Lowering Links--Review and Pics - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
V-Strom Modifications and Performance The brag page, good and bad.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 01-10-2006, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper
 
Reverendbiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 330
Lowering Links--Review and Pics

I've just finished installing a set of Kevin Baker lowering links on my DL650 and am really happy with the results. I have written a review of the product and have included pics of the installation. See it here:
http://www.reverendbiker.com/vstrom/...bakerlinks.htm

jack <><
'07 DL650, "which may just be the most shockingly competent machine in the world today"--Cycle World
www.reverendbiker.com
Reverendbiker is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 Old 01-10-2006, 08:09 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Warren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Alpine, California
Posts: 236
Nice write-up Jack.

I'd be curious for your future comments on lean-angle loss...

I already scrape the outsides of my boots, and would hate to give up much...

[B]-- Warren in San Diego --
-- 2013 KLR 650 --[/B]

-- [URL="http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=47348"][COLOR=blue]Click Here For My Free KLR Valve Adjustment Shim Calculator[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=blue] [/COLOR] --

-- [URL="http://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php/topic,10863.0.html"][COLOR=blue]Click Here For My Free V-Strom Valve Adjustment Shim Calculator[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=blue] [/COLOR] --
Warren is offline  
post #3 of 6 Old 01-10-2006, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper
 
Reverendbiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
Nice write-up Jack.

I'd be curious for your future comments on lean-angle loss...

I already scrape the outsides of my boots, and would hate to give up much...
Warren, my canyon-carving days are about done so I'm not worried about the lean angle; I'm in no danger. I chose these links over the Kouba links because they just dropped the rear 3/4" instead of 1-1/8". I'm sure that lowering the bike would have to cut down your lean angle, and if you're already on the edge of your boots you'd probably not want to try it.

jack <><
'07 DL650, "which may just be the most shockingly competent machine in the world today"--Cycle World
www.reverendbiker.com
Reverendbiker is offline  
 
post #4 of 6 Old 01-11-2006, 07:28 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: SW Washington State
Posts: 178
You realize that changing the links length to drop the bike also changes the leverage and geometery to the rear suspension but many may not so the following is for those.

Installing lowering links is in effect changing the spring rate to a softer one which will change both the preload (sag both laden and unladen), performance and handling. I have no experience on the stock strom shock with these links but could make an educated guess based on many other bikes that if you (or whoever) rode previously with little to no preload prior to the install it will now have to be maxed or about maxed out to get back to the same sag. If one rides at with more preload than the minimum (and how many of you folks weigh more than about 160-180?) then a stiffer spring rate would be appropriate for use with the lowering links.

"Travel has no longer any charm for me. I have seen all the foreign countries I want to except heaven & hell & I have only a vague curiosity about one of those."
Twain
BradM is offline  
post #5 of 6 Old 01-11-2006, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper
 
Reverendbiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradM
You realize that changing the links length to drop the bike also changes the leverage and geometery to the rear suspension but many may not so the following is for those.

Installing lowering links is in effect changing the spring rate to a softer one which will change both the preload (sag both laden and unladen), performance and handling. I have no experience on the stock strom shock with these links but could make an educated guess based on many other bikes that if you (or whoever) rode previously with little to no preload prior to the install it will now have to be maxed or about maxed out to get back to the same sag. If one rides at with more preload than the minimum (and how many of you folks weigh more than about 160-180?) then a stiffer spring rate would be appropriate for use with the lowering links.
Great point, particularly with links such as the Kouba links that lower the rear more than an inch. Super-heavy riders or those who ride 2-up may have to make changes to the rear shock and/or front springs.

jack <><
'07 DL650, "which may just be the most shockingly competent machine in the world today"--Cycle World
www.reverendbiker.com
Reverendbiker is offline  
post #6 of 6 Old 01-12-2006, 04:03 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Modesto, California
Posts: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverendbiker
Great point, particularly with links such as the Kouba links that lower the rear more than an inch. Super-heavy riders or those who ride 2-up may have to make changes to the rear shock and/or front springs.
I used these for awhile and did "bottom-out" riding 2-up. Changing the preload on the rear spring did help, but in the end I went back to the original factory dog bones and just put a lotta gear on my bike when I travel - it lowers it significantly.....

04 Blue DL650 with some add-ons
and scratches...
p7m8jg is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome