Yesterday, I spent a little time puttering around on my bike, getting it ready for my Jame Bay Road
trip coming up next week. I wanted to experiment in making my own Laminar Lip for my windshield.
Previously, I had brought home a piece of 1/8" Lexan from the shop where I work with the idea of modifying my windshield. Yesterday, I pressed it into use.
I ripped and cut the 1/8" Lexan to a dimension of 6" wide x 16" long.
(I am using a Shopsmith Mark 5 that I purchased 27 years ago. It's been a great tool for the kind of home projects I do.).
Next, using a c-clamp and a couple of blocks of wood, I clamped the Lexan to my windshield at a location that looked about right.
(I did this whole thing by sight and feel. Very little measuring.)
Using my heat-gun, I softened up the Lexan sheet so that I could bend it around my windshield to reduce the stress, compared to just forcing the plastic into place with fasteners. ( There is a blue, protective covering on the Lexan to keep it from being scratched while I work with it. It will be peeled off at the end of the project.)
On the rear side of the the Lexan, I traced the top edge of the windshield using a magic marker.
The windshield line gave me a reference for me to "eyeball" as I laid out the actual shape of my Lexan extension.
I cut the shape out on my Shopsmith bandsaw.
I faired the outside line using the Shopsmith disc sander.
I faired up the inside line using my Shopsmith flipped up to a drill press and a barrel sander.
I then clamped the Lexan to my windshield to have a "look see".
Next, it was time to "drill" the holes I needed through the Lexan and through the OEM windshield. My experience with drilling through plastics is, if you don't have the specially ground drill bit, or haven't ground your own, thin plastics like the one I am working with WILL
crack. I chose to drill with a hot metal rod; melting the plastics.
I clamped a short piece of metal rod into a pair of vise-grips and heated the tip of it to "red hot" with a torch.
I then "drilled" through both the Lexan and the windshield.
It took a couple of "drillings" to get the holes to the size I needed.
After drilling the holes, I removed the Lexan extension and deburred all sides of each hole with my utility knife.
I then did some final fairing of my homemade Laminar Lip with some sandpaper.
I fastened the extension to my windshield using stainless steel fasteners I purchased at my local Lowe's store.
The fastening sequence was this: (from back of the windshield to the front).
10:24 Nylock nut > 1" fender washer > OEM windshield > 1" fender washer > 1/4" tall nylon bushing > 1" fender washer > Lexan extension > 1" fender washer > 10:24 x 1 1/2" pan head machine screw.
I would have preferred 3/4" fender washers, but Lowe's didn't have any.
The 1 1/2" machine screws ended up getting cut down to a length of about 1 3/16".
The extension makes a positive difference to the wind pattern around my helmet and when I hold my camera for shooting videos while riding.