ABS conversion possible? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
V-Strom Service and Maintenance Questions and Discussions Share your service and maintenance information-questions. Please include your year and model in the text of your post.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 08-23-2010, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Western Massachusetts
Posts: 8
ABS conversion possible?

Has anyone ever upgraded brakes on non-ABS vstrom to ABS?
How difficult, costly, etc.?
Something a weekend wrencher could handle?

Thanks
Gilligan_1234 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 08-23-2010, 07:08 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
GT_Hawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Brampton, ON, Canada Eh
Posts: 654
http://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php/topic,8106.0.html

peen ported to a Vee several times. but it an't a simple upgrade. Betting the wee is same as the abs box and such is bulky and not sure non abs wee has bene set up to take it easialy (ie the tray under seat of abs wee i believe is diffrent). but sure it can be done.
GT_Hawk is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old 08-23-2010, 07:17 PM
$tromtrooper
 
K1W1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 15,739
Don't bother.

The cost of doing a conversion will be ten times the cost of selling the bike and buying a new one with ABS already installed.
K1W1 is offline  
 
post #4 of 10 Old 08-23-2010, 09:41 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 131
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT_Hawk View Post
http://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php/topic,8106.0.html

been ported to a Vee several times. but it ain't a simple upgrade. Betting the wee is same as the abs box and such is bulky and not sure non abs wee has been set up to take it easily (ie the tray under seat of abs wee i believe is different). but sure it can be done.
Another thread from the same site.
skyguy is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 08-23-2010, 11:02 PM
Cat Herder
 
LowAndSilent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Lynnwood, WA
Posts: 2,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by K1W1 View Post
Don't bother.

The cost of doing a conversion will be ten times the cost of selling the bike and buying a new one with ABS already installed.
This is your answer, right there.

Electronics and hardware (all of the ABS routing, and getting the longer swingarm from an ABS bike) would need to be modified/sourced. Just save yourself the grief and sell your bike and get an ABS one.

'09 VStrom DL650A - Sold.
'04 Suzuki Burgman 400 - The wifes
'08 FJR1300AE - Miss Chievous.

WWGWD?

LowAndSilent is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 08-23-2010, 11:13 PM
$tromtrooper
 
K1W1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 15,739
In case I wasn't clear enough consider two additional complications.

After you have finished you will have to tell your insurance company that you the home mechanic have fundamentally changed the braking system as it was designed and manufactured by a company with thousands of highly trained engineers and that you want your insurance company to continue to insure you.

After you have finished with the insurance company you will have to tell your local DMV that you the home mechanic have fundamentally changed the braking system as it was designed and manufactured by a company with thousands of highly trained engineers and certified by a federal regulatory agency and that you want them to continue to allow you to ride the vehicle on their roads.

Good luck for both and show us the letters in response you get. The laughs will be worth your pain.
K1W1 is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 08-24-2010, 12:00 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
xDownSetx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Escondido, CA
Posts: 860
Garage
He has a 2007, even though it's not an ABS it still has all the mountings for ABS(including the longer swing arm.) Therefore he will be fundamentally changing nothing, just bolting on hardware those highly trained engineers designed to fit on the bike. But I agree, not worth the time or money.

'06 Silver DL1000
xDownSetx is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 08-24-2010, 12:13 AM
Welfare Funder
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: PNW
Posts: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by K1W1 View Post
In case I wasn't clear enough consider two additional complications.

After you have finished you will have to tell your insurance company that you the home mechanic have fundamentally changed the braking system as it was designed and manufactured by a company with thousands of highly trained engineers and that you want your insurance company to continue to insure you.

After you have finished with the insurance company you will have to tell your local DMV that you the home mechanic have fundamentally changed the braking system as it was designed and manufactured by a company with thousands of highly trained engineers and certified by a federal regulatory agency and that you want them to continue to allow you to ride the vehicle on their roads.

Good luck for both and show us the letters in response you get. The laughs will be worth your pain.
Now that's funny right there!

2K7 Wee Strom - MadStad, Givi E52, AdMoreLighting LEDS, Power Outlet, Joe Rocket Tank Bag, Cali-Sci Windscreen (Med), Lowering Links, Center Stand, Richland Fork brace
motox-dan is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 08-24-2010, 12:54 AM
$tromtrooper
 
K1W1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 15,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by xDownSetx View Post
Therefore he will be fundamentally changing nothing,
He is completely changing the braking system that was installed at the factory on his vehicle. That's fundamental in my books.
K1W1 is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 08-26-2010, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Western Massachusetts
Posts: 8
Thanks for feedback

Thanks for all the feedback.
The post saved me some money, time and probably pain.
Gilligan_1234 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome