StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having mini dropouts in the audio for a while. High rpms, pushing or twisting the plug, resetting the unit and just about anything else I tried would change the quality of the sound. It turned out the cradle was not making good contact. Any movement of the unit in the cradle would affect the sound. If anybody is having audio droput/static problems, try wiggling the unit in the cradle. If that affects the sound, the cradle needs to be replaced.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Use a good contact cleaner on the cradle pins and work it in with your finger before wiping it off. A new cradle is only going to delay the inevitable. It's a crappy design. I use Caig D5.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Contact cleaner didn't do it. I think the springs on the pins get sacked.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I had to give mine a good bath with the cleaner the first time. Now I hit it about every three weeks. Audio problems aren't the only contact problems. Power up/down, loss of GXM antenna, and a few others have hit me as well.

One other thing to check is the weather gasket around the contact pads on the bottom of the Zumo. It can drift and cover the pads.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
I use a pencil eraser to clean my contacts and apply some dielectric grease around the base of the unit before I snap it in place. I used to have distorted audio on MP3s and the Navi voice but not anymore.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I use a pencil eraser to clean my contacts and apply some dielectric grease around the base of the unit before I snap it in place. I used to have distorted audio on MP3s and the Navi voice but not anymore.
The bad connections are internal to the mount. The contact pins that stick up from the base are spring loaded. The intermittent connections are the result of the spring not making good contact with the pins and/or the spring not making good contact with the underlying circuit board/circuitry. There are TWO points inside the cradle that are failure prone.

As I said, it's a crappy design for something that has to be out in the weather. I would have preferred a hard-wired connecting cable.

If I ever get inspired, I'll open up the cradle and hard-wire each pin to it's circuit board pad.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts