So, after pricing backrests for the Wee [wife is an occasional passenger, not interested in long trips, an hour or so is her limit, but she mentioned that if she had a backrest, it may happen more often. ]
I decided there had to be a lower priced option [like under $50 ]
So I stopped at a local motorcycle salvage yard and found this
Price- $34, still had a geniune Yamaha sticker on it so I assume it is unused/ new.
seemed to be about the "right" scale I was looking for, just needed to fab up a mount
[I have absolutely no idea what bike it was for or a model #]
I made up a plywood base with some 2x2's with holes drilled and a C-clamp as sort of a mock up to see if the position would work, wife said
I then asked my friend Jeff if he would help [he has mad fabrication skills and a mig welder and torches]
[sorry, I threw out the plywood mock up without getting pics
here is the metal version, I used a 2" flat stock with some pipe welded on [had to split the pipe and pry it open to get it to slide over the chrome tubes]
1 1/2 fllat stock under the rack with nuts welded on and holes tapped
the bottom piece is angled on the ends so it won't slide around and fits under the factory rack sort of inside the lips that hang down.
I drilled and tapped the pipe on both sides so I could put an allen head set screw to adjust the position.
not super fancy , but better than plywood and c-clamps, and easily removed for the 99% of the time I don't want it on there.
I just painted it black cause I had some around, and I put some of that tape/foam[ that you use for pickup toppers so you don't scratch the bed rails ] between the parts so it doesn''t scratch the rack all to hell.
It doesn't reach forward enough to use as a driver backrest, but that was not my goal and after 43,000 miles I don't need one anyway.
total cost- less than $35 [I had the small bits lying around and Jeff gave me the steel , thanks Jeff