Throttle Body Sync vs Air Filter box removal - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
V-Strom Service and Maintenance Questions and Discussions Share your service and maintenance information-questions. Please include your year and model in the text of your post.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 09-12-2009, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Junior Trooper
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3
Throttle Body Sync vs Air Filter box removal

I have a throttle body sync issue. According to everything I have read on these forums, all I have to do is install longer tubes on my throttle body vacuum access tubes and from then on it's easy access for synchronization. According to my Haynes service manual synchronization can only be performed with the air filter housing removed.

Has anyone else seen this requirement?

The reason I ask is I have tried synchronizing the throttle bodies with no success. I am certain a synchronization issue is the problem I have. I have replaced plugs and the filter. I still have a bad running condition when in overdrive running around 70. It bucks, sputters and coughs like it is missing. As soon as you rev it, it is great. You do notice the problem in lower gears anytime the engine is around the 3500 rpm range. It's just more noticeable in overdrive.

I recently read on this forum that loose throttle body boots can cause this. I haven't checked that yet, but will as soon as I run the current tank full down where I can easily removed the tank again.
Bdouglas1980 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 09-12-2009, 10:58 PM
$tromtrooper
 
SCraig's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 3,722
I've never removed the air housing for a TBS or any other reason.

I don't think a TBS is going to resolve the problems you are having though.

Scott Craig - Nashville, TN
Red '06 Suzuki DL650 - Red '07 Honda VFR800 - My Bike Page
SCraig is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old 09-14-2009, 04:14 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
condensr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: North Bend WA
Posts: 175
Could also be your fuel pump/filter. Inadequate fuel flow would cause such an issue, as fuel demand goes up the faster you go. Does it exhibit any symptoms going up hills?

DL650K6 in Red
1981 GS1000GL
2002 Subaru Outback VDC H6
condensr is offline  
 
post #4 of 10 Old 09-14-2009, 05:11 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
VtSTROM-K5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Vermont
Posts: 1,944
Send a message via Yahoo to VtSTROM-K5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdouglas1980 View Post
I have a throttle body sync issue. According to everything I have read on these forums, all I have to do is install longer tubes on my throttle body vacuum access tubes and from then on it's easy access for synchronization. According to my Haynes service manual synchronization can only be performed with the air filter housing removed.

Has anyone else seen this requirement?

The reason I ask is I have tried synchronizing the throttle bodies with no success. I am certain a synchronization issue is the problem I have. I have replaced plugs and the filter. I still have a bad running condition when in overdrive running around 70. It bucks, sputters and coughs like it is missing. As soon as you rev it, it is great. You do notice the problem in lower gears anytime the engine is around the 3500 rpm range. It's just more noticeable in overdrive.

I recently read on this forum that loose throttle body boots can cause this. I haven't checked that yet, but will as soon as I run the current tank full down where I can easily removed the tank again.
OK , the Vee 1K is easy to sync if the tubes are installed as you said you did. the problem you are describing is a "Lean mixture "
You don't say what year or Model you are trying to Sync.?
04- 05 1K models were lean in the lower and Mid range and needed to be enriched with a Yosh box treatment [ mine was. it's an 05 Dealer added 1.5 and .5 to the mixture in the low and Mid .. whole new bike . became even better with a 43 tooth rear sprocket tho! ] this gets the RPM's up in a Better operating range also and makes lower speed operation smoother.
Hope this helps It did for me.

2014 V2 DL 1000 25 miles and Onward
IF I only Rode in Good weather..
I WOULDN'T get to Ride in Vermont.at ALL!
we have 2 types of roads in Vermont, Unpaved roads and decaying back to .............Unpaved roads..

2005 DL1000 98,547 miles and continuing in the hands of it's new owner
VtSTROM-K5 is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 09-14-2009, 10:08 PM
$tromtrooper
 
larolco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Langley, BC, Canada
Posts: 2,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdouglas1980 View Post
I have a throttle body sync issue. According to everything I have read on these forums, all I have to do is install longer tubes on my throttle body vacuum access tubes and from then on it's easy access for synchronization. According to my Haynes service manual synchronization can only be performed with the air filter housing removed.

Has anyone else seen this requirement?

The reason I ask is I have tried synchronizing the throttle bodies with no success. I am certain a synchronization issue is the problem I have. I have replaced plugs and the filter. I still have a bad running condition when in overdrive running around 70. It bucks, sputters and coughs like it is missing. As soon as you rev it, it is great. You do notice the problem in lower gears anytime the engine is around the 3500 rpm range. It's just more noticeable in overdrive.

I recently read on this forum that loose throttle body boots can cause this. I haven't checked that yet, but will as soon as I run the current tank full down where I can easily removed the tank again.
If you install extention hoses, you can leave the airbox and tank on the bike. All you need to get to is the adjustment screw, which you can do with a long set of needlenose pliers from the right side of the bike.

DL1000K6 Two wheels good; four wheels bad.
DRZ400SK17
larolco is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 09-14-2009, 11:18 PM
Super Moderator
 
Big B's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Central OHIO "Go Buckeyes"
Posts: 16,515
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by larolco View Post
If you install extention hoses, you can leave the airbox and tank on the bike. All you need to get to is the adjustment screw, which you can do with a long set of needlenose pliers from the right side of the bike.
Or.....you reach in with your hand like I do.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”




Big B is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 09-15-2009, 11:00 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
RockyMtnRoadRash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: SLC UT
Posts: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B View Post
Or.....you reach in with your hand like I do.
You must either have freakish small hands or some top secret route you use to get to it. I can barely SEE the damn thing much less reach it by hand. I salute you sir.

-RMRR
'05 DL1000 - Dead at 66K miles.
Nerding it up at Wheelnerds.com
RockyMtnRoadRash is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 09-15-2009, 11:53 AM
$tromtrooper
 
GRS1959's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Akron, OH
Posts: 850
Send a message via AIM to GRS1959 Send a message via Yahoo to GRS1959
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnRoadRash View Post
You must either have freakish small hands or some top secret route you use to get to it. I can barely SEE the damn thing much less reach it by hand. I salute you sir.
You may have seen Big B in this BK Commercial:




- Gary

Be Ashamed to Die Until You Have Won Some Victory for Humanity. ~Horace Mann

Red DL650K6
GRS1959 is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 09-15-2009, 02:30 PM
$tromtrooper
 
FireDog45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 839
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRS1959 View Post
You may have seen Big B in this BK Commercial:



:lol1: That's just not right!

Steve
09 GSA
Gone but not forgotten:
Blue 2002 Vee
08 KLR
02 ST1100
99 DR350
FireDog45 is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 09-15-2009, 02:50 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
JoWhee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Eastern Ontario, Canada
Posts: 392
You don't always need to take off the tank to check the boots. In my case the throttle bodies were just sitting on top of the boots, I had used a large screwdriver to nudge the bodies to verify this. Also you may have a defective TPS throttle position sensor.

2003 DL 1000
JoWhee is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Tags
throttle body

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome