Buy and Ride: Out of State - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
V-Curious A place for those that are thinking about buying a V-Strom to ask V-Strom owners questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 05-20-2015, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Junior Trooper
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Hershey, PA and Dubai, UAE
Posts: 1
Buy and Ride: Out of State

Hey All,

Sorry if this has been asked before. I tried a Google search on the forums and couldn't find anything. I'm thinking about buying a vstrom from someone here on these forums. I'm a PA resident and he's in FL. I would prefer to buy and ride back to PA. Does anyone have experience with doing this properly with insurance, etc.? Almost all the info I can find online deals with buying out of state and shipping it back home.

sojourningmendicant is offline  
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 8 Old 05-20-2015, 08:51 PM
Junior Trooper
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2
I bought a vstrom last summer for my son in Baltimore and we live in Ohio. I called the Ohio BMV and they said there was NO WAY I could ride it home legally. The PO still had the bike plated in the state of Washington and he told me that I had 20 days to ride it on his plate before I had to transfer the title. I called my insurance guy and had him put coverage on the bike and my son and I rode my vstrom 2 up bought the used strom, he jumped on it and rode it back to Ohio with the Washington plate. Not sure how legal it was but we stayed close to the speed limit and I hoped that having insurance on it would take care of any other problems.

I bought a truck in PA one time and it was real easy. The Seller and I went to corner store with the DMV in it and I got a plate to drive home with. Good thing since I got pulled over in PA due to the truck smoking so bad. I told the Trooper I was headed to Ohio, he laughed said good luck on we went.
alansz400 is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 05-20-2015, 10:23 PM
Dry Heat?
Outbackwack's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: SE Phoenix
Posts: 1,229
I bought mine in TX and rode it to AZ (3 days). I called and added the bike to my insurance and he gave me a sales receipt and I rode it with his plates on it (still riding with his plates too!). You could just use his plates and say you borrowed it from him until you get back home :-) That's perfectly legal and if anything happened your insurance would cover it. I have Progressive and they had no problem with it and I'd be covered if anything happened. In AZ the owner was able to print a 3 day temporary plate to use, so check with your state. Or... just don't get pulled over!

I would have no problem doing that for a 1500 mile ride and am looking for another Vstrom to do it again right now.

Get busy living, or get busy dying...  sm.jpg
Outbackwack is offline  
post #4 of 8 Old 05-21-2015, 10:58 AM
mcdstrom's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 695
I bought my bike near San Diego, CA and rode it home to Portland. No problems. Like others, I called my insurance agent to to be sure I had coverage for the trip home. Of course, I rode in my usual law abiding way to avoid being pulled over. Also no problems registering the bike and transferring the title once I got here.

2009 DL650A Grey
2004 DL650 Blue - sold
Long ago TC-90
mcdstrom is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 05-23-2015, 11:48 PM
Iffykid's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Mn
Posts: 71
Don't know if things have changed in Fl in the last 20yrs.
About 20yrs ago I purchased a used car in Fl and needed to get Fl insurance in order to get temporary plates to get the car out of state per Fl DMV and back home.
Crazy expensive temp insurance.
I was considering a fly and ride to Jax Fl inorder to purchase a 2012 wee but before doing so I would have checked into the license insurance issues due to past experience.

I did purchase my Goldwing via fly and ride in Il last summer, After making the purchase the person I purchased the bike from informed me that Il requires the plate be returned to the state at the sale of veh. So it was either fly back home $$$ empty handed or ride the bike home with no license plate but a bill of sale and title so I called my insurance agent with the vin and other required info and headed home with no license plate and hoping not to get stopped, Made it home after being eye balled by several different agencies but was never stopped:lucky::angel_26: even though I had no plate displayed thru several different states.

Last edited by Iffykid; 05-24-2015 at 12:14 AM.
Iffykid is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 05-24-2015, 11:00 AM
enumclaw's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Washington State
Posts: 1,802
Last fall I rode a friends C14 back from NH to WA for him. He had made the purchase ahead of time, insured it, and had a temporary WA plate for it. No big deal, I even went up into Canada for part of the return trip. Just have your bases covered if you happen to be interviewed by a LEO. :mrgreen:


Ride every day, it's good for you.
07 650A | KLR250(x2) | KLR650 | DRZ400 | FJR
enumclaw is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 05-24-2015, 05:50 PM
RCinNC's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,688
Because the laws on registration and insurance vary widely from state to state, it's a good idea to check the DMV website for whatever state you are buying a bike from and see what their requirements are in order to buy the bike and leave the state with it. For example, some states allow you to just sign the back of a title in order to transfer ownership, some require that you go to a notary tag service to transfer the title (like PA does), some states need the signatures notarized, etc.

If you can't get the info you need from the FL DMV site, call any Florida Highway Patrol station and ask them what you need to do.

It's probably best to call your current insurance carrier, explain to him what you're planning to do, and ask him what you need to do to be covered. He's the expert.

"No matter where you go, there you are."
RCinNC is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 05-24-2015, 08:37 PM
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: North East PA
Posts: 293
I have bought two bikes in NY state and rode them back to PA. I convinced the sellers to let me use their license plates so I would not get stopped for that reason, and then mailed the plates back after I was home. Called my insurance agent before riding- i am automatically covered anyway but just made sure anyway.
At the notary here there was no problem with a hand written bill of sale and the signed NY title.
Don't know about Fl but should be easy to look up.

[COLOR="Red"][SIZE="4"]DL650K8 Yellow[/SIZE][/COLOR]
eegah is offline  
Sponsored Links

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome