StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have a Zumo 550 but no SD card for it yet. If I do get an SD card for it, can the Zumo be used as a generic SD card reader/writer? I know the SD card should show up as a separate drive, but can I just freely create directories on the card, drop files, pull files, etc., even if unrelated to the Zumo? I basically need to put some pictures on an SD card to use elsewhere, so I was hoping to kill two birds with one stone.

Hopefully one of you knows or can try that for me. Thanks :)

- Adam

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
The Zumo comes with a USB to mini USB cord to attach it to a computer. The card then looks like a disk drive to the computer which assigns it a drive letter. The same goes for the Zumo's internal storage. You can then read and write any file as with any disk drive. The Zumo can even display pictures on it's screen.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Zumo comes with a USB to mini USB cord to attach it to a computer. The card then looks like a disk drive to the computer which assigns it a drive letter. The same goes for the Zumo's internal storage. You can then read and write any file as with any disk drive. The Zumo can even display pictures on it's screen.
I should have been more specific about my existing computer knowledge. I actually knew all that already, but thank you for the explanation anyway :)

I know that the internal Zumo storage gets mounted as a drive, and I thought that the SD card would get mounted as a drive also. What I wasn't sure about was whether or not the Zumo will allow arbitrary reads and writes to the card, or if (let's say) it only allows JPGs and map files, or something like that, with some wacky content filtering. It sounds like it's unobstructed read/write access, though, which is exactly what I was hoping :)

Thank you for the response :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
The Zumo and the SD card are displayed as different drives on the computer.

You can transfer any file you want to the SD card via the Zumo. However, I found the transfer rate to be much slower than when I plugged the SD card into a card reader. That only matters for big data dumps like music transfers.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
I know that the internal Zumo storage gets mounted as a drive, and I thought that the SD card would get mounted as a drive also. What I wasn't sure about was whether or not the Zumo will allow arbitrary reads and writes to the card, :)
I like to elaborate anyway figuring other people will be reading the thread also who may not have the same experience level.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How much slower is the data transfer? I'm guessing it's either limited by the Zumo hardware, or the USB 1 speed. I might be putting around 700 megs worth of pictures through it, but I suppose it won't be much slower than transferring the 2 gigs worth of the 2009 map upgrade ;). This will be a one-time thing, though, I just didn't want to shell out money for a dedicated card reader if I didn't plan on using it very often.

Greywolf, I totally agree, I always learn a lot from your posts, I didn't mean to sound discouraging! :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
How much slower is the data transfer?
USB 2.0 (most card readers) is 40x faster than USB 1.1 (Zumo). However, I wouldn't worry too much about it if your data transfers are infrequent or time is not an issue.

Also, I would recommend reformatting your SD card using the FAT32 file system rather than the FAT file system (if the SD card comes formatted as FAT). FAT is a pain because it has limitations like the number of files you can put in a directory, etc.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I think you will find the Zumo has a limited amout of memory. I have found this out when I was uploading my POI's. I even went as far as to remove the foriegn jibberish, and only kept the english talk. I suppose if you where to reduce the pixel resulotion in PS you could make up for some space, just depends on how much detail and how many. I want to say the human eye can detect resolution reduction at around 150DPI.
Check out ebay for sandisk deals, I have gotten some sweet package deals on the buy it now side of the fence.
Typically, I keep my routes, POI's, and low res images relating to a known POI on my Zumo.
All music files are stored on disc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts