Lotsa of questions
This is my first post to this list, and hopefully enough people monitor this thread that I can get the answers I need.
I was told this is THE place to get info about V-Stroms (for me, I'm considering a Wee-Strom) so I'll post some questions and see what answers I get.
First, some background.
I've been riding for more than 30 years, starting with a Kawasaki XS Special II, on to a Yamaha Virago, two BMW K100RTS, two 1981 Silver Wings (550) and a Kawasaki Concours. (I ride my bikes until they wear out.)
I'm a year-round rider, living in southeastern NM, and only drive my truck in snow or extremely high winds. (Or when I have to carry 4x8 sheets of plywood or furniture. I haven't figured out how to do that yet. <g>)
Because of the year-round use, I prefer something pretty much fully faired (like the Connie or Wing) so I can stay warm. I don't mind summer heat.
Because I use the bike for work, I need enough room in the saddle bags to carry (at a minimum) my laptop, camera, and extra clothes/gloves/etc. for times like now when I starts out at 75 degrees but get down to 35 at night.
I'd also really like a rack (to carry other stuff) and a sissy bar, because I have a T-bag I use for traveling.
I do travel, with my sleeping bag, tent, air mattress, etc. strapped to the back, and the T-bag on the sissy bar on the passenger seat. I'd like to continue with something like that.
Now, as to what I DON'T want.
I'm getting old, and I'm having an increasingly tough time keeping from dropping the Connie, so I need something lighter w/a lower center of gravity. I am tall (5-10 w/long legs) so taller bikes don't bother me but I don't want heavy.
I don't necessarily need a *fairing* (I don't need the fancy instruments or clock or even the small compartments) but I do need weather protection. And yes, I've also looked at "Hippo Hands" type hand protectors, but that doesn't solve the problem of keeping my legs warm, even when wearing lined riding pants, in 32 degree temps. (I HATE cold.)
People have been suggesting the Wee-Strom for a long time, and I'm considering it, but I have some problems with the lack of weather protection.
So, some questions.
1. I see some used ones for sale on this list, and, with all the farkles, the prices seem OK. But if I want a new one, what's a good price to look for? (The dealer in Roswell, NM, is VERY expensive and won't bargain, so I'm willing to look around.)
2. What all comes stock? I need saddlebags, a sissy bar and rack, and if I need to buy those extra, need to figure that into what I can afford.
3. I've seen a link to Laminar Lip for a better windshield (a MUST if I buy this bike), but I'm wondering what other suggestions there are. I don't need too tall (I prefer to look over the windshield, and I'm 5-10) but I want side and lower protection, if at all possible.
4. I was just told this is a chain bike. I haven't ridden a chain bike in 25 years. I'm NOT a mechanic (I have a great one just down the street) so how much work is a chain? If I put a ScotOiler (or something similar) on, will that mean less maintenance? And how much more will this cost me?
5. Does it come with a center stand, and if so, how hard is it to get up? I've NEVER been able to get a bike on the c-stand by myself.
6. What is the tank range? I'm spoiled, because my Connie has a 7.2 gallon gas tank that gets me 300+ miles on a tank. Anything less than 200 is pretty much a deal breaker.
7. Anyone near Roswell, NM, know where I could get a test ride? I've never ridden one of these, and I won't buy a bike without riding it first. (It's a no at the local dealer.)
Thanks for listening to a LONG first question, and any answers you can give me will help me make a decision.
Oh, and if you can't tell from my login, I'm a female rider.