what are the downfalls of this bike? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
V-Curious A place for those that are thinking about buying a V-Strom to ask V-Strom owners questions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 02-18-2011, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
supernewf71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Munster hamlet, Ontario ,Canada
Posts: 478
Garage
what are the downfalls of this bike?

Just wondering what would be the downfalls of this bike or things to watch for when buying a used wee?
supernewf71 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 27 Old 02-18-2011, 05:37 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,096
Watch out you don't hurt your face with the wide grin...nothing else to worry about :mrgreen:

DL650A K7
StromTech is offline  
post #3 of 27 Old 02-18-2011, 05:41 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
CanadianFZ6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Kichener/Waterloo Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,856
If you don't own one.... then that's a downfall

2015 DL650AL5 in Blue
CanadianFZ6 is offline  
 
post #4 of 27 Old 02-18-2011, 05:50 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
honest bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Courtice ontario canada
Posts: 1,564
You can never say that you think it might be better than a Vee

ADVENTURE, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.
The destination, can be the journey! Honest Bob
honest bob is offline  
post #5 of 27 Old 02-18-2011, 06:46 PM
Living the Stereotype
 
Stromin'Nroman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Henderson County, NC
Posts: 11,543
Not that there's anything wrong with them, but:

  • They're top-heavy with a long reach for the legs which can make backing up challenging.
  • Some allege there is buffeting off the stock windshield.
  • The seat is not for everybody.
  • New ones are no longer available in orange.
  • The suspension and brakes are not top-notch according to many despite the modest MSRP.
  • The oil filter and cooler are in vulnerable locations.
  • You'll spend 36 minutes of your life removing and replacing plastic each time you need to get to many maintenance items.
  • There's no chrome to polish.
  • The electrical output capacity is marginally acceptable to cold-blooded gadget junkies.
  • The dashboard melts under prolonged exposure to direct sunlight.
  • The chain needs lubricating.
  • Some people thing the flimsy handlebars have too much bend back.
  • There have been throttle position sensor issues on some bikes.
  • There have been stator issues on some bikes.
  • There no sticker warning the operator not to lock the keys in the locked storage area uinder the seat.
  • Helmet lock system is laughable.
  • Wire spoke wheel option not available from Suzuki.
  • Ditto on belt drive.
  • Ditto on shaft drive.
  • Women don't swoon over them.
  • ABS is not available on the 1000's
  • No factory ABS cutoff switch.
  • New 650's available only with ABS.
  • Stock exhaust note on "Saves Lives" scale scores a manslaughter rating.

Sent from my Hewlett-Packard 75C, using the Flying Merkel motorcycle app.

Stromin'Nroman NC28729, USA

DL650A K7 (Greywolf Moto Lab's R&D test mule) June 1, 2012 - present
DL650A K7 April 23, 2007 - January 6, 2012, RIP

"Look here brother, who you jivin' with that cosmik debris?" Frank Zappa, 1975
Stromin'Nroman is offline  
post #6 of 27 Old 02-18-2011, 07:47 PM
$tromtrooper
 
Scarlett Harlot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: The Islamic Republic of Ohio
Posts: 4,255
"Just wondering what would be the downfalls of this bike or things to watch for when buying a used wee? "



I purchased mine in July of 06 and the following April my grandaughter was born naked. However, mine was purchased new.

'05 GL1800A-The Banana Hammock

Target fixator extraordinaire.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups. ― George Carlin

Make the world safe for stupid people and you will end up with a world full of stupid people.
Scarlett Harlot is offline  
post #7 of 27 Old 02-18-2011, 07:58 PM
$tromtrooper
 
jokermtb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: plymouth, michigan
Posts: 3,081
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromin'Nroman View Post
Not that there's anything wrong with them, but:

  • They're top-heavy with a long reach for the legs which can make backing up challenging.
  • Some allege there is buffeting off the stock windshield.
  • The seat is not for everybody.
  • New ones are no longer available in orange.
  • The suspension and brakes are not top-notch according to many despite the modest MSRP.
  • The oil filter and cooler are in vulnerable locations.
  • You'll spend 36 minutes of your life removing and replacing plastic each time you need to get to many maintenance items.
  • There's no chrome to polish.
  • The electrical output capacity is marginally acceptable to cold-blooded gadget junkies.
  • The dashboard melts under prolonged exposure to direct sunlight.
  • The chain needs lubricating.
  • Some people thing the flimsy handlebars have too much bend back.
  • There have been throttle position sensor issues on some bikes.
  • There have been stator issues on some bikes.
  • There no sticker warning the operator not to lock the keys in the locked storage area uinder the seat.
  • Helmet lock system is laughable.
  • Wire spoke wheel option not available from Suzuki.
  • Ditto on belt drive.
  • Ditto on shaft drive.
  • Women don't swoon over them.
  • ABS is not available on the 1000's
  • No factory ABS cutoff switch.
  • New 650's available only with ABS.
  • Stock exhaust note on "Saves Lives" scale scores a manslaughter rating.
This should be a sticky, somewhere!

And, I can't believe you forgot to mention the mouse roar emitter [stock horn]....

"Side effects may include: Mild kidney explosions...Testicular cranberrying... And Rectal hallucinations."
jokermtb is offline  
post #8 of 27 Old 02-18-2011, 08:09 PM
Living the Stereotype
 
Stromin'Nroman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Henderson County, NC
Posts: 11,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by jokermtb View Post
This should be a sticky, somewhere!

And, I can't believe you forgot to mention the mouse roar emitter [stock horn]....
My hand was starting to cramp, I felt like Ray McKigney.

Sent from my Hewlett-Packard 75C, using the Flying Merkel motorcycle app.

Stromin'Nroman NC28729, USA

DL650A K7 (Greywolf Moto Lab's R&D test mule) June 1, 2012 - present
DL650A K7 April 23, 2007 - January 6, 2012, RIP

"Look here brother, who you jivin' with that cosmik debris?" Frank Zappa, 1975
Stromin'Nroman is offline  
post #9 of 27 Old 02-18-2011, 09:11 PM
Super Moderator
 
V-Tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Port Perry, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 12,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernewf71 View Post
Just wondering what would be the downfalls of this bike or things to watch for when buying a used wee?
My wife left me a while after I got the bike.

I don't know if it a downfall (lots of separation costs) or a positive (my wife left me a while after I got the bike.)

..Tom

2006 DL650: 202,000 km 125,500 miles, Sold
2012 DL650 139,500+ km, 86,700+ miles. Sold
2015 DL1000 New July 2015 200,000+ km, 125,000 miles.

This can help preventing from cars pulling out in front of you (SMIDSY)
SMIDSY detailed report.


V-Tom is offline  
post #10 of 27 Old 02-19-2011, 07:00 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
JoWhee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Eastern Ontario, Canada
Posts: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Tom View Post
My wife left me a while after I got the bike.

I don't know if it a downfall (lots of separation costs) or a positive (my wife left me a while after I got the bike.)

..Tom
You could have got a bike for your wife.. it would have been a good trade.

Other downfalls are frequent oil and tire changes. It must be a variant of "time flies when you're having fun" Mileage flies when you're having fun.

2003 DL 1000
JoWhee is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome