StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I must say that I've loved my Zumo. I bought it with the bike at the beginning of December last year, and its combination of MP3 player, phone integration, decent maps, weatherproofing and an easy to use interface made it a great addition to the new bike.

Almost 9 months later, and it's suffered the dreaded Zumo Won't Start fault. Completely dead, I now appear to need to send it back to Garmin for repair or replacement, a week before I'm about to set off for a weekender on the bike in unfamiliar territory.

After only 9 months, I'm at least glad the VStrom has lasted longer than my Garmin.

:bom_thumbsdown:

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
Zumo discontinued?

When I was looking up info about the new Nuvi 500/550, I read somewhere that the Zumo has been discontinued. Don't know if its true or not. But already? It seems like it just came out.

Maybe part of the reason is that the Nuvi 500/550 is supposed to replace the Zumo.

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
When I was looking up info about the new Nuvi 500/550, I read somewhere that the Zumo has been discontinued. Don't know if its true or not. But already? It seems like it just came out.

Maybe part of the reason is that the Nuvi 500/550 is supposed to replace the Zumo.

The Zumo has not been discontinued as far as I can tell. If you has some concrete information please share it.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I finally got a little more chance to play with it today; the unit won't start in the car cradle, it won't start on USB, but it *will* start on the bike cradle. If I turn off the bike power it powers down instantly, rather than giving the usual 'continue on battery power' prompt, and if I turn the unit off with the bike powered, there is no 'charging' screen. Removing & replacing the battery doesn't solve the problem.

So, a fairly safe conclusion is that the battery is u/s, perhaps as a result of being used in the car cradle for a long time and, perhaps, something dodgy going on with that cradle's connector. I dunno, but at least I know it's something they can fix easily under warranty, and also that it'll probably work ok on my ride next weekend, for which I might hold off sending it in for another week...

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
Maybe the battery is okay and the DC circuitry is cactus.
Have you tried testing the battery with a multimeter to see if there is any charge in it? Do they come with a separate AC adapter when you use USB? USB by itself won't be enough to run the unit so if there is no AC adapter then they must run on battery only when connected to USB.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Mine powers up when using the USB connection and the battery charges through the USB computer port too. I've never tried it without the battery so I don't know what the thing should act like if the battery is shot. The car cradle also supplies power and charges the battery so there is something odd about that situation.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sadly I never got my multimeter out and checked the battery before this last weekend.

After our Stromtrooper weekender, the Zumo seems to be fully charged and holding its charge well. So it looks like it's a combination of:
1 - the bike mount is charging it fine.
2 - the car charger somehow is not charging the unit, but allowing it to run as if it's on power. I could believe this if there are multiple power pins, and one pin triggers the 'external power available' switch, while several others provide the charging current.
3 - the usb either isn't enough to adequately charge the unit, or can't charge it when it's dead flat.

Not sure if I'll send it back to Garmin given that it's working again. Maybe I should talk to them all the same...

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Sadly I never got my multimeter out and checked the battery before this last weekend.

After our Stromtrooper weekender, the Zumo seems to be fully charged and holding its charge well. So it looks like it's a combination of:
1 - the bike mount is charging it fine.
2 - the car charger somehow is not charging the unit, but allowing it to run as if it's on power. I could believe this if there are multiple power pins, and one pin triggers the 'external power available' switch, while several others provide the charging current.
3 - the usb either isn't enough to adequately charge the unit, or can't charge it when it's dead flat.

Not sure if I'll send it back to Garmin given that it's working again. Maybe I should talk to them all the same...
Did you check to make sure the car socket was energized? I don't have mine in front of me but is there a fuse in the car charger plug?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts