I really like this modification that Guardian has posted HERE
. I like the ingenuity of it and also the cost savings. Around here, a replacement filter for my bike is around $55. The most important thing I like about this modification is, it makes my bike easier to service.
A lot of the riding I do takes me to remote places; or to places that don't have a local motorcycle dealership nearby. This is the number one reason I WILL NOT purchase a BMW motorcycle. BMW dealerships are sparsely located and it is very expensive to buy and ship parts. I have a much greater chance of finding a Suzuki dealership, then a BMW dealership where I ride.
A couple of weeks ago when I dumped my bike in the "Moncton Mud Puddle", I didn't have a clue of what I was going to be up against financially in repair costs. But, back in the woods, literally "up the creek without a paddle", I was feeling relieved that, "It could be worse. I only own a Suzuki and not a BMW." I felt fairly confident that, once I got out of the woods, and got some help, I could make the repairs myself. About $75 and 6 hrs of work, I was riding home, and grinning ear to ear that my bike and me survived another adventure together. (There will be an upcoming video on this experience.).
I did not get any water into the bike's air box. It was clean and bone dry. But, what if I did? (I would have been in even deeper "doo-doo"). At the very least, I was going to need a new air filter. At a Canadian dealership, my guess is that would be around $65. That's IF I could find a dealership! But, I can find an auto parts store, or a Canadian Tire, or similar store, like a Wal-Mart. If I need to, I can now fit a new air filter to my bike from nearly every geographical location I currently ride in.
I spent quite a bit of time at my local Wal-Mart yesterday going through all of the Fram air filters they carry. The CA3916 is the standard paper Fram filter that fits nearly perfectly over the OEM filter hole. I decided to purchase the Tough Guard version. It is a pre-oiled filter designed for SUVs and pickup trucks where their working environment is dustier then normal, street use. That part number is: TGA3916 and again, is just slightly larger then the OEM filter hole.
I saved my old air filter from my last change 30,000 miles ago......... I have modified it using Guardian's post as a guideline to the process. I made a couple of changes.
The pictures below walk through how I did my modification.
I used a utility knife to cut the old OEM filter media out of the filter throat.
I removed the old media.
I tried using my utility knife to cut the "throat" off of the filter flange. The plastic is too hard. It's the kind of cutting that leads itself to slicing a thumb or finger.....
I switched over to my Dremel tool; using a "fibre-reinforced" cut-off wheel.
Once the throat was removed, I sharpened up a paint scraper with a file and "cut" what remained of the throat down to the flange; making everything flat and smooth and removing any plastic burrs.
Here is the OEM filter with the throat removed and the scraped flange. I decided to leave the OEM screen in place.
I spent quite a bit of time ruminating on what adhesive to use to bond the new filter to the OEM filter flange. I work in the marine industry and I have access to some "bomb proof" stuff, but I decided to again, "keep it simple"; thinking about future maintenance and subsequent changes.
I chose the below product. It is a very thick, very tough contact cement. I purchased it at my local Lowe's.
I squeezed a nice bead of the cement around the base of the Fram filter and also around the filter flange. I let these two surfaces dry about 10 mins as per the adhesive's instructions.
After the alloted drying time had passed, I "mated" the two parts together and placed a firebrick on top. I let the "new" filter sit overnight.
When I got home from work today, I examined the glue bond. I gave the filter a really good tug to try and tear it apart. It wouldn't budge. But, I decided, as a precaution to put another bead of the cement around the edge of the filter creating a "filet".
I have not installed this filter yet. I plan to do that on Wednesday evening, (heading back to Vermont - Lake Champlain on Friday for the weekend.). I don't think I will have any fitment issues. I will report them if I do and also any performance issues as well.
The cost was under $15.
Thanks Guardian, this was a great solution for me!