Thinkin of buying a V650 or 1000 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
V-Curious A place for those that are thinking about buying a V-Strom to ask V-Strom owners questions

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 12-30-2014, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Midwest
Posts: 5
Garage
Thinkin of buying a V650 or 1000

My wife and I just got back into riding after 20+ years. We bought a DL650 to start out on and are now looking for a 2nd bike because neither one of us want to be a passenger. We were looking for a DL650 with ABS but now I am considering a 2006 1000 with less than 20K miles. Does anyone have an opinion on the value of ABS? Also, is an 8 year old 1000 still a reliable investment?
mmc2709 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 12-30-2014, 11:51 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Bremerton, Washington
Posts: 1,379
You will love the DL 1000, with or without ABS. There are a few threads about ABS and I think the verdict is that it's safer than not having it. On the other hand, I've had one panic stop on my 06 DL 1000 in 40,000 miles and could easily have avoided even that if I'd been more patient but ABS would have been handy for that three seconds of my life. DLs run and run. You can't wear an engine out by riding it in one lifetime. You do have a few expendables. Chains and sprockets, roughly every 20,000 miles, sometimes more. Lube the swingarm pivot bushings every every once in a blue moon, replace spark plugs every 40,000 miles as preventive maintenance and like that. They really don't break much and handle neglect very well too. At 20,000 miles, you don't even need the valves adjusted for another few years. Stators seem to be the most frequent electrical problem. Most bikes never have a failure but a few do. When on the forum, remember that there are thousands of people on there and the problems you read about are the only thing they have to talk about. There is also a thread about the 350,000 mile Strom that is still going strong. Just buy it and enjoy it. Bobby
bobbyvstrom is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old 12-30-2014, 02:36 PM
$tromtrooper
 
Big B's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Central OHIO "Go Buckeyes"
Posts: 16,372
Garage
I would opt for the totally new re-designed 2014 1000, you will thank me later I am sure. I love my 2006 1000, but the difference now is apples to oranges IMHO. And no motorcycle is an investment, they are nothing but money pits. :biggrinjester:

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”




Big B is offline  
 
post #4 of 9 Old 12-30-2014, 02:46 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Southwest Virginia - West of I-77
Posts: 1,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyvstrom View Post
You will love the DL 1000, with or without ABS. There are a few threads about ABS and I think the verdict is that it's safer than not having it. On the other hand, I've had one panic stop on my 06 DL 1000 in 40,000 miles and could easily have avoided even that if I'd been more patient but ABS would have been handy for that three seconds of my life. DLs run and run. You can't wear an engine out by riding it in one lifetime. You do have a few expendables. Chains and sprockets, roughly every 20,000 miles, sometimes more. Lube the swingarm pivot bushings every every once in a blue moon, replace spark plugs every 40,000 miles as preventive maintenance and like that. They really don't break much and handle neglect very well too. At 20,000 miles, you don't even need the valves adjusted for another few years. Stators seem to be the most frequent electrical problem. Most bikes never have a failure but a few do. When on the forum, remember that there are thousands of people on there and the problems you read about are the only thing they have to talk about. There is also a thread about the 350,000 mile Strom that is still going strong. Just buy it and enjoy it. Bobby
A darned good assessment IMHO.

2007 Wee. Blue. Bought at 5K miles. Sold at 32K+ miles. Gone but not forgotten.

2012 Wee2 Adventure. Black. Bought at 26K miles. Now 44K+. Love it!
HokiesRWee is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old 12-30-2014, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Midwest
Posts: 5
Garage
Thanks for your comments. I just don't want to be forced to look for a replacement for the '06 DL1000 in a year or 2.
mmc2709 is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old 12-30-2014, 05:19 PM
$tromtrooper
 
Big B's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Central OHIO "Go Buckeyes"
Posts: 16,372
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmc2709 View Post
Thanks for your comments. I just don't want to be forced to look for a replacement for the '06 DL1000 in a year or 2.
Not sure about "forced" but you will likely be tempted. :mrgreen: I have this thing about buying a bike every 4 years, and it drives my Wife batty. LOL

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”




Big B is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old 12-30-2014, 06:57 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
sapperranger04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: MIDWEST CITY, OK
Posts: 198
Garage
I had an 05 650 and loved it. It did a lot of things good. The only issue I had was I wanted more power. So I sold my 650 and bought a cruiser. That lasted all about a year and I was ready to be back on the strom. I found a good deal on a 07 1000 with 42k miles, and couldn't be happier. Its all that I wanted in a bike. it may seem like a high mileage, but for a bike like this, its just being broke in. Anyway, id get the 1000.

--- SAPPERS FORWARD ---
K7 VEE / ?
K5 WEE / SGT. Strom
K6 KLR650 / Ol Thumpy
K6 KLX110
81 KLE100
sapperranger04 is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old 12-31-2014, 04:37 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mississauga, ON
Posts: 2,618
Just go for another 650! Ps. I used to have 2x1000 before I went to 650. Now on my 4th 650...
Rick123 is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 12-31-2014, 09:58 AM
$tromtrooper
 
Big B's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Central OHIO "Go Buckeyes"
Posts: 16,372
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick123 View Post
Just go for another 650! Ps. I used to have 2x1000 before I went to 650. Now on my 4th 650...
But have you ridden the new 1000?

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”




Big B is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome