StromTrooper banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
I do not quite understand the ‘buffeting’ thing. Can someone point me in a direction to learn what this is? I have never experienced my helmet being ‘jostled’ while riding. Is there any other symptoms of buffeting? So if it does happen, I can put a name, and solution to work.

2018 V-Strom 1000 XT
Past Rides:
2008 BMW K1200S, 2005(x2) Triumph Sprint ST 1050, 2005 BMW R1150R, 2004 Suzuki Intruder 1500, 2003 Yamaha 650 V-Star,1992 Honda 125 Enduro
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
384 Posts
I have fitted a 2018 model screen on my 2014 DL1000A and the annoying buffeting that I had with the old screen in many of the positions went away. Some people still have a buffeting issue with the 2018 OEM screen but for my mate (who has changed to the newer screen too) and I the change has been remarkable, considering that it doesn't look that different to the old one and isn't anywhere near the size of a Givi Aiflow.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I do not quite understand the ‘buffeting’ thing. Can someone point me in a direction to learn what this is? I have never experienced my helmet being ‘jostled’ while riding. Is there any other symptoms of buffeting? So if it does happen, I can put a name, and solution to work.

2018 V-Strom 1000 XT
Past Rides:
2008 BMW K1200S, 2005(x2) Triumph Sprint ST 1050, 2005 BMW R1150R, 2004 Suzuki Intruder 1500, 2003 Yamaha 650 V-Star,1992 Honda 125 Enduro
I had a small GIVI universal wind/fly screen on my SV650 when I first got it years ago. It looked pretty good and kept the wind off my chest, but it did seem to blast my helmet. Most of the time it was pretty even, but at certain speeds or wind direction, it felt like somebody was repeatedly slapping my helmet on one side then the other. Besides screen design, speed, and wind, rider height and position is also a factor.

·
Premium Member
4,103 Posts
I looked at the Puig 7229 instructions. One is to loosely fasten down one side of the screen, then push and stretch the screen to line up the holes on the other side.
So, it isn't formed properly to begin with?
Are the Givi screens like this too?

·
Registered
426 Posts
I installed a Puig 7229 this past weekend. The holes are in the ballpark of correct and so you'll need to help things along. The V Strom's windshield ratchet mechanism is sort of a wobbly thing, so it's hard to place the blame. As to stretching the Puig- it's pretty thick and strong, and it's not going to stretch.

Btw, I didn't ride a lot with the Puig, but the Puig seems to work pretty good. I have it mounted in the lowest position, and tilted one click from all the way leaned back. I can look over the top of the Puig shield just the way I like it, but not get an air stream on my helmet.

Anyone else try the Puig 7229?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Installed my Kappa Airstream (It's a Givi screen with a Kappa sticker over the logo) and I iust "blow" away the factory screen and the Madstad bracket/screen combo I had on my 650.

It so quiet now I might try to ride without earplug again.

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
So far the Givi Airflow seems to smooth out the air stream, but I sure don't like the bulged rim at the top. Very annoying and much prefer the cut edge on the Windstrom Manta on my 650.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Buffeting

2018 V-Strom 1000 XT
Past Rides:
Imagine your pillion shaking you around your shoulders! Blurred vision, just one of the affects. It all changes with speed. Worst bike I ever tried was a VFR800, despite all the rave reviews. Vibration through the bars, that transfered to the foot pegs as the speed rose, then the seat. Then my knees started flapping in the slipstream, then my non existant pillion gave me a good shaking. Something about that bike I did not like!

So far on my 2017 Strom I have fited a Puig visor that sort of improved things, I then tried rubber grommits on the lower screen bolts that tipped the screen back a little more. Slight improvement.
I then bought the Givi Airflow and it is not the wonderful screen as many people have said for me. 5' 10" 32" inside leg. I find on the lowest setting set right back it is good at lower speeds, on the motorway pushed upright is best, but still not great. On higher settings it obscures the road and not much improvement, and with all our potholes I need a clear view of where the next the hole is. We used to ride on the left, now we ride on whats left!
I had a CalSci screen on my Stelvio, with NACA hole, worked great. I made a similar NACA hole on my Caponord and it worked great on that as well, so looking at CalSci's site I am going to try a similar hole on the stock screen., it's sitting there taking up space so why not. It either works or not.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
I installed a Puig 7229 this past weekend. The holes are in the ballpark of correct and so you'll need to help things along. The V Strom's windshield ratchet mechanism is sort of a wobbly thing, so it's hard to place the blame. As to stretching the Puig- it's pretty thick and strong, and it's not going to stretch.

Btw, I didn't ride a lot with the Puig, but the Puig seems to work pretty good. I have it mounted in the lowest position, and tilted one click from all the way leaned back. I can look over the top of the Puig shield just the way I like it, but not get an air stream on my helmet.

Anyone else try the Puig 7229?
I had an airstream on my 2014 and it was great, but i was just looking at the Puig as a cheaper option. How are you liking yours now that you've got 6 months of use on it?

·
Registered
553 Posts
I'm getting no real buffeting on my '18 Strom 1000. The new designed windshield works fine for me.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I had an airstream on my 2014 and it was great, but i was just looking at the Puig as a cheaper option. How are you liking yours now that you've got 6 months of use on it?
Hard to say exactly because it's the only windshield I've used, but here goes.

The Puig worked pretty good for me this summer. I rode about 3000 miles, with about 2500 of those miles two up. The Puig seemed to work better when riding solo.

