Join Date: May 2005
Location: Wilmington, DE, USA
Centerstand spring installation without pain!!!
I wrote this message in another V-Strom Forum. I saw some comments in this forum about centerstand spring installs so I am copying the message here:
I installed the Suzuki OEM centerstand springs twice this evening. The first time I installed the springs upside down and they rubbed on the centerstand when it was going down. So I had to take the springs off, turn them around, and start over. It was easy.
What's the trick? A long nylon boot lace!
1. Roll the bike until a spoke on the rear wheel is vertical and down.
2. Brace the centerstand in the 'up' position (I used a couple of to be recycled tin cans).
3. Use a bowline knot to tie one end of the bootlace through the hole in the spoke
4. Attach the springs to the frame side stud.
5. Loop the lace through the U at the end of the small spring.
6. Brace your foot against the front tire and pull on the lace toward the back of the bike.
7. The U on the end of the spring will act as a pulley giving you a mechanical advantage of two. And it will guide the spring end into the slot!
8. Do the same thing with the large spring. I used leather gloves to pull the lace for the big spring.
Didn't marr the spring, wheel, pipes, or centerstand. The big spring took a good pull, but I'm not exactly superman either :wink:
Hope this helps someone...