StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've tried searching for this, but can anyone give me a quick and dirty zumo vs quest 2 review. I'm leaning towards quest2 for cost, but is the zumo really worth the price difference?

·
Off Wee-ing in the woods
676 Posts
I was between the two before I bought my Zumo. The SiRFIII chipset did it for me. The other features are nice, but the almost instant acquisition is really nice, it's uber sensitive as well.

you can spend $350 on old tech or $600ish on current tech. In general I don't like spending half the cost of what I really want just to save money. I usually end up getting what I really wanted not too far down the road at 150% of the price since I tried the cheap route first.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I've owned and used the Quest 2. It did the job, but I wouldn't recommend it. It's really, really slow. If you plan to use the autorouting features, the Quest 2 requires many seconds, and sometimes minutes to calculate a route.

It's an otherwise fantastic GPS. I really liked mine... but waiting for the unit to calculate drove me batty. I sold it and got a 2610. I even came out ahead on the deal.

Jamie

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I've tried searching for this, but can anyone give me a quick and dirty zumo vs quest 2 review. I'm leaning towards quest2 for cost, but is the zumo really worth the price difference?
Forget about the Quest 2 unless you get one for free. It's brutally slow. I gave mine away.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What would be a better alternative to the Zumo than a quest? I still would like garmin for the mad maps, but it looks like I may just have to suck it up and get the zumo.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
What would be a better alternative to the Zumo than a quest? I still would like garmin for the mad maps, but it looks like I may just have to suck it up and get the zumo.
If it's going on the bike, you can't do better than Zumo. The only thing on my wish list for it is nexrad weather radar.

You can still find 2610's and similar for shorter money, but they don't have the simplified menus.

·
Crazy Old Guy
1,039 Posts
I've got both and the Quest is not in the same league as the zumo. Like tmcgee said, I would probably look for a refurb 2610 if money was short.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have a Quest 1. It is quite faster than the Quest 2...and cheaper as well. I have my eye on a Zumo someday, but it is hard to part with the cash when my Quest 1 does 80+% of what I need...and it's paid for.

·
Premium Member
485 Posts

+1 on the Garmin 2610 for the most bang for your buck. I put a 2gig chip in it for on $25, which allows a download of the whole US of A, Canada, and room left for more. I got mine for Edge Navigation for under $200 with factory warranty and all the goodies.

Just my $.02

Bright Side :cool:

·
Registered
539 Posts
I bought a refurb 2610 and love it, but if I knew the Lowrance XOG was coming out I would have bought it.

I love lowrance's map details, trail/track functions and user set up ability.

But if you HAVE to have a Garmin the 2610 is tough to beat for the $$$

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
the 2610 isn't water resistant is it? The zumo is correct?

·
Registered
201 Posts
The Quest II will also accept marine charts. Lasts 20 hours per charge. But the best feature I like is that it keeps tracks of where you have been. I rarely use it to route me some place but use it to see where I am and where I have been. It is great at the end of a ride to upload the tracks to mapsource and see where I was.

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
The Zumo is terrific. The 2610 is big, doesn't have an internal battery, doesn't have the high sensitivity receiver, and often has old mapsets that are expensive to upgrade. It does have sone cool routing options and you can configure the front screen.

If I had a tight budget, I'd buy one of the Nuvi's and put it in a tank bag map sleeve. Some of them sell for $200, brand new. I've tried my old Nuvi 660 in my Explorer tank bag, and it worked pretty well.

We have a 2720 we're going to unload soon. I sold the others on fleabay, maybe this time I'll sell it here. No more Lima Lima Mike Foxtrot.

·
Registered
19 Posts
the 2610 isn't water resistant is it? The zumo is correct?
The specs in Garmin say the 2610 is water resistant.

I bought a refurbed 2610 off of ebay and love it. Correct that the 2610 does not have an internal battery, but I was able to get a free City Navigation 2008 upgrade from CN v7 with my purchase of 190 shipped. With a SW-Motech bracket and the Garmin hard wire kit, I spent right at 300 bucks for the whole deal. I'm very pleased with my choice.

RC

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
The Zumo is waterproof for like 10 minutes for submersion. The power pod connection I am not so sure about. Although I have had no problems.
Try to get the one you really want, then you won't be dissapointed. I love my Zumo, its been out for about 1 year now and I do not belive Garmin has made any significant improvments, or its still at the top of their line. This means they will continue to have updates that will be compatable for some time.
Be aware of this as some models are discontinued, the early signs will be sale prices. typically the updates will wain sooner on these models.
You are paying for the Zumo and the support for many years to come.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts