Disclaimer: my knowledge of painting is basically limited to watching a bunch of youtubes.
Little more progress. It's been either way too hot & humid or way too cold to paint. Today the forecast looked perfect, so I took the day off work to paint.
Prior to painting, there were a few steps. First up, wait until wife is away on business trip and use the tub as a parts washer!
After a good clean, a heat gun was used to soften the decals. The were peeled off and all parts were wet sanded with 400 grit. There were a few shallow scratches that I chose to sand out rather than to fill & sand. The "S" Suzuki logo on one side of the fairing has embedded itself into the plastic, possibly due to leaving the heat gun on it too long? Everything gets sanded until water doesn't bead up.
Previous owner had tried to install a fender extender without pre-drilling. The fender was shattered and held together with duct tape. I've tried putting humpty dumpty together with some resin and bondo. It will need a lot more work before painting.
Cue the theme from Dexter...I used stove pipe wire to hang the plastic from the garage at around eye-level. Parts can be rotated pretty easily for all 'round coverage and should be far enough apart that I don't walk backwards into a freshly painted one. Gas tank is raised up and has enough space to walk around.
2 coats of high build white primer (took both cans). Unfortunately one of the cans was spattering and will mean more sanding than I had planned. This is where I'm at now, it will dry for an hour and then I'll wet sand it with 400. Hopefully enough time left to put on the paint.
Just noticed one of the screws I attached my side case to the SW rack is too long and has scraped the heat shield. I'll sand and re-spray that with a rattle can.