Wireless Motorcycle Tire Pressure Monitor - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
V-Strom Modifications and Performance The brag page, good and bad.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 05-06-2008, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
MrSpock's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 137
Question Wireless Motorcycle Tire Pressure Monitor

I'm on the market for a Tire Pressure Monitor System. Does anybody have any experience with Doran 360M?
http://www.doranmfg.com/motorcycle-t...ng-systems.htm

Sensor (weight 0.7 oz and could be mounted outside or inside the rim):


Monitor:


Any other recommendations?
MrSpock is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 Old 05-06-2008, 09:48 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
VtSTROM-K5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Vermont
Posts: 1,944
Send a message via Yahoo to VtSTROM-K5
Just one recomendation. Check tires with every fill up and save the money for gas & Grin's........or what ever .:-D

2014 V2 DL 1000 25 miles and Onward
IF I only Rode in Good weather..
I WOULDN'T get to Ride in Vermont.at ALL!
we have 2 types of roads in Vermont, Unpaved roads and decaying back to .............Unpaved roads..

2005 DL1000 98,547 miles and continuing in the hands of it's new owner
VtSTROM-K5 is offline  
post #3 of 21 Old 05-06-2008, 10:38 PM
$tromtrooper
 
K1W1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 15,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSTROM-K5 View Post
Just one recomendation. Check tires with every fill up and save the money for gas & Grin's........or what ever .:-D
+1
If you want to ride off road at all with lower tyre pressures it will become a pain in the a.
IMO they are really only good for lazy people or on the case of a slow leak which by definition shouldn't really be much of an issue because you should notice the slow deterioration in handling.
K1W1 is offline  
 
post #4 of 21 Old 05-06-2008, 11:25 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
RhythmScout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 118
I would get it...if it were about $200 less. I think it's a great idea, but that's just too much $$ for something that you can easily do yourself. I do love gadgets and would get that if it were more reasonable. IMO, every little thing you can do for safety is good. (or is that just justification for a new gadget?)

[I][COLOR="Navy"][B]2007 DL650[/B]
[SIZE="1"]Givi Engine Guards, LED Brake & Turn Signals, Madstad Bracket, Knight Riderz & HyperLights Auxiliary Brake Lights, Murphs Brace, Eastern Beaver H4 Dual Headlight Relay Kit, PIAA H4 Xtreme White Headlights, Dual Whelen LIN3 Running Lights on Adventure MotoStuff Aux Lightbar, Adventure MotoStuff Grip Covers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/I]
RhythmScout is offline  
post #5 of 21 Old 05-07-2008, 01:15 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
MrSpock's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by K1W1 View Post
+1
If you want to ride off road at all with lower tyre pressures it will become a pain in the a.
IMO they are really only good for lazy people or on the case of a slow leak which by definition shouldn't really be much of an issue because you should notice the slow deterioration in handling.
Well, not always. Example: On monday I made a 500 miles highway stratch 2-up and loaded, coming back from 4 days trip to Death Valley. I was going around 90 mph in very gusty wind for last 250 miles on the interstate, where is no turns whatsoever. You won't feel a difference in handling untill it's too late. And yes, I'm lazy :rolleyes:
MrSpock is offline  
post #6 of 21 Old 05-07-2008, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
MrSpock's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainier_Tom View Post
A tank slapper is in your future:rolleyes1:
I hope not. But you mister are an a$$hole for posting such a comment.
MrSpock is offline  
post #7 of 21 Old 05-07-2008, 06:06 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!
 
Gravehunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Clarinda, Iowa
Posts: 935
The one area where checkign your tires(or not being lazy as some call it) won't help you is when you get a flat while riding in the rear. Centrifugal force keeps the tire from flattening out on the rim and is hard to notice if your just going in a straight line like on the interstate or somthing. It will show its head though when you slow down for a stop etc... and then its a suprise. Thats what happened on my last flat.

Never hurts to be able to give a quick look to see what the pressures are. Especially if you ride some dirt and gravel roads where your chances of a flat goes way up.

-
-
-
"I used to do drugs......... I still do...... But i used to too" .................... Mitch Hedberg... RIP
Gravehunter is offline  
post #8 of 21 Old 05-07-2008, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
MrSpock's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravehunter View Post
The one area where checkign your tires(or not being lazy as some call it) won't help you is when you get a flat while riding in the rear. Centrifugal force keeps the tire from flattening out on the rim and is hard to notice if your just going in a straight line like on the interstate or somthing. It will show its head though when you slow down for a stop etc... and then its a suprise. Thats what happened on my last flat.

Never hurts to be able to give a quick look to see what the pressures are. Especially if you ride some dirt and gravel roads where your chances of a flat goes way up.
Yep. That is exactly why I want to get a TPMS. I'm trying to avoid straight interstates, but sometime they are necessary evil. And these roads have all kind of crap laying around. Nails, screws, pieces of wire. etc. I usualy check tires on almost every stop, but it's just a "manual" touch-kick check. How many people actually get the gauge and check the pressure on every stop?

As for the TPMS, I think I'm gonna get SmartTire when it's time for the tire change: http://www.smartire.com/motorcycles

MrSpock is offline  
post #9 of 21 Old 05-07-2008, 07:37 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Quebecois's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Québec, Canada
Posts: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSpock View Post
Hmmm... Vulcan Tire... MrSpock... Are you buying for the brand name?!??:rolleyes:

Edit: Sorry, I've just let out my geeky me.. :lol:

Quebecois
Blue DL650 K5
Quebecois is offline  
post #10 of 21 Old 05-07-2008, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
MrSpock's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebecois View Post
Hmmm... Vulcan Tire... MrSpock... Are you buying for the brand name?!??:rolleyes:

Edit: Sorry, I've just let out my geeky me.. :lol:
LOL!!! :-D
MrSpock is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome