[Edit: 2/6/11; Bought it for $3400; my first Strom!]
Still on a quest for my first Strom. Looking hard at one on craigslist. SUZUKI 650 VSTROM They say they're firm at $3500 which is under KBB; but I'd totally hit this if I could get it for $3,000, or even $3,100.
My questions for you:
1) What are your thoughts? Wait? Buy?
2) And if you'd buy, what would your max price be?
3) Also, since this bike is about 2 hours away and I'd prefer not to go there unless I was actually going to buy it; can I do this kind of negotiation on the phone? Am I missing any important questions to ask?
Here is craigslist details:
2005 Suzuki V-Strom, 28,000 miles, new tires, Givi Monokey Hardcase carrier, Extra tall windshield, Excellent Condition. Includes all gear for medium woman: leather pants, Rocket jacket with zip lining and outer shell, heated gloves, Shoei Helmet w/clear and tinted shield, etc
Here are questions they responded to via email:
0) What's the mileage on the bike? - 28K
0.5) Does the bike have ABS? No
1) When could I test drive it? (I do have a WA endorsement). What would you need ot see for a test drive (I have gear and such). Yes, with a $3500 deposit.
2) Any mechanical problems with the bike? Would you mind if my friend who knows motorcycles test drove it too? And perhaps taking it by a dealer to check it out? No problems, no problem
3) Do you have the title for it? Is title clean or re-built? I have a clean title, and am the original owner
4) Has it been dropped? yes but turn signal has been replaced
5) Are you negotiable on price? What's the lowest you could take? $3500 please visit 2005 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom 650 Motorcycle Retail Value & Price - Kelley Blue Book
for value without all the extras
7) What's your phone number so we can discuss this in more detail? Edit: Phone number deleted
8) How much did you purchase the bike for? I'm the original owner
10) I'm guessing you're the second owner? No
11) What was the mileage when you bought the bike? 0
11.5) How much in accessories did you put on it? bigger windshield, softer seat, givi monokey case as shown in pictures
12) Can you tell me what type of riding you've done on the bike? 30 miles each way to and from work
13) Do you have the bike's VIN, so I can run some background checks on it? Edit: VIN deleted
14) Do you have any service records? If so, can you email those? I've done all the manufacturer's recommended maintenance.
15) After how many miles did you change the oil? What you'd replace it with? I had the dealer do it every 3000 miles, as recommended. Don't know what type of oil the dealer used.
16) What kind of gas did you use? The manufacturer recommends regular unleaded so that is what I used.
17) How much tread is left on the tires? Tires have less than a couple of hundred miles on them, as does the battery too.
Craigslist link, phone number and VIN deleted.