Continuing in the tradition of a fully functional farkled out frugal strom. I present the latest creation from the lab of Dr. Frankenstrom. My removable, expendable, frugal pannier system.
Before you scoff at the pics, how many of you have a full luggage system that costs less than $70 total, and can be repaired for about $14 a side if damaged?
I used a set of ammo boxes from a army surplus store. Some 1/8" thick by 1" flat steel, some 3/4" alum angle (back lower cross brace), 4 12mm bolts, 8 12mm flat washers, 4 12mm split washers, 4 12mm wing nuts, 2 10mm bolts, 2 10mm nuts, 4 10mm flat washers, 2 10mm split washers, 2 10mm wing nuts, 2 8mm bolts, 4 8mm flat washers, 2 8mm split washers, 2 8mm wing nuts, silicone, and some spray on truck bedliner.
First of all I laid out a flat stock across the rear rack mount. I measured the drop I wanted and bent those shapes. I used the from rack mounts for the front. That required trimming the lower portion of the Strom rack due to the angle, but it's unnoticeable once installed. I cut out two sections, drilled the holes for the frame mounts, then installed them on the bike. I used a large crescent wrench to work as a metal brake. I used the passenger rearsets as another attachment point. Basically Just drilled holes in bar stock cut to length and tweaked as needed.
Here's a view of the bike without any luggage on it.
I used the 12mm hardware on the two upper mounting tabs. Basically I ran a bolt through the ammo box with washers on both sides, and a nut on the outside. Slip them into the hole and throw a lock washer and wingnut on the outside. I wanted something I could take on and off without tools.
While installing the hardware, to prevent water entry, I used copious amounts of silicone on the bolts.
I used the 10mm hardware at the front lower section of the ammo boxes in the same fashion as the 12mm's. I used the 8mm's as well in the rear. Along with the alum angle stock. I used alum to save weight since the rear isn't handling the load, just stopping any swaying motions. I had to trim up my rear fender a tad to make it clear. Nothing a grinder couldn't handle.
Here's a view of one of the cases with my toolbag, first aid kit, and cable and lock. Still have plenty more room left.
Here's the completed shots
Other useful things I've found are that the cases make great stools for working on the bike.
I'm also going to fab up a system for a top case as well. I'm looking for some sort of black alum toolchest or something along those lines. I'll also build a quick release system for it as well.