StromTrooper banner
101 - 120 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I don't want to be unfair with AGV Numo EVO. You can crack-open it but for my liking it was just too much. The opening is like 20mm while on AGV K3 SV is like 1-2mm.

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
Finally got around to installing the side deflectors. I'll be going out for a ride tonight to test the difference.

Thank you @bosnjo! Your instructions were perfect.

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
Man, they don't look look right. Any chance they are upside down?
I sure hope not!

The idea is to catch that ugly wind that comes hard and fast up the side of the fairing and channel it down in a controlled fashion... the result is less turbulence around the lower helmet.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I sure hope not!

The idea is to catch that ugly wind that comes hard and fast up the side of the fairing and channel it down in a controlled fashion... the result is less turbulence around the lower helmet.
did you get a chance to try it yet? I'm interested in getting/making some if they work!

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I see we have the same setup. Givi Airflow, bar risers, Givi Tank Lock, GS Wind Deflectors, mirror extenders, RAM Mount...

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
did you get a chance to try it yet? I'm interested in getting/making some if they work!
I'm heading out again this evening. First test was very promising, but it was a really windy night last night. Heading out again this evening and then I'll provide a final review.

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
Great improvement in fairing wind management. That turbulence that would converge under my helmet is now gone, even when using my small tank bag. Before I had to use my large tank bag to tolerate that side fairing wind turbulence. Fantastic!

I can ride at 70mph comfortably with helmet up (modular), in fact I would argue it's smoother with helmet up than with helmet and visor down.

There was still some wind hitting my shoulders coming from between the bottom of the Givi AF and the top of the new side deflectors. I mounted my old "Augusta Deflectors" in that position and I now have a bike I could cross the continent with modular helmet up... I am very happy with the results. I may one day replace/remake the "Augusta Deflectors" with custom shaped tinted acrylic for a nicer look.

70-80MPH, modular helmet up, ear plugs in, and Sena playing my favourite tunes with still two more volume notches if needed. I can also have a phone conversation with helmet up at hwy speed. That is a massive improvement over stock.

Thank you all for the patience and advice 😁

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
For those that are trying to figure out the priority to tackle turbulence issues, this would be my priority after what I have learned:

1. Side deflectors. You need to manage that shit wind that comes up around the side of the fairing. For me, this was a large contributor to the turbulence that would converge under my helmet. Start here. I bet it makes a massive difference for most.

2. Givi AirFlow. The funny story here is that I bought one, tried it, hated it, and sold it... last year. After testing/observing where bad wind was coming from, I noticed the windscreen was just 1 variable out of three that need solving. So I bought another one, and I'm of the opinion that it is also a critical variable to being happy with wind management on this bike.

3. Helmet. It is surprising how much a helmet makes a difference. And this has nothing to do with the price of a helmet. We have learned on this thread that some helmets perform much better with respect to turbulence and noise, regardless of price. My new HJC i90 made a big difference. The caveat here is the rider dimensions (including riding gear) matter, since some people will have different results with the same helmet as others.

4. "Augustus Deflectors". I'm using quotes since these were deflectors that were popular for the 2012+ 650. I placed them directly below the lowest part of the Givi AF. See the pictures above. If the Givi AF went down another 3-4 inches on the sides, you wouldn't need these.

Good luck all!

·
Registered
25 Posts
For those that are trying to figure out the priority to tackle turbulence issues, this would be my priority after what I have learned:

1. Side deflectors. You need to manage that shit wind that comes up around the side of the fairing. For me, this was a large contributor to the turbulence that would converge under my helmet. Start here. I bet it makes a massive difference for most.

2. Givi AirFlow. The funny story here is that I bought one, tried it, hated it, and sold it... last year. After testing/observing where bad wind was coming from, I noticed the windscreen was just 1 variable out of three that need solving. So I bought another one, and I'm of the opinion that it is also a critical variable to being happy with wind management on this bike.

3. Helmet. It is surprising how much a helmet makes a difference. And this has nothing to do with the price of a helmet. We have learned on this thread that some helmets perform much better with respect to turbulence and noise, regardless of price. My new HJC i90 made a big difference. The caveat here is the rider dimensions (including riding gear) matter, since some people will have different results with the same helmet as others.

4. "Augustus Deflectors". I'm using quotes since these were deflectors that were popular for the 2012+ 650. I placed them directly below the lowest part of the Givi AF. See the pictures above. If the Givi AF went down another 3-4 inches on the sides, you wouldn't need these.

Good luck all!
I've noticed that putting a hand (or hands if I have the throttle lock on) where you put the deflectors definitely lessens the wind noise. Will have to try them.
While prepping for a ride from NC to Dead Horse, Alaska several years ago I experimented with several helmets to see which was the quietest - generally, the one with the fewest air vents, scoops, etc were the quietest.

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
Quote from the blog:

"GO TINY/without or GO HUGE! Why do I say this? Because that’s also my experience from the 6 bikes I’ve owned so far. The only bike I truly enjoyed riding long stretches of highway on, was my BMW R1200RT. It has a huge screen which is electronically adjustable. On the highway I always had it in the top position, reaching well over my head. After this, my Buell 1125CR (naked), BMW R1150 Rockster (naked) and my Yamaha XJ600S (removed screen), were the most enjoyable on the highway. Next to this I owned a Honda Interceptor and currently I own a Yamaha FJ09 / MT09 Tracer. Both have a medium screen and both are exhausting to ride long stretches of highway on."

Replace FJ09/MT09 with "Vstrom" and it rings even truer.

So who's got the tallest, fattest screen for our bikes? :p

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
Another excellent video.. which might have been posted before:

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
I have been tinkering with my setup because of continued buffeting on the sides of the helmet. I put the standard height seat back on (I had the OEM Low Seat) and that buffeting is now near my arm pits. So for those that run the low seat, you are going to struggle with buffeting because of of being lowered in the cockpit with the lower seat.

Along with putting the higher seat back on, I put ~10mm spacer on the bottom windshield mount of the Givi AirFlow. That made a huge difference. Tilting the AF back and leveraging its’ jet stream by pointing it at my helmet has made for much improved setup. On full tilt I get a nice clean AirFlow right at the top of my helmet. Tilt it back one click and the air goes silent.

I really like full tilt with the top screen extended towards me to push that vacuum a bit further behind me when cruising on the highways.

My neighbour and I switched bikes for a twisty back country ride and that RT windscreen is special and I realized I had to keep working on the Vee.

Recap:

- Dropping down in the cockpit with a low seat results in buffeting around the helmet. Very hard to get rid of other than lifting yourself higher in the cockpit.

- Adding spacers to the bottom of the windscreen mounts adds tilt, smoother airflow, and reduces the vacuum pressure by adding air flow under the windscreen.

A couple of pics.

Look how much tilt you get on the AF with those ~10mm spacers. That's full top screen extension on low tilt.

Spacers and new screws:

Low tilt, full extension. Extending the screen in low tilt brings the top screen closer to your helmet while allowing easy viewing over it. (5 foot 8, 30 inch inseam). Great for highway riding.

Top screen fully contracted, low tilt setting. Great for back country riding and getting fresh air into your vents.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
Another update to track my journey into minimizing buffeting on my 2018 1000XT.

I came across this video and the guy nails it. That air rushing from the sides/below to fill the vacuum is the infamous source of buffeting that a lot of us have been chasing down. I installed prototype 1, and yep what a difference, especially with cross wind management... big cross wind night and the minimization of that insane cross wind noise and turbulence is significant!

Once you get that Givi AirFlow on there, and you're still unhappy with ping pong game the Vee is playing with your head at higher speeds (60MPH+), focus on that source of air that is just waiting to fill the vacuum generated by the windscreen... typically low sides and find a way to direct that air away from your body... which is where all that air eventually converges and swirls into that awful buffeting. There's a reason Harley/Cruisers run "lowers" 😁

101 - 120 of 135 Posts