Mount position is important. I used it in the lowest mounted position except for one time when I had it in the middle attachment position. I didn't like the middle bolt-on height and returned to the lowest bolt-on position. I did add 5mm thick spacers between the windshield and the mounting arms to allow a little more space for air to travel "thru" the windshield, and these spacers did improve the windshield just a bit. It might be worthwhile to cut off a little (an inch or so?) off the very bottom of the Puig to allow more air to flow "thru" the windshield.

The Puig windshield works very well with the V Strom 1000's windshield angle easy adjustment. The closest angle position provides nice steady clean air, allowing the helmet vents to do their thing. The next position is a good compromise between deflecting bugs and minimal buffet. The most forward position really keeps the bugs off my face shield, but tends to rattle the helmet at times. And this all changes with relative wind speed.

All of this will be dependent on your "sitting" height, meaning, how high is your helmet in relationship to the top of the windshield. For reference, I'm 5' 11" with 32" inseam, and I have a modified seat which holds me just a tad taller than the stock seat. It seems that if I were sitting an inch lower, the Puig would be almost calm.

And of course, strong cross winds really mess things up.

One thing else to note, is helmet choice. Some helmets will catch the top turbulence and make a small situation horrible. I have a Shoei GT Air which is exactly that- a small amount of turbulence sounds like a jet engine. On the contrast, I have a Scorpion EXO 1000 which is just a tad small, so not so comfortable, but the EXO is substantially less noisy. Plus, the EXO doesn't fog very easily. So much for "pay more, get more".

Hope all this helps.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Hard to say exactly because it's the only windshield I've used, but here goes.

The Puig worked pretty good for me this summer. I rode about 3000 miles, with about 2500 of those miles two up. The Puig seemed to work better when riding solo.

Mount position is important. I used it in the lowest mounted position except for one time when I had it in the middle attachment position. I didn't like the middle bolt-on height and returned to the lowest bolt-on position. I did add 5mm thick spacers between the windshield and the mounting arms to allow a little more space for air to travel "thru" the windshield, and these spacers did improve the windshield just a bit. It might be worthwhile to cut off a little (an inch or so?) off the very bottom of the Puig to allow more air to flow "thru" the windshield.

The Puig windshield works very well with the V Strom 1000's windshield angle easy adjustment. The closest angle position provides nice steady clean air, allowing the helmet vents to do their thing. The next position is a good compromise between deflecting bugs and minimal buffet. The most forward position really keeps the bugs off my face shield, but tends to rattle the helmet at times. And this all changes with relative wind speed.

All of this will be dependent on your "sitting" height, meaning, how high is your helmet in relationship to the top of the windshield. For reference, I'm 5' 11" with 32" inseam, and I have a modified seat which holds me just a tad taller than the stock seat. It seems that if I were sitting an inch lower, the Puig would be almost calm.

And of course, strong cross winds really mess things up.

One thing else to note, is helmet choice. Some helmets will catch the top turbulence and make a small situation horrible. I have a Shoei GT Air which is exactly that- a small amount of turbulence sounds like a jet engine. On the contrast, I have a Scorpion EXO 1000 which is just a tad small, so not so comfortable, but the EXO is substantially less noisy. Plus, the EXO doesn't fog very easily. So much for "pay more, get more".

Hope all this helps.
Huge help thank you very much Joe!

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
- 2" on the OEM

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
^

-2" on the OEM shield, lowest setting, spacers on the bottom shield bolts, plus the Seat Concepts 'tall' seat has gotten my personal buffeting issues dialed in. Wind hits me right about nose level now and it's a clean stream of air. When I crack my helmet shield I get a very nice flow of air inside the helmet. I'm quite comfortable up to about 85 mph; after that buffeting returns but it's on par with the previous buffeting so I have no concerns with that.

The shield cut easily using just the duct tape as a straight edge with a Dremel 'reinforced' cut off wheel, and the edges were then rounded / beveled with a bastard file. Spacers are leftover from some other project and are hard nylon, approx 12mm thick.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Hows the lower screen holding up? I am thinking about getting a vstream small wind screen. Any disadvantages with the lower screen?
Holding up fine. No cracking or anything from the cutting if that's what you mean. I did notice that with the screen tilted back (see the spacers on the lower mounts in the above pics) I was getting very clean airflow. However, the bolts on the windscreen just would not stay tight in that configuration - very weird. They would loosen after 100 miles to the point where they were completely separated from the threaded inserts and were just flopping around in the "cups" on the screen. You can't loctite them because loctite will eat the screen / crack it. I ended up removing the spacers and leaving the screen "flat" against the mounts in the factory orientation. This causes a bit more buffeting than previously but still less than before I cut down the shield.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Can't you simply put one nut on the opposite side of the bracket? It means a bit longer screw that would go through the bracket far enough to leave a thread behind the bracket. Holding the head of the screw not to turn and tightening the nut (yes, I know) with the wrench would fix the screw better then any loctite.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
My concern with forcing the windscreen to be angled tight when it clearly doesn't want to be is that the increased vibration causing the bolts to loosen could probably crack the screen if those bolts become immovable.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
But your screen has its rubber bushings, doesn't it? So it's not holding completely tight, it has some room to vibrate freely. If you use "counter nut" the way I explained it, you can even have the screws not completely tight as the counter nut will hold them in place but between the screw and the screen there will be still some room, rubber bushings or not. So, just screw the screws in, the way you like it, keeping them loose a bit if you wish, put the counter nut behind the bracket, hold the head of the screw with allen key and tighten the nut behind. If you don't let the screw turn, it won't tighten against the screen.

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
I've always found it interesting how some have no buffeting and others get progressively concussed on the same bike with the same screen.

I'm still not satisfied with my '18 OEM screen. I'm considering an AF since it did wonders on my '15 650.

Is there a better option, at the same price point, than the AF?

21 - 40 of 52 Posts