StromTrooper banner

Zumo Mount Location on Bike

7K views 46 replies 15 participants last post by  OydnaR 
#1 ·
Does the Zumo mount included with the Zumo mount it up high and center? I'm talking about above the instrument cluster at the base of the windshield. SWMototech sells a mount for this location on the bike. Does it look like that? Any pics of the Zumo mount?

#2 ·
The Zumo mount clamps. It does not go in the center unless you want to clamp at the center of the handlebars down low, obstructing the instruments. (if I recall correctly) The SWMototech mount works the way you describe. I bought one and I like it. I'll take a picture and post it here after I make coffee.

#3 · (Edited)
If you take the standard plastic plastic piece below the windshield and drill it, you can mount it high center.

If you have a Madstad, you can put in a cross bar to do the same thing. I see little reason to buy the SWM model if you can drill a hole. Here's both.

#4 · (Edited)
OK here ya go.

Here's the rider's view of the SW setup.

Here's the mount from the side.

Here it is from above. Note the small windshield clearance.

Here is the standard mount on my Electra-Glide.

#5 ·
Thanks for those pics! Very helpful. I'll try the Zumo mount first...maybe try the crossbar on the Madstad. Where would I get that crossbar at? Is it hollow? Size? Madstad adjustability impaired with that setup? Part of the appeal and price justification of the Zumo is that it comes with a bike mount. Is there any part of the Zumo mount that I need if I went with the SWMototech mount? I'd like to think its not wasted.

Barry

#7 ·
The crossbar can be just about anything with the strength required. A square tube like in the previous picture works. I used 1/8" thick x 1-1/2" aluminum angle. I didn't like the bounce in the RAM mount so made a solid mount later. Painting the E-Z Pass black and putting the Velcro on the other side cleans up its mounting under the crossbar too.

#8 ·
I just used the Garmin RAM mount that came with mine to mount it on the handlebars a little to the left so it didn't impeed my view of the instrument cluster. Works great for me.

#9 ·
I had a one off custom bracket fabricated out of plate aluminum at a local fabrication shop...... for half the money of commercially available mounts

it tucks the Zumo waay forward, it also stiffens & cleans up the appearance of the Madstad windshield mount (I have to lower and tip my windscreen forward to get at the security screw)

#12 ·
Whoohoo! Just finished mounting my zumo 550 using the SW motech mount. Works great! I had used it alot in the car but this was the first time on the strom. Love it! Thanks for the words of wisdom on mounting and the pics.

#13 ·
I recently mounted my Zumo using the Motech mount, with a standard RAM diamond base mounted to that, and then the mount that comes with the Zumo mounted to that. Put the Zumo in a nice position, but the display bounced way too much except on very smooth roads. Fiddled with trying to brace it for a while, then gave up, stripped off the RAM mounting bits completely, including the portion that came with the Zumo cradle, and then mounted the cradle directly to the Motech mount. The four mounting screws in the cradle line up perfectly with four holes on the Motech mount. To minimize vibration, I put a rubber washer between the cradle and the Motech mount. Later, to increase the viewing angle a bit, I added two more washers on each of the two upper mounting screws. To eliminate bounce, I swivelled the Motech mount down so that the cradle was pressed firmly down on a small rubber pad that I attached to the top of the plastic sourround of the instrument cluster. Result - no bounce at all, and about as vibration free as you can get. My cradle is no longer locked to the bike, but can't be removed without removing the windshield. That is no worse than before, since the RAM locking knob I had on was really false comfort, because a thief could just as easily remove the whole RAM setup, lock knob included, by first removing the windscreen.

Here are some pics:

View of Zumo from normal riding position

View thru windshield showing Zumo cradle mounted directly to Motech mount - note extra rubber washers used to increase viewing angle.

View from side to show Zumo viewing angle relative to angle of instrument cluster. Note that the bottom of the cradle rests firmly on the plastic surround of the instrument panel (small rubber pad inserted between cradle and surround.

RAM mount parts that were removed (caused too much bounce)

#23 ·
I can't recall ever not being able to see the Zumo screen.

I like the location above the instrument panel because I don't have to move my head. I can just glance down. I do have to lean forward to use it, but I don't change the screen very often so it's not a big deal.

#27 ·
I just bought the Zumo 550 and was unhappy to discover that should I wire the mount to my battery I'll void the warranty. Why can't I mount the 550 in the car cradle and plug into my powerlet that's right there? Any thoughts?:rolleyes:
Can you explain this. What warranty are you talking about and where does it say that it will be void??????

The Zumo is designed and sold to be connected to a battery, that's how it works.

#25 ·
do you mean 'should you NOT wire the mount to your battery?'

the zumo comes with a 6ft set of battery leads with an inline fuse and instructions for wiring to your battery...

i thought about not wiring directly (to my fuse box) and using the powerlet i've got on my dash shelf, but ultimately that option makes the most sense since i'm using a "permanent" cradle mount (sw-motech).

where are you planning to mount the zumo?

#26 ·
Void what warranty? Chances are 99.9% that is not the case. In the USA, the Magnuson Moss warranty act prevents such shenanigans. The Zumo Bike cradle includes a power wire that can be connected to a powerlet plug with no problem. The car cradle has a suction cup mount and non waterproof connector that should not be used on a bike. I don't understand what problem you think the bike cradle will cause. If you have a fuse box, wire the cradle to that.

#31 ·
Void the warranty???

In my opinion, a direct connection to the battery is the only way to go. It's true, you have to manage the Zumo when you turn off the motorcycle, but that's the only cost. The ability to use the Zumo when the bike is off far outweighs the probability to leaving the Zumo on and draining the battery. I guess it's a cost-benefit analysis each person must make. Will you remember to power off or remove the Zumo when you park the bike?

#44 ·
If the Zumo does not have a diode protected power input and can be blown up by getting the polarity wrong, that's Garmin's fault. That warranty wording is probably left over from other models that have power wiring with a 12V to 5V converter in the plug. People who cut off the plug and connect the wire directly to a 12V source deserve to be faulted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.