Deal too good to be true? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
V-Curious A place for those that are thinking about buying a V-Strom to ask V-Strom owners questions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old 03-25-2009, 02:35 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: California
Posts: 12
Deal too good to be true?

Howdy all,
I'm currently riding a BMW 650gs and I've got the Wee bug bad

A local dealer has the 650 (no ABS) for what seems like a remarkable price
of $6199. It is a brand new 2009 model. I called today to ask the sales guy
I was previously talking with why so cheap. He was saying that they've got
almost 150 sport bikes coming in over the next few weeks and they are trying
to clear out the inventory to make room. While it is riding season year round
here in southern Ca, he said that spring is still their busiest season for sport
bike sales. Sounds reasonable, but I'm still skeptical...

Any thoughts?

Thanks



p.s., what a great site! I've been searching the posts for hours now.
scooter32 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 30 Old 03-25-2009, 02:45 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Pacific Northwet
Posts: 651
If he brought it in before january or so then it is under the old pricing which was $7000 IIRC, therefore your deal is a good one but not "too good to be true"

DL1000K8

So what is it, am I a smart*** or a dumb***? Maybe I'm just an ***hole.
10guy is offline  
post #3 of 30 Old 03-25-2009, 02:47 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: California
Posts: 12
Excellent info, thanks 10guy.
scooter32 is offline  
 
post #4 of 30 Old 03-25-2009, 04:06 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
TravellingStrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Land Down Under
Posts: 870
Send a message via Skype™ to TravellingStrom
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter32 View Post
Howdy all,
I'm currently riding a BMW 650gs and I've got the Wee bug bad

A local dealer has the 650 (no ABS) for what seems like a remarkable price
of $6199. It is a brand new 2009 model. I called today to ask the sales guy
I was previously talking with why so cheap. He was saying that they've got
almost 150 sport bikes coming in over the next few weeks and they are trying
to clear out the inventory to make room. While it is riding season year round
here in southern Ca, he said that spring is still their busiest season for sport
bike sales. Sounds reasonable, but I'm still skeptical...

Any thoughts?

Thanks



p.s., what a great site! I've been searching the posts for hours now.
How many has he got and where is it? I am in the market as well, please tell me he has 2

Cheers
TS

www.TravellingStrom.com
TravellingStrom is offline  
post #5 of 30 Old 03-25-2009, 10:35 AM
$tromtrooper
 
AppGap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Vermont
Posts: 997
Did you happen to ask what other charges will be applied before delivery? Sometimes it can be quite shocking what kind of surprises dealers try to spring at delivery. If none......good buy. Sure you don't want ABS though?

04 Wee with all kinds of excess crap..
AppGap is offline  
post #6 of 30 Old 03-25-2009, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: California
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellingStrom View Post
How many has he got and where is it? I am in the market as well, please tell me he has 2

Cheers
TS
Now that wouldn't be very sporting of me, letting you get my bike before me
scooter32 is offline  
post #7 of 30 Old 03-25-2009, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: California
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppGap View Post
Did you happen to ask what other charges will be applied before delivery? Sometimes it can be quite shocking what kind of surprises dealers try to spring at delivery. If none......good buy. Sure you don't want ABS though?

We didn't even get that far yet. I was trying to do a simple test drive and
apparently there are crazy rules here in CA where you need to buy the bike
first then they give you 5-10 miles of test drive and you can return it after
that if you don't like it.

Before I get into the details financial with them I wanted to actually test drive
it. I'm trying to find someone at work who has one.

They did have another one right next to it. It was just a different color and had ABS.
It was more in line with MSRP though. So it might be the case where this is a newer
model I suppose.

As for do I want ABS or not? Not really sold one way or the other. The BMW is
the first bike I've owned with ABS (I've been riding since I was 9 years old,
good grief, that's like 28 years!). And it doesn't rain much here in San Diego,
and if it does I usually don't ride.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Scott
scooter32 is offline  
post #8 of 30 Old 03-25-2009, 04:15 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
TravellingStrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Land Down Under
Posts: 870
Send a message via Skype™ to TravellingStrom
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter32 View Post
Now that wouldn't be very sporting of me, letting you get my bike before me
Of course I understand, that was why I asked if he had two, I would not want to deprive you of one

Anyway, I arrive in LA next Monday afternoon and have a few bikes to look at in California, but would like the opportunity for a new one if it is available.

Cheers
TS

www.TravellingStrom.com
TravellingStrom is offline  
post #9 of 30 Old 03-25-2009, 04:32 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Xavier6162's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Corona Caifornia
Posts: 1,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter32 View Post
Howdy all,
I'm currently riding a BMW 650gs and I've got the Wee bug bad

A local dealer has the 650 (no ABS) for what seems like a remarkable price
of $6199. It is a brand new 2009 model. I called today to ask the sales guy
I was previously talking with why so cheap. He was saying that they've got
almost 150 sport bikes coming in over the next few weeks and they are trying
to clear out the inventory to make room. While it is riding season year round
here in southern Ca, he said that spring is still their busiest season for sport
bike sales. Sounds reasonable, but I'm still skeptical...

Any thoughts?

Thanks



p.s., what a great site! I've been searching the posts for hours now.
What is the name of the Dealer. I'll tell you if it's good. Some will low ball the number then tack on BS. So what's the bottom line? 2008 non ABS and a few (early models before the price increase) were going for $6199 out the door for some of the dealers. That included all taxes, licenses and other tacked on BS ($6199).

Walk in with $6199. Walk out with a bike, pink slip, taxes paid, req paid for the year. Done deal.

I often lose control. I really I hate my life.
Xavier6162 is offline  
post #10 of 30 Old 03-27-2009, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: California
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier6162 View Post
What is the name of the Dealer. I'll tell you if it's good. Some will low ball the number then tack on BS. So what's the bottom line? 2008 non ABS and a few (early models before the price increase) were going for $6199 out the door for some of the dealers. That included all taxes, licenses and other tacked on BS ($6199).

Walk in with $6199. Walk out with a bike, pink slip, taxes paid, req paid for the year. Done deal.
North County House of Motorcycles. They have the one I'm interested in at $6199.
I've also been to Escondido Cycle Center. They have the same color that I'm interested
in at the standard 2009 MSRP.
scooter32 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome