StromTrooper banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Vendor
5,166 Posts
I have noticed over the years that people's opinion of the Givi skidpan depends greatly on the riders mission for the bike. Those with harsh comments about it seam to want a substantial skid pan for heavy duty use, like crossing logs and needing to support the bike, and assume anything less is unacceptable. There has also been a tendency to assume that everyone should want a heavy duty skid pan like they want and anything less is "junk" presumably because it will not hold up for challenging single track.

Those who do not need a heavy duty skid plate often love it. I just got a call yesterday from someone who loves his Givi engine protector and wanted to tell me so. I also believe these riders makes up about 98% (SWAG) of V-Strom owners.

In the end it always comes down to why the owner thinks he (or maybe why they think everyone) should want a skid pan. My personal opinion is the Givi is a viable choice for anyone not riding challenging single track and concerned with protecting their oil filter from flying stones and debris. It is a much better choice for its mission than a skid pan that looks like, and sold as an off-road skid pan that mounts to the engine side case bolt mounting points. They have been proven to be able take a hit, transfer the shock to those side cases and crack and/or break those side cases. Examples exist here on Stromtrooper.

It would also be smart to dwell on the logic behind any other rugged (e.g., thick, strong) skid plate that mounts to the side cases. That is not the same as mounting to the lower spare engine mount on the bottom of the engine. That point is much more robust than the engine side case bolt holes.

Which leads to an even greater possibility for that majority of owners that has not yet been explored.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I have noticed over the years that people's opinion of the Givi skidpan depends greatly on the riders mission for the bike. Those with harsh comments about it seam to want a substantial skid pan for heavy duty use, like crossing logs and needing to support the bike, and assume anything less is unacceptable. There has also been a tendency to assume that everyone should want a heavy duty skid pan like they want and anything less is "junk" presumably because it will not hold up for challenging single track.

Those who do not need a heavy duty skid plate often love it. I just got a call yesterday from someone who loves his Givi engine protector and wanted to tell me so. I also believe these riders makes up about 98% (SWAG) of V-Strom owners.

In the end it always comes down to why the owner thinks he (or maybe why they think everyone) should want a skid pan. My personal opinion is the Givi is a viable choice for anyone not riding challenging single track and concerned with protecting their oil filter from flying stones and debris. It is a much better choice for its mission than a skid pan that looks like, and sold as an off-road skid pan that mounts to the engine side case bolt mounting points. They have been proven to be able take a hit, transfer the shock to those side cases and crack and/or break those side cases. Examples exist here on Stromtrooper.

It would also be smart to dwell on the logic behind any other rugged (e.g., thick, strong) skid plate that mounts to the side cases. That is not the same as mounting to the lower spare engine mount on the bottom of the engine. That point is much more robust than the engine side case bolt holes.

Which leads to an even greater possibility for that majority of owners that has not yet been explored.
This is a salient point and an issue I brouht in my first post. The Ravetech uses an exhaust and side stand bolt for the rear mounting point and the spare engine mount on the bottom of the engine for the front mount. It's much thicker than I thought it would be too.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Morning Troopers,

A quick note to share my thoughts on the Ravetech Mini Skid Plate. It came in yesterday. Extremely well packaged and it looks like it is high quality. The hardware seems good and the powder coat was thick and consistent. Photos with step by step installation instructions are included. Installation was easy. The only remotely negative comment I have is in regards to the factory lower plastic cowl. It does fit over the skid plate and looks awesome when installed, but, it barely fits....you have to do a little tugging and pulling to get it to fit. It is about as close to not fitting as you can get.

As far as my thoughts on how "functional" it is...... I am an avid dirt biker. So, I am familiar with big log crossings and that kind of thing. The mounting brackets for this skid plate would bend and buckle if you ever put the weight of the bike on it - during a log crossing or in an attempt to get over a large obstacle. But, I do believe that if you misjudged the height of a rock or did not account for suspension loading, the Ravetech Mini could take a light to moderate strike without deforming the bracket or placing too much force on the engine case - which this plate does bolt to. I think the bracket would bend before the case would be damaged because it uses the hole that goes all the way through the case....not just an engine cover bolt.

Anyway, I think it will be perfect for what I intend to use if for.

All the best,
Ray

·
Registered
636 Posts
Thanks for the report. I'm not into heavy offroading, more like fire roads and it is nice that it fits under the Suzuki plastic guard...even with a bit of wiggling (y)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Morning Troopers,

A quick note to share my thoughts on the Ravetech Mini Skid Plate. It came in yesterday. Extremely well packaged and it looks like it is high quality. The hardware seems good and the powder coat was thick and consistent. Photos with step by step installation instructions are included. Installation was easy. The only remotely negative comment I have is in regards to the factory lower plastic cowl. It does fit over the skid plate and looks awesome when installed, but, it barely fits....you have to do a little tugging and pulling to get it to fit. It is about as close to not fitting as you can get.

As far as my thoughts on how "functional" it is...... I am an avid dirt biker. So, I am familiar with big log crossings and that kind of thing. The mounting brackets for this skid plate would bend and buckle if you ever put the weight of the bike on it - during a log crossing or in an attempt to get over a large obstacle. But, I do believe that if you misjudged the height of a rock or did not account for suspension loading, the Ravetech Mini could take a light to moderate strike without deforming the bracket or placing too much force on the engine case - which this plate does bolt to. I think the bracket would bend before the case would be damaged because it uses the hole that goes all the way through the case....not just an engine cover bolt.

Anyway, I think it will be perfect for what I intend to use if for.

All the best,
Ray
Would you contact Ravtech about the fit? I did, but they sort of blew me off as if I was the only one that had an issue. They need to fix it.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts