StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out for an all day ride today, I noticed that my Zumo 450 battery was discharging. All of the connections are clean and dry. Placing the unit while switched off into the powered cradle it did not turn on by its self as usual.

When I got home, I checked voltage at the connector to the cradle & had 12v. I put the Zumo on my car cradle and it seemed to charge ok. It seems the MC cradle is not charging as it should. Anyone else have this issue and get any help from Garmin?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
The cradle has been the cause of many connection problems. Garmin replaced mine.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Cleaning the pins in the cradle with contact cleaner will keep everything working. I've been doing this about every six weeks or so for the last couple of years.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
Cleaning the pins in the cradle with contact cleaner will keep everything working. I've been doing this about every six weeks or so for the last couple of years.
:) Mio :)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll try cleaning the contacts again. Garmin agreed that the cradle probably took a dump and should be replaced.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I'll try cleaning the contacts again. Garmin agreed that the cradle probably took a dump and should be replaced.
The contacts are the most likely problem, however there are active electronics inside the cradle. Something could be going on there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Don't wash with cradle on the bike!

Many cradles fail after a day in the rain or a wash without the unit mounted. Remove the cradle when washing, regardless of what Garmin says.
Jack.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I actually had mine die in the rain on the way to work a couple of weeks ago.

Water actually had made it to the contact points with the zumo installed.

It was completely dead. Pulling the battery and resetting it did nothing. The fuse did not blow.

Sent it to Garmin. A few days later, I had a new one. No questions asked!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Interesting thread. I had my Zumo die on a trip over Memorial Day. Pulled it off to go eat and when I put it back on it was dead. Nothing, nada. Had paper maps for the rest of the trip but was a bit bummed to lose the trip log. Once I got home, I took the battery off, cleaned the contacts, and it came back to life. Hasn't failed again, and I just did a 400 mile trip to Sequoia this weekend in blazingly hot temps on the return trip. Guess these things are a bit finicky.

Bob

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This was the first hiccup I have had in 3 years of riding with it mounted from below freezing here in the spring and fall to 100+ in NC. Rain, shine, snow, etc. The day the mount died, I was seeing all sorts of odd error messages about incompatible accessories and disconnected XM receivers (none of which I have). It shut down a few times for no reason. I cleaned the battery and cradle connection contacts, but no joy. A replacement cradle cured it.

I think the comments abount washing the bike are right on. I make it a habit to remove the GPS when washing, but leave the cradle on and avoid it with the hose. Several days before it quit, my 4 year-old had "helped" me wash the bike.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
When in Alaska earlier this year my 550 stopped charging and was functioning strange. Sure enough one of the pins was corroded. Thoroughly cleaned the pins and contacts and all has been well. If you keep the pins and contatcs clean they won't corrode. Corrosion removes a bit of the coating and over time...you have a problem. Put ALL contact cleaning on your Preventative Maintenance list.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts