But I haven't seen one done quite like this, so hey, let's have a new thread!
I had one of the Agri Supply tubes zip-tied to the Givi rack and it was better than nothing, but tiny and the lid was really tricky to get threaded on. When I saw one of the zip ties had broken, I decided to get off my a$$ and make the storage tube I wanted.
I wanted the tube to mount to the bike, not the rack, and I wanted it to look as factory as possible given my limited metalworking tools (and the fact that it's a piece of pvc pipe). After a lot of staring at the side of my bike, I built a bracket that not only looked anything BUT factory, it also wasn't rigid enough. Soon though, that failure became a success, as it showed the way to the wondrous feat of engineering you are about to witness.
Click the images for larger versions, if you dare. More photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/idearrh...7623366237114/
The front bracket is 3/4" x 1/8" aluminum angle stock.
It attaches to the passenger peg mounts and parallels the subframe up to the side panel.
The tube end bracket is 1" x 1/8" aluminum flat bar, and bolts to the front bracket below the side panel. The screws are JB-welded to the front bracket so the tube can be removed easily if desired -- just twist off these two nuts and the rear fender screw. All the fasteners are stainless.
At the rear, another bracket mounts to the fender screw. I had to use two washers under the bracket to get it up out of the recess in the plastic. The cap is a "test plug" with a rubber gasket that expands to seal the tube as you tighten the wing nut (visible in the last photo).
The view inside. More aluminum stock inside the end cap to reinforce it. You can see I used the thin walled pvc drainage line, not the heavier schedule 40 stuff.
Behold, the GM201mk.II A
4" diameter x 16" length = 201 cu. in.