OEM Bag install
Yesterday I did the install of the OEM cases on my dl1000k4. Here are some tips for those of you trying to save a few bucks by doing it your self:
1. The instructions stink! So, set some time aside for the install.
2. Use the rubber cover from the original luggage rack: The finish on my silver OEM rack was terrible under the rubber protector. So I drilled out the two rear holes through the rubber, and mounted the top rack over the rubber sheet. Then, I use a glue gun to glue the rubber down where it wrinkled up.
3. Expect to use a little force to put things together: The mounting hardware bows out a little. And extra hand helped to force things together.
4. I think I figured out (I think correctly) that you lose the original license mount: The plate mounts directly through the new plate/luggage bracket. You must line things up, and drill through the plastic. Add screws and washers, because there are not any that fit from the baggies.
5. I have no Idea what the 10 mm/10mm-long hex head screws are for: They were not listed in the parts list.
Feel free to e-mail me any questions. I am no expert mechanic, but I think my install turned out great. Good luck! Doug.
blue 2004 1000