StromTrooper banner

141 - 160 of 176 Posts

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I PM'd Augustus and sent PayPal $$$ with info but have not heard a word back from anyone... I'm disappointed at the lack of response/customer service but giving him the benefit of the doubt. I just hope the deflectors show up at my door in the near future.
Maybe you know, but he's just one guy, making these for fellow Stromptroopers as a sideline, and maybe make a few extra bucks for the hobby. He's usually very responsive, but may be delayed if out of town or on vacation.

·
Bikeless 4 now
1,228 Posts
Maybe you know, but he's just one guy, making these for fellow Stromptroopers as a sideline, and maybe make a few extra bucks for the hobby. He's usually very responsive, but may be delayed if out of town or on vacation.
Yes, I do know and understand that, but it's been a week already. I'm hanging in there... no hurry. But I was expecting at least some kind of confirmation, you know. I make stuff on the side too, but I make a point to acknowledge an order immediately. Business is business and a personal reputation no matter how big or small.

·
Bikeless 4 now
1,228 Posts
Well, my deflectors showed up in the mail today and I'll be putting them on this weekend... NICE!!! Of course we supposed to get snow :-(

·
Registered
262 Posts
I've been running a Givi AF and Rick's mirror extenders for a couple of years and they helped smooth out the air flow to what I felt was an acceptable level. I then proceeded to put almost 20k traveling miles on my bike and just made peace with the remaining turbulence. The curiosity finally overwhelmed me and I finally installed a set of Augustus Deflectors on the bike this week and commuted to work with them. I can honestly say that I wish I had these on the bike before my ride to Alaska! It was another incremental step in making the best all-around motorcycle I've owned even better.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'm still not satisfied with what I've added but I'll probably have to get a different windscreen. I have the Augustus air deflectors and the mirror extenders but still get a good amount of air buffeting. I'm 6' and have a redone Rick Meyer seat that sets me up higher than my Cee Bailey can handle so that'll be my next buy I would guess.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Just tried out my Augustus air deflectors .....Pretty happy with the results. Most of the head buffeting is gone. So I have the givi airflow, the mirror extenders (stock mirrors) and the deflectors and most of my wind issues are gone. Thanks!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Glad they are working out for you!

Just tried out my Augustus air deflectors .....Pretty happy with the results. Most of the head buffeting is gone. So I have the givi airflow, the mirror extenders (stock mirrors) and the deflectors and most of my wind issues are gone. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts
Looking to purchase and ship these deflectors to Ottawa/Canada. PM sent.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I hacked together some similar deflectors to the Augustus ones. Just got back from 1500 miles and I seem to have noticed a big increase in gas mileage. Has anyone else noticed this?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I hacked together some similar deflectors to the Augustus ones. Just got back from 1500 miles and I seem to have noticed a big increase in gas mileage. Has anyone else noticed this?
I didn't notice any discernable difference with mine. If anything, one would think it might slightly improve fuel economy, as wind that would just be slamming into you or the bike is being more gently moved out of the way, ie, more aeordynamic. Could it have been you were just traveling faster on average? There is a huge difference in MPG just between 60 and 75 mph. You'll also take a big hit with hills and headwinds.

·
Bikeless 4 now
1,228 Posts
My Augustus deflectors worked so well on my 2012 that I added them to my 2013 as well. My wife says she now has no buffeting at highway speeds anymore (but still hates the highway). VERY pleased with the results and they look cool too :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just made myself a set of these this past weekend, and MAN does it make a difference!! No more cold wind being funneled right to my torso, now more buffeting around my belly at speed. I perhaps didn't do the best job at cutting and sanding them, so I'm going to end up painting them black to make them look a bit better than they currently do, but as far as being functional, they're fantastic!

I used 2mm polycarbonate, and I wish I had went with 3mm. I ended up having to make an extra because the first one shattered when I went to drill it. Finally "drilled" it with a Dremel and a conical sander, and that worked well. I had to drill a 5/16" hole, because I went with rubber grommets instead of washers, to fully isolate the plastic from the bolts. I'll post pictures after I get them painted.

Also, I used a heat gun to heat the plastic for bending, and I found that 550˚F is perfect for heating it enough to be flexible without bubbling/melting the plastic.

One thing I wanted to share was the template I made. I took [email protected]'s picture that he posted of his template, threw it into a vector image editor, and made a PDF with a perfectly sized (15cm wide) template.

The PDF is too big to attach, so here's a Google Drive link to it: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8SbM4d7QGg5aWRpUER0ZkRLMUU

Also, I've attached a PNG version if you prefer, just be sure to print it out at 15cm wide for correct sizing.
EDIT: I just realized that ST compressed the image when I attached it, so it is a lot smaller than I intended it to be. You can still print and use it if you prefer, but be warned that if you print it at the correct size, it will become very pixelated.

Hope this helps someone out. Cheers!

Attachments

·
Registered
894 Posts
I've never used one nor have I seen one in person. I'd be concerned about the guillotine effect when it comes flying off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
No new wind control threads are allowed as there would be too many to follow. This seemed to be the most appropriate sticky for a wind deflector.

·
Registered
159 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
I have the Made in Canada version on both my bikes. By adjusting the angle of the extension, I can fine tune the air flow above the helmet for the quietest ride.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I've just made and fitted a pair of deflectors and very surprised at the positive effect they have.
I still get the subtle but annoying thrum/vibration from turbulence around my helmet from the Givi Airflow so more work on that is required!

·
Registered
73 Posts
I just made myself a set of these this past weekend, and MAN does it make a difference!! No more cold wind being funneled right to my torso, now more buffeting around my belly at speed. I perhaps didn't do the best job at cutting and sanding them, so I'm going to end up painting them black to make them look a bit better than they currently do, but as far as being functional, they're fantastic!

I used 2mm polycarbonate, and I wish I had went with 3mm. I ended up having to make an extra because the first one shattered when I went to drill it. Finally "drilled" it with a Dremel and a conical sander, and that worked well. I had to drill a 5/16" hole, because I went with rubber grommets instead of washers, to fully isolate the plastic from the bolts. I'll post pictures after I get them painted.

Also, I used a heat gun to heat the plastic for bending, and I found that 550˚F is perfect for heating it enough to be flexible without bubbling/melting the plastic.

One thing I wanted to share was the template I made. I took [email protected]'s picture that he posted of his template, threw it into a vector image editor, and made a PDF with a perfectly sized (15cm wide) template.

The PDF is too big to attach, so here's a Google Drive link to it: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8SbM4d7QGg5aWRpUER0ZkRLMUU

Also, I've attached a PNG version if you prefer, just be sure to print it out at 15cm wide for correct sizing.
EDIT: I just realized that ST compressed the image when I attached it, so it is a lot smaller than I intended it to be. You can still print and use it if you prefer, but be warned that if you print it at the correct size, it will become very pixelated.

Hope this helps someone out. Cheers!
thanks!!

does anyone know of the bolt length thread and pitch i would need ? so i can get everything before i disassemble it

141 - 160 of 176 Posts