first impression ... throttle rocker - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
V-Strom Modifications and Performance The brag page, good and bad.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 05-21-2007, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Fremont, Calif.
Posts: 2,208
Thumbs up first impression ... throttle rocker

consider this a follow-on to other recent threads on hand numbness/cramps during long rides.

i've long suffered from right hand numbness after relatively short periods. 30 minutes and i get tingly; 45 minutes and my right hand is numb. this can be downright painful ... and dangerous.

i'd forgotten how unpleasant it can be. my touring bike has electronic cruise control that just about eliminates the problem. the strom reminded me ... bummed me out a little.

so i broke down and tried the throttle rocker (also known as cramp buster) ... a plastic clip that straps onto your throttle grip, and lets your wrist/palm absorb some of the burden of gripping the throttle grip. don't know why i never tried one before, think i had it in my head that it would interfere with on/off throttling on a twisty road.

well, i just got back from a 50-minute ride to oakland and back and i have to say first impressions are very positive. it will take some time to get used to the rocker, but it really only feels awkward when you are first setting off. and even then only a little. in short order i felt very comfortable with it.

and the best part ... no numbness. to be honest, there was some tingling ... but at that point i relaxed my grip even further, basically just resting my arm on the right bar. and no numbness.

i want to go on longer rides before i give it two thumbs up, but so far it is 20 bucks well spent.
TouringDude is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 05-21-2007, 04:49 PM
$tromtrooper
 
whistler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Southern Maryland
Posts: 467
It's nice, huh? I use a Throttle Rocker (with a velcro strap), and it's probably the most useful addition I've made to my scoot. I can flex my hand and fingers while maintaining speed without a problem. A very practical farkle, IMHO.

2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT (Annabelle)
2013 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Juliette)
2013 Yamaha FJR 1300 (Rachel)
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250S (Fiona)
2006 Honda VFR800 (Jenny)
2005 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Hannah)
2003 Honda Shadow Sabre VT1100 (Veronica)
whistler is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 05-21-2007, 05:57 PM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
 
greywolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Evanston IL USA
Posts: 38,049
Garage
I have an Audiovox CCS-100 real cruise control and a NEP CC4 throttle "locker". Both are useful depending on the traffic volume. A rocker would fit too but I think I can manage without it.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
greywolf is offline  
 
post #4 of 11 Old 05-21-2007, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Fremont, Calif.
Posts: 2,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf View Post
I have an Audiovox CCS-100 real cruise control and a NEP CC4 throttle "locker". Both are useful depending on the traffic volume. A rocker would fit too but I think I can manage without it.
pat ... can you please link me to the audiovox cruise control? i had a link years ago but lost it. could not easily find it at audiovox.com.

i suspect the electronic cruise goes a bit further than i want to go, but i wanted to check out their latest offering.

thanks in advance.
TouringDude is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 05-21-2007, 07:08 PM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
 
greywolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Evanston IL USA
Posts: 38,049
Garage
http://www.rvbprecision.com/articles...cruise_control contains lots of information and links.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
greywolf is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 05-21-2007, 08:13 PM
$tromtrooper
 
mrltt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by whistler View Post
It's nice, huh? I use a Throttle Rocker (with a velcro strap), and it's probably the most useful addition I've made to my scoot. I can flex my hand and fingers while maintaining speed without a problem. A very practical farkle, IMHO.
Whistler - are you talking about the velcro strap to attach it or a strap to make it into more of a cruise control? If the latter, could you elaborate? I've got rockers (left and right) on order right now...

Blue DL1000K7
mrltt is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 05-21-2007, 08:48 PM
$tromtrooper
 
GRS1959's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Akron, OH
Posts: 850
Send a message via AIM to GRS1959 Send a message via Yahoo to GRS1959
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrltt View Post
Whistler - are you talking about the velcro strap to attach it or a strap to make it into more of a cruise control? If the latter, could you elaborate? I've got rockers (left and right) on order right now...
I think he is talking about the Throttle Rocker II... which is attached to the grip using a velcro strap:


The original Throttle Rocker (similar to the product currently known as the Cramp Buster) was simply a single curved piece of plastic that wrapped around the grip:

- Gary

Be Ashamed to Die Until You Have Won Some Victory for Humanity. ~Horace Mann

Red DL650K6
GRS1959 is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 05-21-2007, 09:36 PM
Super Moderator
 
V-Tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Port Perry, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 12,520
I like the one piece (no velcro) one better.

I had that on my Strom when I had the stock grips. It worked well, and I could change the adjustment any time. For example, when on higher speed highways or lower speed county roads.

When I added my Hot Grips the original rocker was too small. I had to get a larger one and the only one I could find was at a Harley Dealership and it had the Velcro. There is nothing wrong with how it works or how well it stays put, but to adjust it you have to unlock the Velcro and move it. With the original you just turned it in the same direction as releasing the throttle until you got it where you wanted and it stayed at the new position.

..Tom

2006 DL650: 202,000 km 125,500 miles, Sold
2012 DL650 139,500+ km, 86,700+ miles. Sold
2015 DL1000 New July 2015 193,000+ km, 120,000 miles.

This can help preventing from cars pulling out in front of you (SMIDSY)
SMIDSY detailed report.


V-Tom is online now  
post #9 of 11 Old 05-21-2007, 10:58 PM
$tromtrooper
 
GRS1959's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Akron, OH
Posts: 850
Send a message via AIM to GRS1959 Send a message via Yahoo to GRS1959
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Tom View Post
I like the one piece (no velcro) one better.

I had that on my Strom when I had the stock grips. It worked well, and I could change the adjustment any time. For example, when on higher speed highways or lower speed county roads.

When I added my Hot Grips the original rocker was too small. I had to get a larger one and the only one I could find was at a Harley Dealership and it had the Velcro. There is nothing wrong with how it works or how well it stays put, but to adjust it you have to unlock the Velcro and move it. With the original you just turned it in the same direction as releasing the throttle until you got it where you wanted and it stayed at the new position.

..Tom
I can see where the one piece would be better. I bought the velcro version because I knew it would fit over my Grip Puppies. As far as adjustment, I just never move it

I think it really helps on longer rides. I found one on eBay for $7:95 w/ free shipping. Well worth it.

- Gary

Be Ashamed to Die Until You Have Won Some Victory for Humanity. ~Horace Mann

Red DL650K6
GRS1959 is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old 05-21-2007, 11:30 PM
$tromtrooper
 
whistler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Southern Maryland
Posts: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRS1959 View Post
I think he is talking about the Throttle Rocker II... which is attached to the grip using a velcro strap:


The original Throttle Rocker (similar to the product currently known as the Cramp Buster) was simply a single curved piece of plastic that wrapped around the grip:

Yup, that's the one, alright. I have no experience with the Original TR/Crampbuster, but they also look very functional. If my velcro model ever goes belly up, I may just get one of the plastic wraparound models.

2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT (Annabelle)
2013 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Juliette)
2013 Yamaha FJR 1300 (Rachel)
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250S (Fiona)
2006 Honda VFR800 (Jenny)
2005 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Hannah)
2003 Honda Shadow Sabre VT1100 (Veronica)
whistler is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome