CB750 to DL650? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
V-Curious A place for those that are thinking about buying a V-Strom to ask V-Strom owners questions

 10Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 07-09-2018, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: PA
Posts: 36
CB750 to DL650?

In the process of thinking about getting a new to me bike. Currently I have a 2000 Nighthawk 750 as my "re-entry to riding" bike as I have been away for 7-8 years. It's good, I like it, but I think I'm ready for something a little more versatile in terms of stretching the legs for some moderate distance riding. I've had many bikes before, always Japanese and with 1 exception (Intruder 1400) always inline 4s.

I have been thinking about a Bandit 1250S or possibly GSX1250FA for a while. But I have a buddy that recently bought a Tiger and I really dig that bike. He claims it's the most comfortable bike he's been on and I believe it. I don't have Triumph money and have heard a lot of great things about the vstroms so here we are. I love the fact that these bikes have an incredible forum support network - I take that as a great sign.

I've read a bunch of the 650 v 1000 threads and i think a 650 will suit me fine. I don't really expect to ever want to ride 2 up loaded down with gear on long highway stretches, so that seems to make the choice easy. Plus that opens up a lot more years of more affordable models to choose from.

The nighthawk is fine so I'm not in a rush and plan to wait for a good deal. I just hope I can find one to sit on soon to make sure it will be a good fit.

Thanks for this great forum, I've enjoyed lurking so far.
FarmTruck is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 Old 07-09-2018, 10:07 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
dmfdmf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: California
Posts: 769
From what you said a V-Strom should fill the bill but you won't know if you like until you ride one. Since you've got the Nighthawk there is no rush to pick up a 'Strom so maybe you can find a cheap one now or in the Fall that doesn't need tires, brakes, chain, sprocket & etc. and ride it for 6-12 months with only gas/oil expenses and see if it is a good fit, sell it for what you paid and then hunt down a better V-Strom next year if you liked the rental.

Way back in 2014 I bought a 2007 Wee fixer-upper (not recommended) for $1500 and fixed it up and road it for four years then I sold it in April for $3000 (don't be fooled, net loss) and bought a 2014 Wee in red, which is the bike I really wanted.

Pink Floyd: And did you exchange a walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current: 2014 V-Strom DL650 ABS Red
Next Up: ?
Past: Suzuki: DL650AK7, GS400; Honda: CB125, Express 49cc
dmfdmf is offline  
post #3 of 19 Old 07-09-2018, 10:38 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Posts: 1,668
Welcome aboard, FT!
You mentioned comfort and looking at a Bandit 1250S. The B1250S has mega torque, an excellent machine, smooth in every way. But for me, the seat and handlebars were unbearable for distance. Maybe a Corbin seat and different bars I could have been fine with it.
But oh so different from a Vstrom! You have to ride one.
MAZ4ME is offline  
 
post #4 of 19 Old 07-09-2018, 10:58 PM
MrF
Stromthusiast!
 
MrF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 131
Garage
FarmTruck, last year I made the same switch you're considering. I replaced my '97 CB750 with a '16 DL650. I love the Glee (as the 12-16 650 is known around here).

The ergos while riding are surprisingly similar to the NH for someone my size (5'7"). I'm either on my toes or one-footing it when stopped on the Glee, which took me a little while to get used to. The peak power on the Glee is a little less than the NH, but peak torque is lower in the RPM band so it feels a little quicker than the NH. (That's assuming that my carb-tuning skills were enough to get peak power out of the NH.) I averaged around 37mpg on the NH, I average 49-50mpg on the Glee. That could also be related to my skills with the carbs though.

I miss some things about my NH, and I would have kept it if I had room for two bikes. It was far and away a prettier bike to look at than the Glee. I like the throttle response of the CV carbs better than the snappy onset of the fuel injection on the Glee, but I don't miss working on those carbs one little bit. Overall though, the Glee was a better choice for commuting which is about 90% of my riding these days, and a better choice for year-round riding.

I also considered the Tiger 800, Super Tenere, and KLR650 as replacements, but didn't get a chance to ride them. I managed to find a leftover new 2016 Glee in 2017 for a good price and jumped on it. I don't think you'll be disappointed with it as a NH replacement. Good luck with your search!

2016 V-Strom 650
MrF is offline  
post #5 of 19 Old 07-10-2018, 02:14 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
Gert's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: South Africa
Posts: 1,595
Welcome to the Forum.
ugatha likes this.
Gert is offline  
post #6 of 19 Old 07-10-2018, 08:10 AM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
 
realshelby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 4,858
I think the V STrom, either 650 or 1000, can really open up riding experiences. Both can be made to be stellar long distance bikes. Due to the ergonomics they have plenty of room and footpeg lowering kits are cheap and work perfectly. Seats are available that complete the "fit". You just cannot fix some bikes to fit for all day rides, and the NightHawk is one of those imo.

If you can afford the 2014 and up DL 1000 you will really like the power, brakes and suspension. Not a Bandit, but if you are wanting that extra power the 1000 has plenty.
Big B likes this.

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]
realshelby is online now  
post #7 of 19 Old 07-10-2018, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: PA
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmfdmf View Post
From what you said a V-Strom should fill the bill but you won't know if you like until you ride one. Since you've got the Nighthawk there is no rush to pick up a 'Strom so maybe you can find a cheap one now or in the Fall that doesn't need tires, brakes, chain, sprocket & etc. and ride it for 6-12 months with only gas/oil expenses and see if it is a good fit, sell it for what you paid and then hunt down a better V-Strom next year if you liked the rental.

Way back in 2014 I bought a 2007 Wee fixer-upper (not recommended) for $1500 and fixed it up and road it for four years then I sold it in April for $3000 (don't be fooled, net loss) and bought a 2014 Wee in red, which is the bike I really wanted.
That is an interesting idea, I guess at a certain point the depreciation curve on these flattens out and you could probably run one for a year without losing a lot of money. Kinda of like the nighthawk, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAZ4ME View Post
Welcome aboard, FT!
You mentioned comfort and looking at a Bandit 1250S. The B1250S has mega torque, an excellent machine, smooth in every way. But for me, the seat and handlebars were unbearable for distance. Maybe a Corbin seat and different bars I could have been fine with it.
But oh so different from a Vstrom! You have to ride one.
Yes I've read a lot of great things about the bandit's down low power delivery and being super smooth. I have also read about the seat and handlebars being an issue. Like you said I imagine a new seat would help and risers for the handlebar could probably straighten the riding position more, if needed. I don't think a little forward lean would be bad, except for those long trips where the pressure really starts to get on your wrists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrF View Post
FarmTruck, last year I made the same switch you're considering. I replaced my '97 CB750 with a '16 DL650. I love the Glee (as the 12-16 650 is known around here).

The ergos while riding are surprisingly similar to the NH for someone my size (5'7"). I'm either on my toes or one-footing it when stopped on the Glee, which took me a little while to get used to. The peak power on the Glee is a little less than the NH, but peak torque is lower in the RPM band so it feels a little quicker than the NH. (That's assuming that my carb-tuning skills were enough to get peak power out of the NH.) I averaged around 37mpg on the NH, I average 49-50mpg on the Glee. That could also be related to my skills with the carbs though.

I miss some things about my NH, and I would have kept it if I had room for two bikes. It was far and away a prettier bike to look at than the Glee. I like the throttle response of the CV carbs better than the snappy onset of the fuel injection on the Glee, but I don't miss working on those carbs one little bit. Overall though, the Glee was a better choice for commuting which is about 90% of my riding these days, and a better choice for year-round riding.

I also considered the Tiger 800, Super Tenere, and KLR650 as replacements, but didn't get a chance to ride them. I managed to find a leftover new 2016 Glee in 2017 for a good price and jumped on it. I don't think you'll be disappointed with it as a NH replacement. Good luck with your search!
It's really interesting you made the same switch. I was a little concerned it would not be enough of a bump in power...but the power delivery of the Wee/Glee sounds more like my riding style.
I'm 5'10", so not too far off. Maybe I'd have a little more flat footed stopped position, which would be nice.
Glee? Is that due to something regarding the Gladius?
I'm with you on the carbs...it would take quite a bit for me to choose another carb bike next time around. I'm just done.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert View Post
Welcome to the Forum.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by realshelby View Post
I think the V STrom, either 650 or 1000, can really open up riding experiences. Both can be made to be stellar long distance bikes. Due to the ergonomics they have plenty of room and footpeg lowering kits are cheap and work perfectly. Seats are available that complete the "fit". You just cannot fix some bikes to fit for all day rides, and the NightHawk is one of those imo.

If you can afford the 2014 and up DL 1000 you will really like the power, brakes and suspension. Not a Bandit, but if you are wanting that extra power the 1000 has plenty.
I am really happy to see all the affordable aftermarket support for these bikes. Reminds me a bit of when I used to play around with a miata.
Unfortunately a newer 1000 would definitely be out of the price range. I don't NEED power, I am just more used to liter+ bikes so sometimes I wish had more power at my disposal, but we all know a 650 is still plenty fast enough to get you in trouble.

Thanks everyone for your comments!
FarmTruck is offline  
post #8 of 19 Old 07-10-2018, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Posts: 1,668
FT, a little forward lean isnt big deal for me. My ZRX1100 has a bit of that lean, but at highway speeds, the wind balances that out so I'm riding pretty much in a neutral position.
What IS a big deal for me is the legroom, and my Vstrom 1000 has a good 5" more in distance between the seat and the footpegs. That feature alone kept a new Yamaha FJR1300 out of my garage, and stope me from taking the ZRX out for the longer rides I used to do all the time.
Pretty obvious I know, but if a bike isnt all that comfortable, you'll just not want to ride it that much.
Years ago I had a friend in the Chicago, Illinois, area, I'm in St. Louis, Mo. 300 miles between us. He had a '00 Kawasaki 1200 Ninja, I had(and still have) my ZRX. I suggested we meet halfway, say Bloomington at the 160 mile marker and ride in the area there. He say, "Are you nuts? I can't ride my Ninja 160 miles, I'll be a crippled pretzel!" I then asked why would you have a bike you couldnt ride that distance? He says.."Because it's so cool!"
Comfort is king, my friend.
Hatchi likes this.
MAZ4ME is offline  
post #9 of 19 Old 07-10-2018, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: PA
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAZ4ME View Post
FT, a little forward lean isnt big deal for me. My ZRX1100 has a bit of that lean, but at highway speeds, the wind balances that out so I'm riding pretty much in a neutral position.
What IS a big deal for me is the legroom, and my Vstrom 1000 has a good 5" more in distance between the seat and the footpegs. That feature alone kept a new Yamaha FJR1300 out of my garage, and stope me from taking the ZRX out for the longer rides I used to do all the time.
Pretty obvious I know, but if a bike isnt all that comfortable, you'll just not want to ride it that much.
Years ago I had a friend in the Chicago, Illinois, area, I'm in St. Louis, Mo. 300 miles between us. He had a '00 Kawasaki 1200 Ninja, I had(and still have) my ZRX. I suggested we meet halfway, say Bloomington at the 160 mile marker and ride in the area there. He say, "Are you nuts? I can't ride my Ninja 160 miles, I'll be a crippled pretzel!" I then asked why would you have a bike you couldnt ride that distance? He says.."Because it's so cool!"
Comfort is king, my friend.
Interestingly my bike before the hiatus from riding was a ZRX1200R. Adored the looks, loved the power, but my wife hated riding on it and it was great for around down and canyons but after a while I just recall feeling like I'd need to take frequent breaks to shake it off. Don't remember too many specifics, but just the general feeling I got.

Definitely being swayed towards a Vstrom as the next bike...
FarmTruck is offline  
post #10 of 19 Old 07-10-2018, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Posts: 1,668
To me, the ZRX series was one of the all time greats. The looks knock me out, the engine is seamless and PLENTY STRONG, 6-piston ft calipers, it's all there except for fuel injection.
But mine now sits forlorn in the garage as I head out on the Vstrom. The steering, handling, braking, COMFORT, and all the benefits time and technology offer make the Vstrom my 1st and usual choice. It's that good.
FarmTruck likes this.
MAZ4ME is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome