The side stand - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
V-Strom Modifications and Performance The brag page, good and bad.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 11-30-2009, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Junior Trooper
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1
Thumbs up The side stand

The side stand on V-Stroms seems to (justifiably?) get some serious negative feed back. I found it scarey, because it does not swing far enough forward to give me a stable platform. So at risk of suggesting the obvious, I will tell you that I solved the problem, and made the parked bike much more stable by taking off the stand (an extremely easy job) and grinding it down a bit to allow it to swing further forward. Given that it is now in a more forward position, two good things go on: 1.) if bike is pushed forward when parked, (or you getting off it!), stand does not rotate backwards so readily, and thus allow bike to fall, and 2.) Bike is now leaning over more when parked, so again, is less readily tipped over the other way [REALLY nice change for parking on highly crowned roads.] I hope this helps some people be happier with this great machine.
randytherider is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 5 Old 11-30-2009, 06:03 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
mikefryman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: central KY
Posts: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by randytherider View Post
The side stand on V-Stroms seems to (justifiably?) get some serious negative feed back. I found it scarey, because it does not swing far enough forward to give me a stable platform. So at risk of suggesting the obvious, I will tell you that I solved the problem, and made the parked bike much more stable by taking off the stand (an extremely easy job) and grinding it down a bit to allow it to swing further forward. Given that it is now in a more forward position, two good things go on: 1.) if bike is pushed forward when parked, (or you getting off it!), stand does not rotate backwards so readily, and thus allow bike to fall, and 2.) Bike is now leaning over more when parked, so again, is less readily tipped over the other way [REALLY nice change for parking on highly crowned roads.] I hope this helps some people be happier with this great machine.
I ground about a 1/4 off the stop. That let it go forward a little farther.
You like what you have done and it works. Good Job.
Mike
mikefryman is offline  
post #3 of 5 Old 12-01-2009, 02:38 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
dtalk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The Northwet, U.S.
Posts: 2,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by randytherider View Post
if bike is pushed forward when parked, (or you getting off it!), stand does not rotate backwards so readily,
This part is easily solved by just leaving it in 1st gear. In that condition, it's not going to roll enough to release the stand.

Having it lean a bit farther left might be nice, but your experience in that regard will depend on your suspension settings and the bike's loading, too. The stock suspension sags too much for my taste even on its stiffest setting.
dtalk is offline  
 
post #4 of 5 Old 12-23-2009, 10:06 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
SonnyAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Arizona
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtalk View Post
Having it lean a bit farther left might be nice, but your experience in that regard will depend on your suspension settings and the bike's loading, too. The stock suspension sags too much for my taste even on its stiffest setting.
Put a set of raising links on it.
I put the 1" raising links on mine and had to add 1" to the Sidestand

[I][SIZE=3][FONT=Palatino Linotype][B]DesertStrommer
[COLOR=Black][SIZE=4][COLOR="Yellow"][COLOR="Black"]'08 DL650[/COLOR][/COLOR] (For Sale)[/SIZE][/COLOR]
[/B][/FONT][/SIZE][/I]
SonnyAZ is offline  
post #5 of 5 Old 12-23-2009, 11:04 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
dtalk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The Northwet, U.S.
Posts: 2,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyAZ View Post
Put a set of raising links on it.
I put the 1" raising links on mine and had to add 1" to the Sidestand
Yeah, that would do it ...
dtalk is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Tags
side , sidestand , stable , stand

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome