StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the Zumo mount included with the Zumo mount it up high and center? I'm talking about above the instrument cluster at the base of the windshield. SWMototech sells a mount for this location on the bike. Does it look like that? Any pics of the Zumo mount?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Does the Zumo mount included with the Zumo mount it up high and center? I'm talking about above the instrument cluster at the base of the windshield. SWMototech sells a mount for this location on the bike. Does it look like that? Any pics of the Zumo mount?
The Zumo mount clamps. It does not go in the center unless you want to clamp at the center of the handlebars down low, obstructing the instruments. (if I recall correctly) The SWMototech mount works the way you describe. I bought one and I like it. I'll take a picture and post it here after I make coffee.

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
If you take the standard plastic plastic piece below the windshield and drill it, you can mount it high center.

If you have a Madstad, you can put in a cross bar to do the same thing. I see little reason to buy the SWM model if you can drill a hole. Here's both.

·
Registered
342 Posts
OK here ya go.

Here's the rider's view of the SW setup.

Here's the mount from the side.

Here it is from above. Note the small windshield clearance.

Here is the standard mount on my Electra-Glide.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for those pics! Very helpful. I'll try the Zumo mount first...maybe try the crossbar on the Madstad. Where would I get that crossbar at? Is it hollow? Size? Madstad adjustability impaired with that setup? Part of the appeal and price justification of the Zumo is that it comes with a bike mount. Is there any part of the Zumo mount that I need if I went with the SWMototech mount? I'd like to think its not wasted.

Barry

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you take the standard plastic plastic piece below the windshield and drill it, you can mount it high center.

If you have a Madstad, you can put in a cross bar to do the same thing. I see little reason to buy the SWM model if you can drill a hole. Here's both.

QUOTE]

How do you cover up and/or fill those holes when you sell the bike?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
The crossbar can be just about anything with the strength required. A square tube like in the previous picture works. I used 1/8" thick x 1-1/2" aluminum angle. I didn't like the bounce in the RAM mount so made a solid mount later. Painting the E-Z Pass black and putting the Velcro on the other side cleans up its mounting under the crossbar too.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I just used the Garmin RAM mount that came with mine to mount it on the handlebars a little to the left so it didn't impeed my view of the instrument cluster. Works great for me.

·
Registered
22,267 Posts
I had a one off custom bracket fabricated out of plate aluminum at a local fabrication shop...... for half the money of commercially available mounts

it tucks the Zumo waay forward, it also stiffens & cleans up the appearance of the Madstad windshield mount (I have to lower and tip my windscreen forward to get at the security screw)

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts

Front Left bolted onto the madstad bracket. Its very solid and easy to reach with the left hand.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Whoohoo! Just finished mounting my zumo 550 using the SW motech mount. Works great! I had used it alot in the car but this was the first time on the strom. Love it! Thanks for the words of wisdom on mounting and the pics.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I recently mounted my Zumo using the Motech mount, with a standard RAM diamond base mounted to that, and then the mount that comes with the Zumo mounted to that. Put the Zumo in a nice position, but the display bounced way too much except on very smooth roads. Fiddled with trying to brace it for a while, then gave up, stripped off the RAM mounting bits completely, including the portion that came with the Zumo cradle, and then mounted the cradle directly to the Motech mount. The four mounting screws in the cradle line up perfectly with four holes on the Motech mount. To minimize vibration, I put a rubber washer between the cradle and the Motech mount. Later, to increase the viewing angle a bit, I added two more washers on each of the two upper mounting screws. To eliminate bounce, I swivelled the Motech mount down so that the cradle was pressed firmly down on a small rubber pad that I attached to the top of the plastic sourround of the instrument cluster. Result - no bounce at all, and about as vibration free as you can get. My cradle is no longer locked to the bike, but can't be removed without removing the windshield. That is no worse than before, since the RAM locking knob I had on was really false comfort, because a thief could just as easily remove the whole RAM setup, lock knob included, by first removing the windscreen.

Here are some pics:

View of Zumo from normal riding position

View thru windshield showing Zumo cradle mounted directly to Motech mount - note extra rubber washers used to increase viewing angle.

View from side to show Zumo viewing angle relative to angle of instrument cluster. Note that the bottom of the cradle rests firmly on the plastic surround of the instrument panel (small rubber pad inserted between cradle and surround.

RAM mount parts that were removed (caused too much bounce)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yes, my RAM mount is sitting on my workbench too.

I've got the exact same setup with a Madstad except I don't have the rubber washers. My Zumo does bounce a bit on a bumpy road but nothing major. Still I may give those rubber washers a try. Thanks.

·
Registered
184 Posts
To minimize vibration, I put a rubber washer between the cradle and the Motech mount. Later, to increase the viewing angle a bit, I added two more washers on each of the two upper mounting screws. To eliminate bounce, I swivelled the Motech mount down so that the cradle was pressed firmly down on a small rubber pad that I attached to the top of the plastic sourround of the instrument cluster.
Just curious.... what is the rubber mount you put under the Zumo? I just purchased the Zumo and plan on doing the same set up.

Also, just curious to know how you wired the GPS for power?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I recently mounted my Zumo using the Motech mount, with a standard RAM diamond base mounted to that, and then the mount that comes with the Zumo mounted to that. Put the Zumo in a nice position, but the display bounced way too much except on very smooth roads. Fiddled with trying to brace it for a while, then gave up, stripped off the RAM mounting bits completely, including the portion that came with the Zumo cradle, and then mounted the cradle directly to the Motech mount. The four mounting screws in the cradle line up perfectly with four holes on the Motech mount. To minimize vibration, I put a rubber washer between the cradle and the Motech mount. Later, to increase the viewing angle a bit, I added two more washers on each of the two upper mounting screws. To eliminate bounce, I swivelled the Motech mount down so that the cradle was pressed firmly down on a small rubber pad that I attached to the top of the plastic sourround of the instrument cluster. Result - no bounce at all, and about as vibration free as you can get. My cradle is no longer locked to the bike, but can't be removed without removing the windshield. That is no worse than before, since the RAM locking knob I had on was really false comfort, because a thief could just as easily remove the whole RAM setup, lock knob included, by first removing the windscreen.
Someone mentioned that a GPS should be pointed to the chest rather than your head to minimize glare. Will your setup allow that?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Someone mentioned that a GPS should be pointed to the chest rather than your head to minimize glare. Will your setup allow that?
The SW Motech mount allows the GPS to swivel up and down. I can see the Zumo in the brightest sunlight. I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The SW Motech mount allows the GPS to swivel up and down. I can see the Zumo in the brightest sunlight. I wouldn't worry about it.
Nordstrom improvised his. Curious if his setup allows the swivel. Is there ever a glare issue with yours? I've seen the sun visors that fit on the GPS but is it even necessary?

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Nordstrom improvised his. Curious if his setup allows the swivel. Is there ever a glare issue with yours? I've seen the sun visors that fit on the GPS but is it even necessary?
You can read the Zumo in all but the worst glare conditions. if you get any glare it's just a matter of moving your body slightly to block the sun, you may just have to move your shoulder slightly.

The only time I've ever had any glare is when the sun is just about directly behind you and easily blocked by slightly moving my body.

I have my Zumo mounted with the Zumo hardware on the left bar and like it there. I can easily manipulate the unit without moving my hands very far from the bars.

I preferred this location to having to reach forward to use it.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts