Powerlet options - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
V-Strom Modifications and Performance The brag page, good and bad.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 08-06-2008, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 69
Powerlet options

I've done some research and I haven't quite gotten all the knowledge I'd like on the subject of Auxillary power on a motorcycle. Can someone explain to me the different options available for Aux power plugs on a 'Strom? I've looked at Powerlets website and am a little confused by all the different connectors available. I am planning on installing a fuse block for permanent connections as well, but I want to make sure I order the right power plugs. Here are the things that I will probably need power for:

Radar detector
Cell phone
GPS
Air compressor
Heated vest

http://www.powerlet.net/products/plugs_sockets.php

I was thinking I'd get (1) cigar type power outlet (STANDARD CIGARETTE SOCKET - ASO-002) for use with the air compressor. And (1) STANDARD POWERLET SOCKET WITH LEAD - PSO-007 to bring power into my tank bag for the cell phone. And install them on one of Rick's shelfs like in this thread.

Am I going in the right direction? I'd appreciate advice from anyone who has accesorized their 'Strom electrically. Thanks,
mattyg is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 08-06-2008, 10:35 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
pinkman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Miles to go before I sleep, FL
Posts: 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyg View Post
I've done some research and I haven't quite gotten all the knowledge I'd like on the subject of Auxillary power on a motorcycle. Can someone explain to me the different options available for Aux power plugs on a 'Strom? I've looked at Powerlets website and am a little confused by all the different connectors available. I am planning on installing a fuse block for permanent connections as well, but I want to make sure I order the right power plugs. Here are the things that I will probably need power for:

Radar detector
Cell phone
GPS
Air compressor
Heated vest

http://www.powerlet.net/products/plugs_sockets.php

I was thinking I'd get (1) cigar type power outlet (STANDARD CIGARETTE SOCKET - ASO-002) for use with the air compressor. And (1) STANDARD POWERLET SOCKET WITH LEAD - PSO-007 to bring power into my tank bag for the cell phone. And install them on one of Rick's shelfs like in this thread.

Am I going in the right direction? I'd appreciate advice from anyone who has accesorized their 'Strom electrically. Thanks,
Howdy. It sounds promising. The advantage of the "BMW" plugs is that they plug into the socket more securely. With your GPS and heated vest you can replace the plug with one of the BMW plugs. The Deluxe Plugs are better because they have a wire clamp built in: http://www.powerletproducts.com/prod...gs_sockets.php

Many other items like your cell phone, iPod, etc have circuitry in the plug end and can't be easily replaced. Depending on the air compressor you buy, it might come with a BMW Plug. The ones you buy from the automotive store won't. In that case you either want to use the automotive plug like you mentioned or get an adapter:
http://www.powerletproducts.com/products/cables.php

Greg "Pinkman" Pink
Leesburg, FL
K4, Flat Black Club #135
pinkman is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 08-06-2008, 11:05 AM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
 
greywolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Evanston IL USA
Posts: 38,049
Garage
Many GPS units also have a 12V-5V adapter in the plug. http://www.easternbeaver.com/ is a great source for electrical stuff.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
greywolf is offline  
 
post #4 of 8 Old 08-06-2008, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkman View Post
Howdy. It sounds promising. The advantage of the "BMW" plugs is that they plug into the socket more securely. With your GPS and heated vest you can replace the plug with one of the BMW plugs. The Deluxe Plugs are better because they have a wire clamp built in: http://www.powerletproducts.com/prod...gs_sockets.php
I don't see BMW plugs listed on that page. Are they called something else?
mattyg is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 08-06-2008, 11:52 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
pinkman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Miles to go before I sleep, FL
Posts: 603
Pretty much any of the top 4 listed on that page are "BMW" type plugs. The cool part is that you can also get them from your John Deere dealer.

Greg "Pinkman" Pink
Leesburg, FL
K4, Flat Black Club #135
pinkman is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 08-06-2008, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 69
I guess my main question is how do you know what accessories can be powered by a BMW plug?
mattyg is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 08-06-2008, 04:58 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 259
Thumbs up Powerlett plugs

I am a powerlett dealer and have lots of other stuff for 12 volt motorcycle accessories. You do not want to go to a cig lighter on your bike, they are too suceptable to water and vibration. If you are planning on powering lots of accessories call me and we can talk about different options. Where you are putting all the accessories has a lot to do with where you put the bmw style plugs, and how you turn them off and on. I do sell this stuff but if you are a do it your selfer I can at least help you make some informed choices. Kieth 918-446-2245
Kieth is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 08-06-2008, 08:30 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
pinkman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Miles to go before I sleep, FL
Posts: 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyg View Post
I guess my main question is how do you know what accessories can be powered by a BMW plug?
Any standard automotive cigarette socket can be replaced by a BMW plug. Of course you must then use a BMW type socket.

If you see a larger automotive plug on one of your devices such as an iPod, cell phone, etc... it probably has circuitry inside and can't be replaced easily. If you want to make sure you could always unscrew the cover on your plug and look inside.

Greg "Pinkman" Pink
Leesburg, FL
K4, Flat Black Club #135
pinkman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome