Givi crash bars & SWMotech skidplate - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
V-Strom Modifications and Performance The brag page, good and bad.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 02-27-2007, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
ronnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 147
Givi crash bars & SWMotech skidplate

Howdy,

Has anyone installed this combo and would be willing to share some experience regarding the install of the adapter provided by SWMotech.
A close up picture would definitely help.
Thanks
PS. Did I tell you I have had the wee for two weeks. I am now pushing it up to 7krpm and preparing it for some easy trail ballads! I will soon post pictures too.

05 DL1000 Black
09 Versys
--------
06 Wee red (sold for the Versys)
08 Yamaha FZ1 Black (Sold for the Vee)
05 SV650 Blue (sold for the Wee)
02 Triumph Bonneville Red (sold for the Yami)
00 KLR650 Green (sold for the Bonnie)
99 Honda Shadow 650 (Sold for a Kawi KLR650)
--------
Errare humanum est sed persevare diabolicum
ronnie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 02-28-2007, 06:57 PM
$tromtrooper
 
ostion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 122
I just received my skidplate, the crash bars are installed already. To me the problem is not the adaptor that connects them together, it is the bracket where you screw the rear of the skid plate on. This bracket screws on the right (foot) side onto the exhaust holder and two screws on the left (foot.) These two screws are behind the plate for the side stand and there is barely any room to take them off, install the bracket and screw them back on.
Has anybody done this before?

DL 1000 K2
Interceptor '02


Long Beach, CA
ostion is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 02-28-2007, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
ronnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by ostion View Post
I just received my skidplate, the crash bars are installed already. To me the problem is not the adaptor that connects them together, it is the bracket where you screw the rear of the skid plate on. This bracket screws on the right (foot) side onto the exhaust holder and two screws on the left (foot.) These two screws are behind the plate for the side stand and there is barely any room to take them off, install the bracket and screw them back on.
Has anybody done this before?
I'll try to install my skid plate from Motech this week-end and will keep you posted when I get there. Do you have any pict of your adapter installed? Can u confirm that the plate goes behind the bottom of the crash bar so as to show the round part of the U bolts upfront?
Thanks;-)

05 DL1000 Black
09 Versys
--------
06 Wee red (sold for the Versys)
08 Yamaha FZ1 Black (Sold for the Vee)
05 SV650 Blue (sold for the Wee)
02 Triumph Bonneville Red (sold for the Yami)
00 KLR650 Green (sold for the Bonnie)
99 Honda Shadow 650 (Sold for a Kawi KLR650)
--------
Errare humanum est sed persevare diabolicum

Last edited by ronnie; 02-28-2007 at 07:48 PM.
ronnie is offline  
 
post #4 of 12 Old 03-01-2007, 06:07 PM
$tromtrooper
 
ostion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 122
I have not installed it yet until I figure out the rear part. By the way, I was able to get the screws out (17 mm bent wrench.) Putting the holding bracket and screwing it back on will be another story but I have some back up on the way.
The adjuster plate goes perpendicular to the floor in front of the crash bar, leaving the union between the two crash bars right behind it. The U screws grab the bars and insert into the plate from behind and you secure the nuts in front of the plate. Now you have the two wholes at the bottom of the plate to screw the front top of the skidpate. The fact that those holes are half an inch long will give you some room for adjustment.
English is not my first language, I hope it was clear enough.
I am taking advantage of the "nudity" to change the oil and the filter.
I see you are in LA, maybe when we both finish this "project" can have a coffee at Newcomb's Ranch, on Angeles Crest.

f

DL 1000 K2
Interceptor '02


Long Beach, CA
ostion is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 03-01-2007, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
ronnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by ostion View Post
I have not installed it yet until I figure out the rear part. By the way, I was able to get the screws out (17 mm bent wrench.) Putting the holding bracket and screwing it back on will be another story but I have some back up on the way.
The adjuster plate goes perpendicular to the floor in front of the crash bar, leaving the union between the two crash bars right behind it. The U screws grab the bars and insert into the plate from behind and you secure the nuts in front of the plate. Now you have the two wholes at the bottom of the plate to screw the front top of the skidpate. The fact that those holes are half an inch long will give you some room for adjustment.
English is not my first language, I hope it was clear enough.
I am taking advantage of the "nudity" to change the oil and the filter.
I see you are in LA, maybe when we both finish this "project" can have a coffee at Newcomb's Ranch, on Angeles Crest.

f
As a matter of fact, I was there today! So whenever you want, pm me ([email protected]) or call 626 864 6941

Thanks for the explanation, quite understandable indeed;-) The only thing I find weird is to have the plate in front of the crash bar and then the Us behind and the bolt and nut pointing out...Same thing with the diagram of the skidplate where it shows the bolt head inside the skid and the long bolts and nuts pointing out towards the wheel....it is very ugly and again usually the head of the bolt is what is showing not the end... I'll have to investigate further this coming week-end

05 DL1000 Black
09 Versys
--------
06 Wee red (sold for the Versys)
08 Yamaha FZ1 Black (Sold for the Vee)
05 SV650 Blue (sold for the Wee)
02 Triumph Bonneville Red (sold for the Yami)
00 KLR650 Green (sold for the Bonnie)
99 Honda Shadow 650 (Sold for a Kawi KLR650)
--------
Errare humanum est sed persevare diabolicum
ronnie is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 03-01-2007, 07:09 PM
$tromtrooper
 
ostion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 122
I guess when you lift the skidplate towards the bars, you will see where it fits, if in front or behind the bars. I actually ordered the Motech skidplate but it was on backorder and there was a 3-4 week wait, this is why I got this one.
Mine is blck, it looks the business, really.
Yes to riding to Newcombs. Not this weelend though.
I will keep you posted.

F

DL 1000 K2
Interceptor '02


Long Beach, CA
ostion is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 03-01-2007, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
ronnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by ostion View Post
I guess when you lift the skidplate towards the bars, you will see where it fits, if in front or behind the bars. I actually ordered the Motech skidplate but it was on backorder and there was a 3-4 week wait, this is why I got this one.
Mine is blck, it looks the business, really.
Yes to riding to Newcombs. Not this weelend though.
I will keep you posted.

F
The 2 screws on the left side seem to hold together the frame and the side stand. Can you confirm? If this is the case and as I don't have any bike-lift I will have to bring it in and let suz do it...
Let me know when you plan on going to Newcomb next time;-)

05 DL1000 Black
09 Versys
--------
06 Wee red (sold for the Versys)
08 Yamaha FZ1 Black (Sold for the Vee)
05 SV650 Blue (sold for the Wee)
02 Triumph Bonneville Red (sold for the Yami)
00 KLR650 Green (sold for the Bonnie)
99 Honda Shadow 650 (Sold for a Kawi KLR650)
--------
Errare humanum est sed persevare diabolicum
ronnie is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 03-01-2007, 08:03 PM
$tromtrooper
 
ostion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 122
Yes, if you don't have a stand you should. You will have more space with no center stand but you don't want the wife/girlfriend holding the bike while you curse lying on the cold concrete floor.
;-)

DL 1000 K2
Interceptor '02


Long Beach, CA
ostion is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 03-01-2007, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
ronnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by ostion View Post
Yes, if you don't have a stand you should. You will have more space with no center stand but you don't want the wife/girlfriend holding the bike while you curse lying on the cold concrete floor.
;-)
besides the fact that I wouldn't trust mine to hold the strom straight for more than a few minutes;-)

05 DL1000 Black
09 Versys
--------
06 Wee red (sold for the Versys)
08 Yamaha FZ1 Black (Sold for the Vee)
05 SV650 Blue (sold for the Wee)
02 Triumph Bonneville Red (sold for the Yami)
00 KLR650 Green (sold for the Bonnie)
99 Honda Shadow 650 (Sold for a Kawi KLR650)
--------
Errare humanum est sed persevare diabolicum
ronnie is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 03-03-2007, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
ronnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 147
Done...but not by me

Here are a few picts of the set.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Assembly.jpg (15.5 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg Frontcrashbars.jpg (19.9 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg left.jpg (33.0 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg Right2.jpg (33.2 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg right1.jpg (36.4 KB, 34 views)

05 DL1000 Black
09 Versys
--------
06 Wee red (sold for the Versys)
08 Yamaha FZ1 Black (Sold for the Vee)
05 SV650 Blue (sold for the Wee)
02 Triumph Bonneville Red (sold for the Yami)
00 KLR650 Green (sold for the Bonnie)
99 Honda Shadow 650 (Sold for a Kawi KLR650)
--------
Errare humanum est sed persevare diabolicum

Last edited by ronnie; 03-03-2007 at 08:27 PM.
ronnie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome