StromTrooper banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
18 Vstrom 1000 windscreen

Has anybody tried the Madstad now that they make you buy the adjustable bracket as well as their windscreen? I have had their adjustable bracket with the GIVI shield on my 12 Adventure and love it but now they make you buy the package. I am getting an 18 Strom 1000 next week and I know I will want a new set up. Either GIVI Airflow or Madstad. Thanks for any info.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
I have a 2018 DL 1000 with the Madstad and there Windscreen and it works great for me...:smile2:

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
Revisiting the buffeting issue. I need a solution after today’s ride. Ended up spending the majority of the ride with my visor down to avoid the headache inducing buffeting.

How much higher is the Givi AF than OEM when both are mounted in their lowest positions on the 2018 DL1000?

I found the AF on my 650 was most effective at the lowest settings.

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
So that screen looks a lot bigger and uglier than I remember on my 650 :grin2:

With the low seat, and the Givi screen on the lowest mounts, I can see over the screen.. just. I was worried about that with the low seat so I'm happy with the results.

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
So the results are in. I'm returning the AF. It wasn't any better than my stock screen with the ebay lip. The worst part was the light reflection off my headlight causing visibility issues.

Since I bolted it on the bike to test I have to go through a 'warranty' claim process. I'm going to take pictures of the light reflection this evening for the warranty claim and I'll post them here for reference.

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
It could be my bright LEDs are compounding the issue. I was spoiled with my previous AirFlow where I could ride visor up at 70-80MPH comfortably.

·
Vendor
5,172 Posts
Could be, but I have heard that comment before. That is how I know about the paint.

My enthusiasm starts with my efforts and research to fix the problems with my 2003 ST1300. The stock screen creating such a difference in pressure front to back that bugs would hit the back side of the screen and a steady force pushing my head forward that resulted in neck and back pain. The stock screen was not quite tall enough for me which caused a little bit of buffeting.

I did some reading on wind screen design, compression jest, expansion jets, laminar lips, etc., and starting making a number of various little extensions for the after market shield I had purchased. It was not hard to create an improvement, but they were not professional looking.

Time went on, I got my Vee2 and the search for another screen began again. What followed deserves its own blog because it was way to big for a post, but it all comes down to differential pressure front to back, distance to the riders head, air sliding over other streams of air, and height. Marketing types want us to think in terms of brands, but the name on the screen does nothing to direct air.

The Vee2/Vee3 has built in tilt options. That helps quite a bit.

I'll try to remember the night time glare comments when recommending the air flow. If anyone thinks it is a problem I would suggest using tape to determine how far up on the base shield black out needs to occur. It easy and reversible.

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
Could be, but I have heard that comment before. That is how I know about the paint.

My enthusiasm starts with my efforts and research to fix the problems with my 2003 ST1300. The stock screen creating such a difference in pressure front to back that bugs would hit the back side of the screen and a steady force pushing my head forward that resulted in neck and back pain. The stock screen was not quite tall enough for me which caused a little bit of buffeting.

I did some reading on wind screen design, compression jest, expansion jets, laminar lips, etc., and starting making a number of various little extensions for the after market shield I had purchased. It was not hard to create an improvement, but they were not professional looking.

Time went on, I got my Vee2 and the search for another screen began again. What followed deserves its own blog because it was way to big for a post, but it all comes down to differential pressure front to back, distance to the riders head, air sliding over other streams of air, and height. Marketing types want us to think in terms of brands, but the name on the screen does nothing to direct air.

The Vee2/Vee3 has built in tilt options. That helps quite a bit.

I'll try to remember the night time glare comments when recommending the air flow. If anyone thinks it is a problem I would suggest using tape to determine how far up on the base shield black out needs to occur. It easy and reversible.
Good points! I should probably pull the AF out again, since I'm waiting on warranty confirmation anyway and perform some tests. Black electrical tape would do the trick and could solve that problem, assuming it's the base screen causing the reflections.

And to be fair, the day I tested it on the road it was a very gusty day, so I was getting hammered from the sides.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Is there a better option, at the same price point, than the AF?
This definitely seems "better" to me. To my eye it's better-looking too; outside the USA, Suzuki sells a "V-Strom DL1000 Vario Touring Windscreen, Clear" part# 990D0-31J50-CLE

Note the curled lip at the bottom and the round, beaded edge (and the adjustable airflow spoiler of course). Despite it's much lower price, I wasn't convinced that the OEM 2017 windscreen would be enough improvement over the 2014-2016 windscreen. This works very well and it looks good on the bike too.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Guys. You just need this one :

Or

·
Registered
203 Posts
Good points! I should probably pull the AF out again, since I'm waiting on warranty confirmation anyway and perform some tests. Black electrical tape would do the trick and could solve that problem, assuming it's the base screen causing the reflections.

And to be fair, the day I tested it on the road it was a very gusty day, so I was getting hammered from the sides.
what did you end up doing?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Guys. You just need this one :

Or
intresting, would love to know how it performs.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Just wondering what is the preferred method of getting rid of buffeting? Having all the wind redirected above the helmet, or just have 'clean' air hit the helmet?

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
Just wondering what is the preferred method of getting rid of buffeting? Having all the wind redirected above the helmet, or just have 'clean' air hit the helmet?
The majority of the remaining "buffeting" air I deal with is coming from the side fairings, hitting the body just below the helmet. So I'm designing some deflectors to solve for that.

Everyone is different, so ride with what you have, and start figuring out where your bad air is coming from, then solve for it through a process of elimination. I solved the top of helmet bad air with a small addon deflector on the top of the OEM windscreen.

If you're in Ottawa, and you want a Givi for a '18 DL1000, let me know. Brand new in the box :p

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
what did you end up doing?
Sorry, I've been off the boards recovering from surgery.

I ditched the AF, went back to my $30 Ebay spoiler attached to my OEM windscreen.

Now I'm working on deflectors to add to the fairing to solve for that bad air hitting the body just under the helmet.

I did not find the AF to be as good as it was on my 2015 DL650. So it's new, in the box, wondering what to do with it :)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Sorry, I've been off the boards recovering from surgery.

I ditched the AF, went back to my $30 Ebay spoiler attached to my OEM windscreen.

Now I'm working on deflectors to add to the fairing to solve for that bad air hitting the body just under the helmet.

I did not find the AF to be as good as it was on my 2015 DL650. So it's new, in the box, wondering what to do with it :)
no worries, hope your recovery is going well.

I've moved the stock screen up to the top holes and on the highest setting, think im just under it now..... or the new speakers in an updated helmet make it less noticeable.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
I'm trying one of the Amazon clip-ons. Initial thoughts after 15 minute ride around town is that it is a bit heavy for the oem windshield on my 2018 XT. It seems to cause the windshield to bounce on the bumps. The silver clamp also reflects the sun and was a bit distracting. I'll comment further after trying it at speed...

41 - 60 of 61 Posts