StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered a Zumo 550 and am looking for pointers with wiring it to the bike. Does the Wee have OEM leads that I can use or will I need to wire it into an existing circuit? I'm really hoping there are some leads I can use because I dread anything electrical (much better with the mechanical).

·
Registered
797 Posts
I think your options are to either tap into an existing wire (Posi-Taps?) or buy a fuse box and wire to that. Alternatively, you can try to wire into the factory grip heater connector. I guess you could wire the Zumo directly to the battery, but what's the fun in that? :)

·
Registered
202 Posts
I went directly to the battery. It was easy since I already have a battery tender lead on it. I found a mating end and spliced it onto the lead for the Zumo. When I need to plug the tender in, I just unplug the Zumo. No need to get fancy unless you absolutely have to have it wired to a switched power source.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
You could wire it to the battery and that way have the ability to play with the GPS, program it and such without having the key on. That is how I have mine set up. The down side is you have to turn it off and on when you stop. When I fuel up I shut the key off and monkey with the Zumo for a while so having it on a hot circuit is good for me. If you want it on a keyed circuit a good place to tap is your tail light or the OEM heated grip circuit ( if you can find it).

·
Registered
797 Posts
The ideas above have merits. However, my argument is that you want no more than one extra wire connected to your battery, preferably that of the fuse box power lead. That way, the chances of the battery terminals coming lose are greatly diminished. Additionally, a fuse box will allow great flexibility and protection for all of your electrical gadgets. Lastly, you can get fuse boxes that have both switched and direct power, getting the best of both worlds (GPS and battery tender go direct, lights, horn, etc. go switched).

Just my $.02 :)

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I have my Zumo wired directly off the battery. I like it staying on (yes, I know it gives you a nag screen option t0o continue on battery power).

It's very easy to connect this way as it comes with the battery harness.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies, I wound up running it straight to the battery which was simple enough. You know, at first I wasn't sure if the Zumo was worth $648, but after seeing everything that came with it I changed my mind. It's a really great set up. Next step is to find a bluetooth headset (does it ever end)!

·
Stromtrooper $upporter
555 Posts
I wired into a Blue Seas fuse box since I figured I'd be adding additional accessories to the bike.

As for blue tooth headsets, I have one by Cardo Systems, the Scala Teamset (so I can talk to a passenger). I've had it for 8 months and have nothing but good things to say about it. You can read about it here.

Or if you are a solo rider, you can check out this one or this one if you like listening to radio.

If you ride in groups, they just came out with this one.

There is, of course, many other options (brands) out there.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Thanks for the replies, I wound up running it straight to the battery which was simple enough. You know, at first I wasn't sure if the Zumo was worth $648, but after seeing everything that came with it I changed my mind. It's a really great set up. Next step is to find a bluetooth headset (does it ever end)!
+1, Love my Zumo, worth every penny.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Mtnhead, I was trying not to order more stuff for my new Wee, but you had to go and post a link to the Scala Rider FM. Needless to say I was forced to order one.

·
Stromtrooper $upporter
555 Posts
Thanks Mtnhead, I was trying not to order more stuff for my new Wee, but you had to go and post a link to the Scala Rider FM. Needless to say I was forced to order one.
Yeah, I know. But once the farkle bug hits....:p

·
Registered
256 Posts
I went directly to the battery. It was easy since I already have a battery tender lead on it. I found a mating end and spliced it onto the lead for the Zumo. When I need to plug the tender in, I just unplug the Zumo. No need to get fancy unless you absolutely have to have it wired to a switched power source.
When you say you found a mating end, do you mean a connector that plugs into the battery tender plug that is attached to the battery posts? Or did you splice into connectors that you hooked to the battery post?

My last bike had two hot power accessory connectors - one in the headlight bucket and the other under the seat. Nothing similar on the V-Strom?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts