Yosh Box: How's it done?? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
V-Strom Modifications and Performance The brag page, good and bad.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 07-07-2007, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 13
Yosh Box: How's it done??

So I went to the suzuki dealership in Boulder today after a nice mountain ride to see about getting my FI system remapped with the yosh box. I figured it would take about 5mins because that's what I have read on here. I figure, give them the bike, empty my bladder and get out. The guy at the maintenance counter tells me it takes a couple of days because they have to hook it up to some dyno jet thing-a-ma-jig and I'm like "I thought you just hook it up, re-map the system and I'm out." He's like "oh no, I'm going to need your bike for at least three days." So I got the hell on outta there. So is this guy full of *&#[email protected] and wants to empty my pockets (or maybe he just doensn't know ^&%$) or am I wrong?? From what I have read it is a simple enough procedure. Thanks for any insight (and if anyone knows a place in the denver area to get it done that would be helpful too!)
kujo411 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 Old 07-08-2007, 12:03 AM
Super Moderator
 
Big B's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Central OHIO "Go Buckeyes"
Posts: 16,393
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kujo411 View Post
So I went to the suzuki dealership in Boulder today after a nice mountain ride to see about getting my FI system remapped with the yosh box. I figured it would take about 5mins because that's what I have read on here. I figure, give them the bike, empty my bladder and get out. The guy at the maintenance counter tells me it takes a couple of days because they have to hook it up to some dyno jet thing-a-ma-jig and I'm like "I thought you just hook it up, re-map the system and I'm out." He's like "oh no, I'm going to need your bike for at least three days." So I got the hell on outta there. So is this guy full of *&#[email protected] and wants to empty my pockets (or maybe he just doensn't know ^&%$) or am I wrong?? From what I have read it is a simple enough procedure. Thanks for any insight (and if anyone knows a place in the denver area to get it done that would be helpful too!)
Yep...he is full of crap.:rolleyes: The only thing that would maybe make sense, would be to check the fuel/air ratio with a sniffer. If he is going to do a dyno tune while using a Yosh adjuster, than that is plain hilarious. Otherwise it is about a 10 to 15 min job "at best". Tell ya what...just get yourself a PCIII and be done with it. Your Strom will run perfect, and you can adjust the fuel output anytime you want.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”




Big B is offline  
post #3 of 20 Old 07-08-2007, 08:28 AM
$tromtrooper
 
FireDog45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 839
Quote from the Yoshimura Advanced Fuel Management System Adjuster Box instructions:

"Yoshimura recommends that all tuning/testing be done on a load-step dynamometer with an exhaust gas analyzer. Please keep a logbook of adjustments made to the motorcycle(s) fuel injection so changes can be monitored and the bike can be tuned in the most efficient manner."

They also recommend when adjusting the idle map that you keep the CO% in the 2-3% range for "optimum mixture". They liken it to adjusting the pilot mixture screw on a carbed bike and that every bike will respond differently.

This is the reason I will be dyno tuning mine with the Yosh box this week (based on when the box gets delivered).

You can tweek your bike without the dyno (mine was as well as B's) but if you have access to the dyno and exaust gas analyzer ( which sounds like you do ) I would consider going that route. I do believe that the 3 days is a bit excessive, however. You should be able to fully dial in the ECM with a half dozen pulls at the most. I'll know for sure later.

Ride safe.

Steve
09 GSA
Gone but not forgotten:
Blue 2002 Vee
08 KLR
02 ST1100
99 DR350
FireDog45 is offline  
 
post #4 of 20 Old 07-08-2007, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator
 
Big B's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Central OHIO "Go Buckeyes"
Posts: 16,393
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDog45 View Post
Quote from the Yoshimura Advanced Fuel Management System Adjuster Box instructions:

"Yoshimura recommends that all tuning/testing be done on a load-step dynamometer with an exhaust gas analyzer. Please keep a logbook of adjustments made to the motorcycle(s) fuel injection so changes can be monitored and the bike can be tuned in the most efficient manner."

They also recommend when adjusting the idle map that you keep the CO% in the 2-3% range for "optimum mixture". They liken it to adjusting the pilot mixture screw on a carbed bike and that every bike will respond differently.

This is the reason I will be dyno tuning mine with the Yosh box this week (based on when the box gets delivered).

You can tweek your bike without the dyno (mine was as well as B's) but if you have access to the dyno and exaust gas analyzer ( which sounds like you do ) I would consider going that route. I do believe that the 3 days is a bit excessive, however. You should be able to fully dial in the ECM with a half dozen pulls at the most. I'll know for sure later.

Ride safe.
Yup......I know that is what Yoshimura recommends, but by the time most people spend the money on a dyno tune and other labor, you could've pretty much bought a PCIII. There is "no doubt" that the yosh box is a cure for the leans, but it isn't the best solution for some people.

There has been allot of bikes tuned without the dyno, and there has been good results. As we all know, the fuel delivery at idle and low range is the real concern for those that keep the exhaust stock. There is no doubt that an analyzer or dyno would finely tune the FI while using the Yosh, I guess it's all in how much a person is willing to pay.

When are you and me going golfing!!!!!!!:twisted:

Brian

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”





Last edited by Big B; 07-08-2007 at 11:42 AM.
Big B is offline  
post #5 of 20 Old 07-08-2007, 12:29 PM
$tromtrooper
 
FireDog45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B View Post
Yup......I know that is what Yoshimura recommends, but by the time most people spend the money on a dyno tune and other labor, you could've pretty much bought a PCIII. There is "no doubt" that the yosh box is a cure for the leans, but it isn't the best solution for some people.

There has been allot of bikes tuned without the dyno, and there has been good results. As we all know, the fuel delivery at idle and low range is the real concern for those that keep the exhaust stock. There is no doubt that an analyzer or dyno would finely tune the FI while using the Yosh, I guess it's all in how much a person is willing to pay.

When are you and me going golfing!!!!!!!:twisted:

Brian
No doubt about the cost issue, B! I will be calling the shop in the morning to finalize costs and such and hopefully I can get out of there without spending the cost of the PCIII! I was originally told "about $60" for dyno time so I'll be curious to see what it will really be. I'm hoping that I can get a break if all they have to do is run the dyno and let me do the tweaking on the box. Hell, I might be right were I need to be after the first Yoshing. I figured that I might as well wait to check until I had the box on hand in case it needed further tweaking. Besides, tuning on the dyno will be kinda fun to see...

As far as the golf goes, my schedule is wide open most of the time. I just do the one day, two day off firefighter thing. Give me a couple days notice and I'm usually good to go. You're the one doing the Monday-Friday thing...:rolleyes:

Steve
09 GSA
Gone but not forgotten:
Blue 2002 Vee
08 KLR
02 ST1100
99 DR350
FireDog45 is offline  
post #6 of 20 Old 07-08-2007, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator
 
Big B's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Central OHIO "Go Buckeyes"
Posts: 16,393
Garage
If you can get out of there for $60 and a correctly tuned FI system...than that would rock!!! Doubt that many others can get such a good deal as you, but ya just never know.

Maybe you will be the Yosh box guru after it is all said and done.

As for my work schedule...you know that I am almost always free from morning to mid afternoon, Mon-Fri. Be sure to let us all know how the dyno and yosh tune goes.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”




Big B is offline  
post #7 of 20 Old 07-08-2007, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 13
hmm

I was thinking they were full of it. Seems like a lot of people get good results from the yosh box without all the testing. I would love the pcIII but just cant see spending the 300 duckets for the deal. I did the throttle body sync and removed the secondaries but am still getting some hessitation/surging in the low rpms under 40mph. My last hope is that the FI remapping will fix the problem. If that doesn't work I'm going to need some other advice. That or a klr I guess. Those bikes may not have the juice but they are like clock work!
kujo411 is offline  
post #8 of 20 Old 07-09-2007, 11:35 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
MonkeyGrass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 1,025
Send a message via AIM to MonkeyGrass Send a message via MSN to MonkeyGrass
Well most dyno-jobs (especially if they want your bike for 3 days) are going to cost right around that much. You don't need a dyno for a Yosh. Can it help? Sure. Is it required? Hell no... most people here (and on the other forum) are using virtually the same settings. +1.5-2% at idle, +5% on the low range. That's it. All you are doing is trying to get rid of the lean surge, not turn your Strom into a drag bike. You can tell when the surge is gone simply by riding the bike around the parking lot. What I've done with the Strom's I've Yosh'd is set the idle to +2.5%, ride it to make sure the surge is gone, then start dialing it back at .2% intervals until it starts to appear again. Go back one setting, and you are "dialed in". Then add 5% at the low range, re-do your TBS and you will have a very well behaved 1k. I also recommend doing this during the summer time, preferably on hot day. Some folks that Yosh'd during the winter months have had the "leans" crop back up when the temps rise in the heat of the summer.

Or, as Big B said - "You could just buy a PCIII and be done with it". We both used the Yosh method for over a year - then went to a PCIII and haven't looked back. It really is the "ULTIMATE" solution for the bike.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][I][SIZE=1][SIZE=3][SIZE=3][B]
V-Strom - embarrassing squids since 2002.[/B][/SIZE][/SIZE]

[/SIZE][/I][FONT=Georgia]DL1000K2 #938
[SIZE=1][COLOR=Navy][B][SIZE=2]Blue, of course!!

[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=2][I][B]
R.I.P Jason. You will be missed.[/B][/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
MonkeyGrass is offline  
post #9 of 20 Old 07-09-2007, 12:19 PM
$tromtrooper
 
GrayStrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: round on both sides and "hi" in the middle
Posts: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyGrass View Post
Some folks that Yosh'd during the winter months have had the "leans" crop back up when the temps rise in the heat of the summer.
OK, so what info am I missing...
Less fuel is needed when it's warmer, more when it's cooler, because the change in air density- more dense when cooler. Do these bikes tend to overcompensate for temp changes?

K7 DL650
"It is invariably saddening to look through new eyes at things upon which you have expended your own powers of adjustment."
-a former member of the "bigger bike is better" club?
GrayStrom is offline  
post #10 of 20 Old 07-09-2007, 01:12 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
MonkeyGrass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 1,025
Send a message via AIM to MonkeyGrass Send a message via MSN to MonkeyGrass
Yes, the bike will attempt to compensate for the change in ambient air - to a certain degree. It's not so much "over" compensating, as it "under" compenstates - the stock FI mapping will only allow so much fuel to be delivered, so when the ambient temps rise to a certain level, there is only so much fuel to be "had" in regards to the map that's programmed. So when it gets hot, and the ECU says it need less fuel, the FI system doesn't give it all the fuel it needs thanks to the lean programming mandated by the EPA. So a bike that runs fairly well in the wintertime can often suffer from lean surge, hesitation and even stalling when the weather gets hotter b/c the FI map adjusts to the ambient air and won't give it enough fuel.

I think I said that somewhat clearly!! If it doesn't make sense I'll try to clarify.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][I][SIZE=1][SIZE=3][SIZE=3][B]
V-Strom - embarrassing squids since 2002.[/B][/SIZE][/SIZE]

[/SIZE][/I][FONT=Georgia]DL1000K2 #938
[SIZE=1][COLOR=Navy][B][SIZE=2]Blue, of course!!

[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=2][I][B]
R.I.P Jason. You will be missed.[/B][/I][/SIZE][/FONT]

Last edited by MonkeyGrass; 07-10-2007 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Made a big boo-boo! MUST double-check posts... ;)
MonkeyGrass is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome