StromTrooper banner

161 - 176 of 176 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Standard m5 thread, length - depending on your spacer thickness, I used 25mm, flange button head in stainless to keep it neat.

·
Registered
73 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
My Augustus deflectors worked so well on my 2012 that I added them to my 2013 as well. My wife says she now has no buffeting at highway speeds anymore (but still hates the highway). VERY pleased with the results and they look cool too
How or where do I go to purchase Augustus deflectors?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just tested the Augustus Deflectors, they really help. Between those and my givi screen, I am really enjoying longer trips much more.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Wind Deflectors my way

After about 3 different variants I have settled on a final design. Attached is a template if you choose to try and roll your own......

1. Roughly cut out patterns
2. Spray one side of pattern with 3M super 77 aerosol glue
3. Apply pattern to Acrylic sheet (Note: leave protective static cling on Acrylic, apply pattern on top of protective coating)
4. Rough cut around template with a rotary tool like a Dremel
5. Carefully sand (I have a 1" upright belt sander) away material until you reach the template outline
6. Hand sand the edges and drill hole
7. Peel off template and protecting coating
8. Heat and bend mounting offset
9. Heat and bend concave radius

I used 1/8" Acrylic sheeting and a heat gun to form.

Attachments

·
Registered
111 Posts
Finally fixed the buffeting and noise issues. I bought the V-Stream touring windscreen for my 2012 dl650a, which got rid of about 70% of buffeting and noise from the wind. I am able to see over the top by about 2". I saw a used MRA touring auxiliary screen on Ebay, won the bidding, and added it to the top of the V-Stream. That took care of the buffeting at the top of my helmet, adding a good 3-4" of calm air (I am 6'3"). Next, I bought on Ebay a couple of add-on windscreens/spoilers that are supposed to clamp onto the top of the existing Suzuki screen, but I added them to the lower sides of the V-Stream. They were about $20. a piece, and are adjustable. They won't work well on the stock windscreen as the clamp is very large and the screen has creases which distorts the view. I already had the black plastic side Augustus winglets and mirror extenders. I drove the 650 up to about 84 MPH with no issues, but it's a little more sensitive to wind gusts. I also have to look through the MRA screen, which has not been a big issue so far. You can adjust out most of the reflections, and the MRA is well made and sturdy.

Spoilers:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/302615538923

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Deflectors + loose headlight screw...need help!!

Received the deflectors and installed the left one, no issues. But the right screw on the headlight was free and kept rotating (I had some insurance work done and looks like the dealer messed it up) so I had to force the screw out. And as seen in pics out came the washer and the nut too. dont even mention the damage :( I can live with it if I can install the deflector.

Now, if I try to put the nut and washer back, the nut wont fit in the whole inside the fairing.

The nut is M5 0.8. is that even right? maybe that was the reason the screw kept rotating?

Does anyone know what is wrong or how to fix it?

thks
Manni

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi. Just joined. Just about to do anadv, trip around UK,Scotland,isle of Man and Ireland. The bike is in UK now. We are flying from NZ, ariving 29th July. The bike has an aftermarket blade and looks a bit dodgy . Should I go back to an original. Tony

·
Registered
73 Posts
searched the forum and couldn't find much

any one use this screen or one of these on the stock windscreen ?

I have a tall v stream I use 3/4 of the year but wanting more air flow in the summer months i went with the oem windshield and dont want to spend
$162 on a mra spoiler .

and input would be great

thanks !!

·
Registered
73 Posts
purchased and mounted .

thanks for all the input

·
Registered
33 Posts
Well, I did a silly thing and sent payment via PayPal to Augusta for a set of deflectors. Now seeing how long it's been since last mimo was on, suppose I'll be the Guinea pig to see if he still makes them. Dropped an email as well but haven't heard back yet.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Haven't heard back and nothing in the mail. Suffice to say, I dont think the deflectors are any longer available from mimo. Now to get to making my own.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi all,

re bad Helmet buffeting ….

This is my 1st post, so hopefully it works...

In Dec last year, 2019, I bought a 2016 V Strom 650.
Abosolutly love the bike BUT as with so many others, the wind buffeting my helmet was really bad. Anything over 80kmh wasn't good.

