DL650 Hunting - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
V-Curious A place for those that are thinking about buying a V-Strom to ask V-Strom owners questions

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 01-11-2015, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Idaho
Posts: 5
DL650 Hunting

I should have listened to the advice in another forum about owning more than one bike, but after buying and serlling 4 bikes in 18months, I guess I need more than one. After talking with lots of V Strom riders on the road I've decided to buy one. Nothing against my DRZ, but I want something considerably more road worthy.

An interesting note to pass on to all of you Strom owners; it was hard to find a V Strom rider with something bad to say about their bike. That sold me. I'm on the hunt for one of my own.
freeway crash is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 Old 01-11-2015, 05:22 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
vinnyvavoom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: CT
Posts: 603
Garage
I think I am with you. The only bike that may sway me is the tiger 800, I need to test ride ride them both (and the dl1000 - YOLO) before I decide.

_______________________________________________________________________________
There are 10 types of people, those who know binary and those who don't.

What I ride now:
2013 Honda GoldWing (The Lady)
2014 V-strom 650 (The Mistress)
Previously: 07 Ultra Classic, 95 Softail, 80 gs450l
vinnyvavoom is offline  
post #3 of 7 Old 01-11-2015, 10:50 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 125
i own an 07 dl650 and 05 drz 400. both are reliable great fun bikes to own. sometimes i want faster better handling but not so much on long hauls!.. when im done with long distance ill look for something else.
ukele6 is offline  
 
post #4 of 7 Old 01-12-2015, 06:41 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Gold Coast, Australia
Posts: 3,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnyvavoom View Post
I think I am with you. The only bike that may sway me is the tiger 800, I need to test ride ride them both (and the dl1000 - YOLO) before I decide.
If it helps, I chased down an 800R last weekend and once I was past him I was gone, and it wasn't a small speed differential, I was expecting him to torment me until the next straight (his turn to annoy me ) but a couple of corners later no Tiger in my mirrors. On paper they should faster. In practice my experience suggests that if they are it's on straight roads only.

The XC is better off road, I've ridden with one, the 21" front ensures that, but was even slower on seal than the R. So if you are expecting the Tiger to be a better performing bike than the DL 650 there's not much if anything in it. (Surprised me as well).

Pete
PeteW is offline  
post #5 of 7 Old 01-12-2015, 09:20 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
vinnyvavoom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: CT
Posts: 603
Garage
Pete, not to hijack the thread... but I am not looking for speed, just power. I am presently 260lbs and riding a goldwing. I expect that the wee will be fine almost always, it is just the big hills I question. Need power to push me up without question.

_______________________________________________________________________________
There are 10 types of people, those who know binary and those who don't.

What I ride now:
2013 Honda GoldWing (The Lady)
2014 V-strom 650 (The Mistress)
Previously: 07 Ultra Classic, 95 Softail, 80 gs450l
vinnyvavoom is offline  
post #6 of 7 Old 01-13-2015, 06:35 PM
$tromtrooper
 
sbeadg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: western Mass.
Posts: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteW View Post
If it helps, I chased down an 800R last weekend and once I was past him I was gone, and it wasn't a small speed differential, I was expecting him to torment me until the next straight (his turn to annoy me ) but a couple of corners later no Tiger in my mirrors. On paper they should faster. In practice my experience suggests that if they are it's on straight roads only.

The XC is better off road, I've ridden with one, the 21" front ensures that, but was even slower on seal than the R. So if you are expecting the Tiger to be a better performing bike than the DL 650 there's not much if anything in it. (Surprised me as well).

Pete
I wouldn't conclude anything from that. He may have been a less experienced rider, wasn't baited by you, or both.

On paper, the Tiger 800 is quicker 0-60 by over a second. I've been lurking over on ADV to get opinions from Wee-to-Tiger converts. Naturally, you expect those guys to sing the praises of their new bikes, so unless you are are looking to make the change (I'm giving the new "XR" some thought, down the road a year or 2...) don't even read the Tiger thread. Trust me, you'll read comments like "chalk and cheese" and very quickly get jealous.
I love my Wee, but I've also sunk a bunch of money into upgrades and its still down about 28 hp on the Tiger. It's undergone a "refinement" this year including a claimed 17% efficiency gain, something to make us "sons of practicality" sit up. It isn't in dealers yet. I'm anxious to get confirmation of that on the ADV forum when they're here and on the road. I won't pay a mileage penalty to leave the Wee, and if the claim is true, there wouldn't be one. (Sorry to diverge.)
Just saying'...


'15 Tiger800 XRx
'99 Triumph Thunderbird Sport
'89 Honda NX250

"Why don't I have tattoos? For the same reason you don't put a bumper sticker on a Ferrari."
sbeadg is offline  
post #7 of 7 Old 01-13-2015, 09:40 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
T-ville Trooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: SLC utah
Posts: 1,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeway crash View Post
I should have listened to the advice in another forum about owning more than one bike, but after buying and serlling 4 bikes in 18months, I guess I need more than one. After talking with lots of V Strom riders on the road I've decided to buy one. Nothing against my DRZ, but I want something considerably more road worthy.

An interesting note to pass on to all of you Strom owners; it was hard to find a V Strom rider with something bad to say about their bike. That sold me. I'm on the hunt for one of my own.
I know of one coming up for sale with low miles. It is owned By a lady rider.
It is a little to big for her and she laid it down once. We helped put some parts back on it. Still runs great. If you would like I'll look in to it. 07 I think don't hold me to that.
There are a few on KSL.com

T-ville
T-ville Trooper is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome