I have been riding for about 7 years and mostly on vintage and antique bikes. Lately, I have gotten into riding longer distances and camping trips, and I think it is time for a new bike to feed my long distance/adventure touring appetite.
For the last two years I have been piling the miles (10k/yr) on my 1972 R75/5 toaster, which is a wonderful bike, and has been extremely dependable, but I have noticed the following limitations:
1. Poor performance in high altitudes and temperatures
2. I come close to exceeding the GWTR with my weight 210 lbs, and my Gal's weight (100 +/-... I don't ask), so camping needs to be light.
3. Very expensive to replace certain cosmetic parts (pristine toaster tank), I would never forgive myself if wrecked the bike.
4. Limited cargo space while maintaining vintage looks
5. Limited dirt road ability
6. Poor fuel range (200 miles +/-)
In light of these issues, I have decided to supplement my collection of older bikes with something newer. I have heard rave reviews of the Vstrom since they came out.
Do you think that it is the right bike for me? If so, should I get a DL650 or a DL1000? Given my 2-up camping desires, I am leaning towards a DL1000.
I am going to be in the market for a used Strom either way, and my price range is <5k. What should I look for in terms of accessories? I know I want crash bars and bags, but which ones? What else?
My current ride:
Bike Pr0n - Mike's 1972 R75/5 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!