Alright, here we go:
About 5 -10 minutes in the oven at 200 ˚F makes the glue holding the taillight together pretty easy work. Tip: Push out from the inside through one of the bulb holes with something. I couldn't pull it apart easily.
Here's my busted tail light next to my ... busted taillight. Pretty close in width.
The backing is still on the R1 light here. I removed the front lens plastic carefully with a hammer. Doesn't quite fit into the Vstrom housing.
Backing removed. Fits pretty well width wise, I like it.
Needed something to hold it in place to glue to the back. I had these machine screws sitting around. They're around an inch, I didn't measure. I heat them with a lighter and screwed them into the plastic holes so they would thread.
So now for the backside:
I had a spare brake/turn/tail wiring harness from my last junkyard adventure when I had my old Vee. The best thing to seal up the back is, well, the bulb socket fittings that are supposed to go there. One of them, I just cut the wires, disconnected the bulb, and screwed it in to call it a day.
Still needed a way to feed the R1 wires out, so I took the other one, cut the wires and took a drill to the plastic spring loaded connector at the bottom with the rubber seal on the back. The drill shredded the moving pieces apart, which is what I wanted, to leave me with this ...
... which happens to fit the rubber sealing grommet of the R1 wiring pretty well.
I used liquid nails silicone adhesive to glob glue all over the place to fix it. Shoved a piece of foam on the bottom to keep gravity from doing what it does to my crappy glue job. I may have to redo it at some point. It's currently drying, so we'll see how it looks after I get the light mounted to my bike for some comparison pictures of before and after.
Just testing it in my basement, the tail light may appear a little on the dim side, but the brake light hurts to look at.
I like repurposing OEM bike parts. In my opinion, the quality is there that isn't in the cheap replacements (that is, the parts that I don't lay my hands on, haha). The expensive replacements are probably great!