After reading many threads from many sites, i decided to see what i could do about it.

- Firstly I bought the Givi Airflow screen to replace the original. I tried the Givi adjustable screen at different heights. I tried the main fixed screen at the 3 different height settings where it mounts to the bike.
It helped a lot with keeping the wind off me and was a lot quieter. It did stop a little of the buffeting but not a lot. Was great to ride with visor open though.

- 2nd I replaced the stock mirrors with the Aprilia type from Ebay. It was a little quieter but didn't do anything to resolve helmet buffeting at all. I even took the mirrors off completely just to try out, didn't make any difference for me.

-3rd - i tried a different helmet. I have a shark Skawl 2 and tried my sons MT Thunder 3 ... the MT was actually smoother but still getting buffeting.

- 4th. I read about the Augustus wind deflectors. So i made a set up but instead of the Augustus design, i went with this pattern and design that Cineris had put up in post #153.

Winglets Template.jpg

It helped heaps. I was very surprised how much it worked.

It still wasn't a 100% but it was certainly so much better. # So to me , the issue must be in this area mostly.

Next step. I took those "winglets" off, re-heated them with heat gun to re-mould but now rather than just being on a slight angle, which deflects air around, i made them at 90 degrees to the bike.

So rather than deflect air AROUND the deflector on an angle, it was pushing air DOWN and OUT from the bike completely.

Took bike for a ride, even better again !. So this area is the issue for sure.

So next, i added a bit to the original design so that the winglet was longer. Took more air away from further up, re-made a set of the new version tried again.

Wow, - 100% ! I have no helmet buffeting at all, even at 130km/h. ( i even tried my Shark helmet again and was still ok )

To Do :

I went to BCF, ( a boating accessories place) and bought the black plastic box that the starting battery goes into , ie sturdy black plastic that can withstand the elements,

yet am able to easily cut with tin snips and mould using a heat gun.

I cut the battery box up and then traced the design onto it. Made 2 exactly the same and using tin snips cut them out.

Used a file and smoothed up some rough edges etc.

I drilled the holes where the mounting bolt goes through. (still used the original mounting bolt, no need for longer bolt)

I did fit a small rubber 'O' ring washer with the mounting bolt, between the winglet and the bike fairing, just stops plastic to plastic contact.

Made sure the winglet fitted ok and i could easily bolt on.

Took off again and laid it on a piece of timber.

I got the heat gun out, gently and evenly, heated the 'entire' winglet, not too hot or the plastic will start to blister but hot enough that the plastic was malleable.

Once really hot, with gloves on, i attached to the bike with the rubber o ring spacer installed.

Once fitted to bike in correct position, i then moulded, bent out the soft malleable plastic wing section, 90 degrees out, whilst pushing in firmly against the bike so it moulded into shape against the bike.

I then got my girlfriend to use her hair dryer on cold setting and start cooling the deflector whilst i held it in position.

When sufficiently cooled to hold the shape, i removed , put under cold water.

Then attached to the bike. The bonus is, if u get it wrong, simply re heat and do it again.

Once completed, u can remove it, u can trim with the snips, or a file it and just get it exactly right, easy to work with.

Being black, can hardly even notice it on the bike.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

So u need a battery box / good pair Wiss type tin snips / heat gun / hair dryer with cool function / a rubber o ring / bastard file / a drill with suitable drill bit / good leather gloves... thats it

I have attached pics showing -

- original winglet design, on a slight angle where the air is deflected " around " it .

- a pic showing where i re heated the original design and then made it 90 degrees, so air was pushed DOWN and AWAY..

- a pic showing the new improved version, ie longer version, 90 degrees out and how it deflects the air DOWN and AWAY from the bike.

- also a pic showing the pattern i used and a measurements so if you print out and it doesn't print to size, you can expand or shrink until u get same measurements.

Its easy to do, cost is a battery box....

Hopefully this shared info will help others out there enjoy their V strom even more.

cheers Rod ps Im 5' 9" and this was all about helmet buffeting . I still get general buffeting but that's life with a screen...

Attachments

161 - 176 of 176 Posts