StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got it wired up today and so far so good. Took about 5 minutes on the phone with XM to transfer service from my 550 and also added XM Weather and traffic.
Fired the unit up and bingo. Weather radar is awesome and super cheap too. Forecasts and warnings,watch areas are just what you need to stay dry. Its like watching TV. Might even be a little dangerous. Took it out for an hour ride and no "crashes" so far. If it is as stable as my 550 was this will be one great GPS. Pricey but wow! I believe Garmin could have a real winner. Cannot wait to go wireless stereo. Hope it holds up!

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
If it is as stable as my 550 was this will be one great GPS.
I'm waiting this one out. It took 6 months for the 550 to be reasonable and the 660 is still giving me problems after a year and two different units. On the plus side, v3.8 of the 660 firmware came out in the last few days.

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
I have an older Garmin, but my Verizon Droid leaves it in the dust. Traffic, weather, Google Earth, and even Google street view which shows you a PICTURE of your destination so you recognize it when you get there (overkill, I know). It also pumps spoken directions into my Scala Rider headset via bluetooth. And, of course, it's still a phone. All for $100 and....ahem....that pesky smart phone subscription charge.

I'll still need the Garmin for times when I'm out of cell phone signal range, but except for that the Droid is a superior weapon.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I'll still need the Garmin for times when I'm out of cell phone signal range, but except for that the Droid is a superior weapon.
You must have a different Droid than the one I had. :yikes:

I'll keep the dedicated GPS.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Garmin 665 weather pics

One of these days I will figure out the pic sizing. Here is a few shots of the XM weather on the 665.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
What accessories and subscriptions are required and what do they cost?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Prices

Everything needed including antenna is in the box. I already had XM so the XM weather is an additonal $3.99 mo and XM traffic is $3.99 mo. I did not want the XM traffic but lady said you have to get it to get weather?
I will call and try to cancil it on next months bill. I have found it all depends on who you talk to at XM.

·
Registered
206 Posts
amazing picture

I've got to admit, that after getting my Driod, it is one bad ass piece of gear, BUT not that friendly when riding. I've got a 550 with XM and was curious if i subscribe to traffic/weather will I have anything that looks like that? I know your 660 is obviously updated from the 550, but how does the traffic/weather work for my set up? just curious if you know. that is awesome

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

The 550 does not support weather.That was the main reason I upgraded to the 665. I believe Garmin kinda mighta hosed people on 660. Got to have my tunes.

·
Registered
609 Posts
The 550 does not support weather.That was the main reason I upgraded to the 665. I believe Garmin kinda mighta hosed people on 660. Got to have my tunes.
Uhhh, the 550 does offer weather. This taken straight from their website:

"Add Traffic, Weather and Radio
With optional XM subscriptions and an XM antenna, you can check the weather, move ahead of traffic and listen to the radio when you travel with zūmo in the U.S. As an alternative, zūmo can receive optional TMC traffic alerts (in select cities) when used with a compatible traffic receiver. Simply press a button on the screen, and zūmo recalculates your route to avoid traffic tie-ups."

You may be confused as there are 2 different levels of weather. The zumo series does the basic not the full on radar. The basic is 4 dollars a month while the full package runs 100 a month. Only certain marine/aviation untis can even run the full package.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My 550 did not. May want to check out the Garmin site and research 550
XM features. States it is not weather compatible. May be able to get a chincy weather forcast but no radar,etc. on 550.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts