With the long holiday weekend I finally got the chance to get out in the garage and do some work on the 'Strom. I've wanted heated grips for some time, so took the opportunity to install a pair of the Symtecs under the stock grips.
I tied the electrical harness into the stock Suzuki plug location. Having been an avionics tech, I don't like plugs, so I wanted to solder connect everything. What a PITA to get to that plug! I swung the radiator out of the way as recommended (DL1000):
You can see the orange and black/wt wire/plug just above the head in the above image. This is the forward cylinder seen from the left side of the bike. Not much to work with and very tight location.
I used an exacto blade to remove some of the electrical tape from the stock harness bundle here. It gave about an extra 2" of wire to work with:
I hard wired this in using the supplied rocker switch. While I was at it (cutting the fairing all to hell with the Rotozip tool) I figured what the heck and installed a 12v outlet:
I should have taken some more pics of the grip heater installation but didn't get out the camera until near the end of that project. The only real bugger was getting to the darn factory harness. The heaters themselves went on fairly easily once the stock grips where removed. On the DL1000, the throttle is plastic with ribbing to keep the grip from shifting. The heater element would not stick to this, so I removed the ribbing with the Exacto blade. Once that was done it stuck fine. I used some automotive rubber cement to reattach the grips to the elements. Running the wires along the handlebars was a no-brainer.
After that warm-up project I started getting a bit creative. I had some thin guage sheet steel left over from another project and decided I really wanted a radar/GPS shelf. I looked on the web and there's several designs, but I wanted something just big enough for the GPS, radar detector, and an Aerostich 5 function digital meter (volts/amps/time/temp/ice). So I started by making a pattern out of some thin cardboard:
After the pattern was close, I laid it out on the steel sheet. You can get these sheets at Home Depot that are just about the right size for this. I had plenty left over.
Then it's ready to be cut:
I have a plasma cutter which made short work of the cutting. With that done, I did some "eyeball" bends and test fit it under the MadStad brackets to see how everything lined up. Not perfect, but not too far off. (Important Shop Safety Note: do not drink multiple Pulaner Hefewiesen's on an empty stomach while laying out your projects - in hindsight this may have worked out better minus the beers).
Note the two outside tabs that connect to the outer fairing bolts are the hardest as they are a compound angle bends.
More trimming. More Beer. What did I do with that damn camera? Bend the tabs a bit more. Test fit again. rebend tabs. Trim a bit more. Find some rubber gasket material to fit under the mount so you don't scratch the fairing. Bend the front edge in the vice (poor man's bending brake). Hit with rattle can of primer paint. Another beer and another coat of primer. Damn those Hefewiesen's. ;^) Hit with flat black rustoleum. Go to bed.
Next morning hit with another coat of flat black. Hit with coat of flat clearcoat. Let dry. Note to self, Cokes today instead of Beer (ugh, my head). Install. Reinstall fairing. Take picture. Post:
I may try to cut another and clean it up a bit. Pretty cheap project since it only uses about $5 worth of materials. I'd definitely try to use a box & pan brake to make the bend along the front edge as it is the most visible and I screwed mine up a bit by trying to do it in the vise. Anyway, time spent in the ManCave working on the 'Strom is never time wasted. ;^)