Just get the 1000, buyers remorse isn't worth it. Yup there are endless threads with this debate, tons of reviews, and plenty of vids out there.......good luck.
That is what i actually kinda knew already but also feared a bit. I need to spend more money in order to not feel this remorse.
The 2014 model seems to be fine, the 2017 XT got my heart tho, not only because of the slightly different (but imho alot better looking) beak but also because of the spoked wheels (esp. the golden ones on the yellow bike). The differences between 2014 and 2017 are not that big. As I've read it.
- New Motion Track Brake System; Absolutely nice to have. Really worth a thought.
- Newly shaped windscreen featuring height and angle adjustment; I'm not very tall and this is fixable with aftermarket parts anyway.
- New “Beak” design inspired by DR-BIG; just for the looks.
- Hand guards and engine under cowling protection now standard fitment; both are not very effective for harder offroading. Nice to have anyways.
- New Suzuki Easy Start System; Have it on the sv650x, I can live without it.
- New Low RPM Assist; Saved my bike from tiping over when i almost killed the engine in low revs in a very tight turn. Other then that, I can live without it. It's really cool tho.
That's it. Needs some thinking but I think the 2014 might be fine.