Well, the dealer prepped a 2014 and I was able to take it out for about 15 miles today. I'm currently riding a 2008 ST1300A.
I'm 5'7", 30" inseam and weigh 145#. I was full ATGATT and it was sunny and 55°. Here are my observations:
1. Nice sound. Idle was set at 1200... what's normal?
2. Nice riding position; firm seat; shifter inset a bit more than I'm used to
3. Nice torque and decent acceleration
4. Nowhere near the power of the ST1300 (½ actually...duh)
5. Tons of wind/noise with shield in mid position. My ST1300 is a cockpit.
6. Harsh/stiff ride but well behaved
7. A bit buzzy and I kept it under about 5K
8. Felt very planted and handling felt very good (2 miles on tires). Better behavior than my ST1300 really.
9. I came to a stop in 3rd gear and 1 click of the gear shift only went to 2nd and stopped (blank display). I had to let the clutch out (it clunked into 2nd gear) and then had to repeat again to get to 1st. So, I couldn't just downshift at a stop from 3rd to 1st without pulling the clutch lever in/out a couple times. Very odd and annoying and I was able to duplicate it every time, so it will always do that. I've never had a bike do that before.
10. MUCH lighter than the ST1300; easier to move around (still tiptoe a bit)
11. Gonna require $1500 in "upgrades"
12. Price is $8200 OTD including all tax ($500)/title/prep, etc.
So, although it was a nice ride overall, is this a bike I can go into some debt for and happily ride 10's of thousands of miles on? I'm not sure yet. Properly farkled I'm sure the ride would be improved, but do I want to go there? My ST1300 owes me nothing; it's just gotten to be a big bike that I don't see the need for. I did sit on the Tiger and that felt very nice! (The adventure was way too tall, as is the Tenere) and more $$$ than I'm willing to spend.
So, I'm not sure whether I'll bite the bullet or not. The dealer is going to try and get a DL1000 for me to try as well. That's where I'm at right now...