Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
The Tool List-
I'm a motorcycle repair/maintenance newb... Foregoing the lengthy explanation as to why I come in search of this knowledge, I pose a very simple question:
What tools do you consider essential to working on your motorcycle(s)?
I want to know what would be needed to totally tear down and rebuild a bike as well as everyday troubleshooting and repair tools. I'll start by listing the most basic tools that I already have and/or have used on my bikes as I've gotten started.
- Service manual.
- Screw drivers--flat and philips, in at least three sizes each.
- Good socket set and wrench set.
- Pliers--standard, needle-nose, channel lock, and vice grips.
- Calipers. I find it's much easier to measure a nut or bolt first rather than dig through the sockets or wrenches trying different sizes. Someday I hope to have the eye my grandfather did. That man could eyeball bolt and tell you exactly which wrench to grab.
- Tape measure.
- Torque wrench. I recently purchased a 1/2 inch drive 20-150 ft/lb. just so I could do chain adjustments, but would be open to suggestions for other configurations I may find useful.
So what's in your tool box?? What will us mechanical newbs need as we start getting deeper into our machines? What tool did you have to make that emergency trip to purchase? Here's your chance to share your favorites, your tips, your tricks, your hard-learned lessons, and even your wasted efforts if that's your style!
[SIZE="1"]Orange K9 Wee - Givi guards and screen, Zuk hand-guards, Madstad, Rick's fork brace, Shad topcase, Sargent seat, Rox risers, Vessel luggage bracket and sheepskin, Tuono Mirrors, CL-850 bags, Wolo horn, Powerlet.