Modified OEM bar ends/handguards for Aluminum Bars
Ever since I got my Magura EX aluminum handlebars I haven't been able to use my oem handguards and bar end weights because the aluminum bars have a much smaller inside diameter and the whole bar end contraption would no longer fit. So today I finally modified it and it was really easy. All you need is a Dremel with a grinding stone and 4 washers. The first thing you need to grind down is the collar around the compression nut on the very end. I probably left about 1/16 of an inch around the nut. Just put the bar end in a vice (grip the long rubber bushing with the vice, not too hard) and grind away at the collar spinning the nut little by little making your way all the way around. Stop periodically to check the fit in the bars. This should only take about 5 minutes. Once the nut fits into the bars you'll notice you now have to shave down the two rubber bushings. I used the same grinding stone and just ground away at the rubber until i got the bushings thin enough to fit in the bar, checking periodically for fit. You don't want to take away more than you have to. On the long bushing, make sure you leave the thicker collar near the bar end weight alone. You don't want to shave this part since it stays on the outside of the bars. And finally, there is a really thick washer in the middle that is too big. I just replaced it with a couple washers that had a smaller diameter. That's it. Each bar end should only take about 20-30 minutes to modify.
I hope this helps someone. I'm stoked! 8)
2006 DL650 Silver Blue
2004 Triumph Thruxton