StromTrooper banner
121 - 135 of 135 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
It surprised me, but changing the mirrors made a big difference.
I'm going to go with bar end mirrors to move them low and further out. I think you are right after playing with wind testing for the past several months. You can clearly feel the turbulence start right after the mirrors disrupt the air flow.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I see this thread a lot, but finally thought to write something. Bar ends would probably really help. I happened to break my left side mirror, so I just bought a cheapo (and somewhat normal looking) replacement pair. They seem to have less area and a different shape. Maybe because they're smaller, they might be a little closer as well, but I was pleasantly surprised by the difference.

I noticed a somewhat quieter space when I stand on the pegs to stretch. I've been eyeing the stock windscreen and maybe trimming off the top part of it. It seems to have a lot of fine scratches and always looks filthy, so cutting it off (neatly) couldn't look any worse. There are probably lots of used ones if I don't like it, or I can upgrade to something better.

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
I went for a rip with the mirrors off, BIG difference. And I've tried OEM, OEM with extenders, SV mirrors, SV mirrors with extenders, in the order of worst to better.

However, with the mirrors off that side buffeting is reduced significantly! So I'm now looking at bar end mirrors, for an ADV bike... I've ordered three types and will try them all 😁

I'm getting close to selling this bike because of this issue.

I need a long distance, comfortable bike, that doesn't continually bitch slap me every time I go past 60MPH. The DL1000 is proving to not be that bike.

·
Registered
71 Posts
LOL, love it. If you could transplant that fairing/screen to a DL I would do it!

I rode my friends 2005 RT1200 and I was very impressed with the fairing and motorized screen.
Let me know how the mirror trials go. I’m very interested in changing the OEM mirrors but not sure which ones to purchase.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just returned to the V-Strom world with a 2018 DL1000. Looking to tweak the wind management a bit. First bought the V-Stream windshield - not a significant change, but I did want a shield that I could run in the lowest position and least angle, while still giving good coverage as that's what I've seen work best for me on other bikes. I knew from experience that the winglets on a Super Tenere work well, so I decided to make my own:

Pattern

Cut and formed out of 1/16" aluminum:

Painted and installed:

I made then about as big as I could to fill up the space. They are attached with 3M automotive trim tape. And the buffeting is gone!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Ingenious. I can’t tell the angle you have the vortex generators at but what you’ve done, it looks like to me at least, is raise the air pressure behind the screen to force the high speed air further back. When the air hits the low pressure area it will curl in.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I wanted to add my $.02 to the discussion. I'm coming from a '07 DL650 that was fantastic on the highway - 800 mile days were easy and comfortable. The '18 DL1000? Not so much. Even after adding a Givi Airflow, the buffeting was almost making me ill. At 500 miles in a day, I'd had about all I could take. I'm 5'10 with a 34" inseam and sleeve length - Mr. average.

Well, I've added those $25/pr Tuono mirrors and 2" mirror extenders - the buffeting is much better. I'm also running the protaper high adventure bar un cut. I have the Givi Airflow mounted in the middle position on the brackets, and with the windscreen set at its lowest angle, and the Airflow blade position with 1" or so of track on the bottom showing under the adjusters, it's now comfortable. Not perfect, not quite as good as my memory of the '07 DL650, but comfortable.

I'll report back after my first 500 mile day.

I might fab up some of those vortex generators, as well. I want to get this thing ready for coast-to-coast!

·
Registered
VStrom DL 1000XA 2019
50 Posts
I wanted to add my $.02 to the discussion. I'm coming from a '07 DL650 that was fantastic on the highway - 800 mile days were easy and comfortable. The '18 DL1000? Not so much. Even after adding a Givi Airflow, the buffeting was almost making me ill. At 500 miles in a day, I'd had about all I could take. I'm 5'10 with a 34" inseam and sleeve length - Mr. average.

Well, I've added those $25/pr Tuono mirrors and 2" mirror extenders - the buffeting is much better. I'm also running the protaper high adventure bar un cut. I have the Givi Airflow mounted in the middle position on the brackets, and with the windscreen set at its lowest angle, and the Airflow blade position with 1" or so of track on the bottom showing under the adjusters, it's now comfortable. Not perfect, not quite as good as my memory of the '07 DL650, but comfortable.

I'll report back after my first 500 mile day.

I might fab up some of those vortex generators, as well. I want to get this thing ready for coast-to-coast!
DC regarding the Tuono mirrors are they a drop in for the V Strom I have a 2019 VStrom 1000 is there a specific diameter that is required - i know the mirrors are an issue I tested the bike without any earlier this summer!

Also for everyone - I'm using a MadStad windshield and absolutely love it no buffeting but there's room for improvement I like DL's idea but would like something a little more discreate probably a winter project

·
Registered
128 Posts
DC regarding the Tuono mirrors are they a drop in for the V Strom I have a 2019 VStrom 1000 is there a specific diameter that is required - i know the mirrors are an issue I tested the bike without any earlier this summer!

Also for everyone - I'm using a MadStad windshield and absolutely love it no buffeting but there's room for improvement I like DL's idea but would like something a little more discreate probably a winter project
They are drop in (I got them off Amazon for $25/pr) 10mm thread and 17mm wrench (although I used crescent wrench for a tighter grip).

You can find them by searching for HTTMT MT385-BK on Amazon.

·
Registered
VStrom DL 1000XA 2019
50 Posts
They are drop in (I got them off Amazon for $25/pr) 10mm thread and 17mm wrench (although I used crescent wrench for a tighter grip).

You can find them by searching for HTTMT MT385-BK on Amazon.
Dave - thanks !

121 - 135 of 135 Posts