StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a (old) Magellan Meridian Color, want to update it my display is almost unusable in bright (Florida) sunlight

I saw a TomTom Rider the other day, the display was better than my Magellan, but not as good as I was expecting.

Has anyone compared the Rider to the (Garmin) Zumo (550?) in bright sunlight??

How is the weather and traffic information brought into the GPS, from what I gather the Garmin has to have another ($250) receiver / antenna?
Is that true? and is it about the same cost with the Rider?
How about Blue tooth and headsets?

How do the functions compare between the new Rider and the Zumo, software? reliability? Cell phone support?

I have been happy with my old GPS when I can see it (night and evening), I am leaning to the Garmin as a replacement, as it appears to have a better following in the US? Though if I have to buy a $250+ receiver for one and not the other (for weather and traffic), then that will be another item to consider.

Thanks for any input on this.....

·
Premium Member
2,208 Posts
the garmin offers XM radio, so long as you subscribe. that can be a godsend on a long, cross-country trip. a big deal for me.

if you don't need XM they are pretty comparable, IMHO.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know you need to subscribe to XM, but will it receive XM out of the box, or do you need to buy the +- $270 antenna for it...

·
Registered
316 Posts
You need to add the XM Radio GXM 30 Antenna to received the XM Satellite radio, traffic and weather. Subscription required to XM. I've seen the GXM 30 go for around $160.00-$180.00 on Ebay. For those that don't know, the GXM 30 is more than an antenna, it's the whole XM radio reciever.

Take a look around here... http://www.zumoforums.com/zumo for more info on the Zumo.

Take care,
Bob S.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TomTom weather & traffic (no XM?)

Thanks for the info... It appears the TomTom uses the cell phone (bluetooth) for traffic & weather, guessing you pay your cell phone provider for internet access? TomTom's web page says that City Maps are a PLUS service, wonder how that works? Do you have any city maps w/o a cell phone?
Also looks like the TomTom doesn't support XM at all?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts