Ready for another bike, which one from this list? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
V-Curious A place for those that are thinking about buying a V-Strom to ask V-Strom owners questions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 11-06-2013, 02:37 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: fort knox, ky
Posts: 12
Ready for another bike, which one from this list?

Triumph Sprint ST
Triumph Tiger 1050
Ducati Multistrada
Moto Guzzi Norge
Aprilia Caponord
Suzuki V-Strom 650

About me:
16 years motorcycle experience, 8 on road
Plan for this bike in addition to Speed Triple
Looking for more 2up comfort and long-ride-ability
Me: 5'9" 165lbs, Pillion: 5'8" 130lbs
Interested in making this a light touring comfort machine

My pillion loves my Speed Triple as do I, but I know a different bike would be more comfortable. I will buy this bike used and likely between years 2005-2009 and looking to spend <$8k with the less spent the better as long as it is a quality bike. I am looking for comfort for a days ride and fuel efficiency as a majority of the weekday riding will be commuting. Ease to farkle is a plus I am interested in farkles such as: aftermarket seat driver backrest would be nice if it's an upright bike, heated grips, frame sliders, super windshield, 12v outlet preferably 2, and very importantly luggage both side and top. Certainly this would not all come on the bike but as long as the option is there I am happy. If you couldn't tell by my list I love the Euro bikes. I've heard so many good things about the V-Strom that I am also considering it. Another thing is I would like the bike to not feel too similar to my Speedy. And finally, if I love the bike I would not be opposed to getting rid of the Speedy so maybe something not just like the Speedy, but similar enough. Contradictory, I know. Thanks! PS I am not interested in off-road riding at all.
dave633 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 Old 11-06-2013, 04:15 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: south africa
Posts: 18
Smile za solo

hi . I use to think "not intrested in ofroad" but there comes n time on some trip where the paved road end.and u want to on and not turn back. I'm on a gsxr1127 slingshot "streetfighter" can't do gravel thats y i'm adding a dl1000 to my stable.
za solo is offline  
post #3 of 21 Old 11-06-2013, 04:50 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
fortp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Qc, Canada
Posts: 833
Since you are on a Vstrom forum you must expect most of us recommending you the Vstrom. With wich I would agree. Especially if you want to pay less than 8000$.
fortp is offline  
 
post #4 of 21 Old 11-06-2013, 06:45 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Close to you
Posts: 639
Looking at your list I thought I should add my 2 cents. I would put V Strom, Tiger 800, BMW F800GS / ST. These are light and very good on fuel, especially the F800ST (@65mpg). Probably stay away from litre+ bikes if you're looking for lightweight.
dogdaze is offline  
post #5 of 21 Old 11-06-2013, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator
 
Big B's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Central OHIO "Go Buckeyes"
Posts: 16,603
Garage
Kentucky is the perfect state for a V-Strom.....PERFECT I tell ya!!!!

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”




Big B is offline  
post #6 of 21 Old 11-06-2013, 12:07 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: oregon
Posts: 2,182
I have a 1050 Tiger and a 650 Strom. You own a Triumph so you know some about them. This is what i see as the differences you might want to be aware of.
1050 pros
Power, about 111hp compares to mid 60s for Strom
Brakes, 1050 has much better brakes. Strom is adequate, no better.
Suspension, 1050 is better although not what it could be. You have more to work with at least.
A bit more comfortable riding position for me, but I'm at 6'.
It comes in at 509 lbs wet if memory serves, reasonable weight.
It has that beautiful, screaming three cylinder motor.

1050 cons
fuel mileage, I see around low 40s out of mine on trips. Strom will get in the 50s and ends up having more range.
Whoever designed the upswept tail should be hung. Makes the bike hard to mount, not sure what it would be like for a passenger.
Bags are goofy, espeically the right with its big cut out for the muffler. They are however, better made than the Suzuki bags I got with my 2011 which are flimsy and cheaply done.
The 1050 headlight is apalling, borderline dangerous really. Plan on HID kit, adding led driving lights or something similar.
You'll want to do something about the seat, but I think that about almost all bikes.
The gearbox is a bit notchy.

Of the two I would rather have the 1050 for what you are doing. I think you would miss the power, especially two up. Also the brakes and suspension simply aren't as good on the Strom.
If its important, and for touring it would be to me, both bikes have marginal electrical output for accessories like heated gear. For just the rider probably fine, for two, I would wonder.
For what you are doing I personally would broaden my search to a used, clean FJR1300 or 2008 and newer Concours. I have the Connie and I think it fits in more with what you are planning to do, although 'light' is not part of their deal.

Joe S.
'14 HD FLHR
'12 Concours
'11 DL650
'01 HD FXD
'09 HD XR1200
'79 BMW R100
Joe S. is offline  
post #7 of 21 Old 11-06-2013, 01:10 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Baltic, Ct
Posts: 6,637
Be the first on the block with

A 2014 DL1000 New Veek should sell for about $12K
richw is offline  
post #8 of 21 Old 11-06-2013, 01:39 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Scott E. Bonds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Elk Creek, Kentucky
Posts: 2,361
I live about 1 hour away (south of Shelbyville, Ky). I have a 1000 (Vee) but its close enough to the 650 to make a test ride. If you are interested PM me. I of course will be following you on your bike.

I ride year round.

________________________________
2007 Blue SuperVee 1000
2013 Grey Super Te'ne're' 1200
2002 White HD Road King Police (divorced)
2000 Red Honda XR 400r
2003 Green Honda Rincon 650 ATV

If it is not broken, it can still be fixed
Scott E. Bonds is offline  
post #9 of 21 Old 11-06-2013, 05:57 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
middleage crazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Northwest Indiana
Posts: 521
Garage
I have to agree with dogdaze about the BMW F800st. I have a 2007 and it's a pretty good sport tourer but it is a BMW-$$$$$$. You have mentioned a Triumph Sprint ST. I'd beware of the ones where the exhausts are under the seat. A friend of mine had one and his biggest complaints were the seat gets too hot when riding long distance and claimed the bike handled like a pig when we rode Dragons Tail.
middleage crazy is offline  
post #10 of 21 Old 11-06-2013, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: fort knox, ky
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortp View Post
Since you are on a Vstrom forum you must expect most of us recommending you the Vstrom. With wich I would agree. Especially if you want to pay less than 8000$.
Money is an issue and despite my lack of interest in Japanese bikes, the Strom really speaks to me. More than pretty much any other bike minus the Tiger 800 or F650/800 if each of the three bikes are luggaged up. I see I can easily get a used Strom for half my budget. Insane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdaze View Post
Looking at your list I thought I should add my 2 cents. I would put V Strom, Tiger 800, BMW F800GS / ST. These are light and very good on fuel, especially the F800ST (@65mpg). Probably stay away from litre+ bikes if you're looking for lightweight.
Holy cow, 65mpg? I think the F800ST just moved to the top of my list. It's not all about MPG but this bike will be largely a commuter. I've heard that BMWs are not all that reliable and often cost a pretty penny when they do go in for repairs. Is that true? WDo you have any opinion on the F650? Do they make that in ST?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B View Post
Kentucky is the perfect state for a V-Strom.....PERFECT I tell ya!!!!
Finally a good use for Kentucky. When I got orders to be stationed here I was mad like "What is there even to do on Kentucky?" I have yet to find good riding but I do appreciate the close proximity of Louisville.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe S. View Post
I have a 1050 Tiger and a 650 Strom. You own a Triumph so you know some about them. This is what i see as the differences you might want to be aware of.
1050 pros
Power, about 111hp compares to mid 60s for Strom
Brakes, 1050 has much better brakes. Strom is adequate, no better.
Suspension, 1050 is better although not what it could be. You have more to work with at least.
A bit more comfortable riding position for me, but I'm at 6'.
It comes in at 509 lbs wet if memory serves, reasonable weight.
It has that beautiful, screaming three cylinder motor.

1050 cons
fuel mileage, I see around low 40s out of mine on trips. Strom will get in the 50s and ends up having more range.
Whoever designed the upswept tail should be hung. Makes the bike hard to mount, not sure what it would be like for a passenger.
Bags are goofy, espeically the right with its big cut out for the muffler. They are however, better made than the Suzuki bags I got with my 2011 which are flimsy and cheaply done.
The 1050 headlight is apalling, borderline dangerous really. Plan on HID kit, adding led driving lights or something similar.
You'll want to do something about the seat, but I think that about almost all bikes.
The gearbox is a bit notchy.

Of the two I would rather have the 1050 for what you are doing. I think you would miss the power, especially two up. Also the brakes and suspension simply aren't as good on the Strom.
If its important, and for touring it would be to me, both bikes have marginal electrical output for accessories like heated gear. For just the rider probably fine, for two, I would wonder.
For what you are doing I personally would broaden my search to a used, clean FJR1300 or 2008 and newer Concours. I have the Connie and I think it fits in more with what you are planning to do, although 'light' is not part of their deal.
Thanks for the detailed analysis on the 1050. How would you say the suspension is better? Does it make for an all around smoother ride or something? I just cant imagine what a "better" suspension would feel like besides "smoother". For me the power of the bike is something I am willing to sacrifice, but don't get me wrong it would still be nice to have. I am getting this bike with the idea in my head it's for commuting and touring, not necessarily ripping it up fun. I'll keep the Speed Triple for that. I take what you say about me enjoying the 1050 better due to the power, but regarding 2up I really am concerned. I've asked on here before and people seem to agree the 650 is fine 2up up to about 70-80mph on the highway. I don't plan on highway riding that is so boring to me and dangerous. Then again, for all I know I may end up with a Vee instead of a Wee. You recommend the FJR and Concourse, but what about the Sprint ST? The FJR and Concourse seem much, much more touring and luxury oriented. Honda makes one too maybe I should look into. Does Suzuki? My first sport bike was a Katana.

Thank you everyone
dave633 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome